Cheap TJ dash tray mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap TJ dash tray mod

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Richlost
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Cheap TJ dash tray mod

Step 1. Go to a junkyard, find a Grand Cherokee, there's plenty of them there, in the glove box you will find a small bungee cord like this...

Step 2. Put one end of the cord into the place where the center section, the instrument bezel, and knee bolster meet, like this...

Step 3. Slide it up to the top, like this....

Step 4. On the other side of the center section, at the place where the passenger airbag cover, and the grab handle meet, put the other end of the cord (NOTE) You should double knot this end of the cord!!!) like this...

push that double knotted end of the bungee cord into that space. Like this....

Step 5. On the same side, find the place on the cord where meets the top crease on the passenger airbag cover, pull the end of the cord back out and tie a knot at the spot where it meets the crease, like this...

Step 6. Repeat Step 4, and then use a pen or screwdriver to push the upper knot in between the center bezel and the airbag cover, Like this...

Now.... In addition to using it as an Ipod / toll money holder

or a cellphone/ stereo remote holder,

or anything else you can think of, like your camcorder
Mount it on it's quick release shoe

fit it into the coin tray, and stretch the cord over the camcorder.

It's no high tech solution, but it works great.

I originally posted this on another forum back in 2006, (the Garmin gps and the Razr cellphone probably gives that away) that old white 97 TJ has been sold, broken transmission & rotted frame and all, and now i have an 04 LJ, and I moved the same cord to the LJ, and it's still going strong.

Final note: This mod is specifically for TJs only, if I ever get another model Jeep I'll try some new innovation.

Good luck.

Richlost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
b0bf0rd

nice!!
b0bf0rd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
nottusyeroc
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You had Way to much time in your hands. but i would have never known that someone would have thought of some thing to keep my $h!t from sliding around there. I never thought that it was a problem till now thanks
nottusyeroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
yocarney
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...d=1t:429,i:106 well worth the money for the quadratec dash tray.
yocarney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
vizro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

helpful thanks
vizro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
rossd14
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Does that hold the camera steady while you're running?
rossd14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
rossd14
2000 XJ Cherokee 

down the road?
rossd14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.