Cheap seat lift - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap seat lift

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 05-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #46
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho-Jeep
Working on this right now... Thought I would buy enough new bolts to do both sides (driver and passenger) and I have many extra pucks around (my entire family plays hockey). Has anyone done the passenger side before? Does it cause problems with the seat being able to slide all the way forward?

thanks!

I am going to answer my own question...
I had the time and the parts so I went ahead and put the spacers under the passenger side also. If you slide the passenger seat all the way forward and then lift the back it will just rub a little on the under side of the dash area. Not much - not enought to hurt anything. I really like having both seats raised! One of the first things my wife and I thought when driving/riding in the TJ was that we felt to low - not any more - hockey pucks are the perfect spacer in my opinion. I used a saws-all to cut them square then a belt sander upside down to round over the corners. Both seats took about 2 1/2 hours to do and I am very happy with the results!

PS. I found black grade 8 metric bolts and washers at my local auto parts store that worked great. I wanted to avoid the shinny galvanized look. All-in all I spent $8.12

Last edited by Idaho-Jeep; 06-11-2008 at 11:17 AM..
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #47
wheelchairman

I have a zj so its not that easy but I just got a cushion out of a wheelchcair. They are very comphy cause they are gell inserts so they mold to your butt and you can just trim the foam undeneath down a bit to get a good size

I'm 5'1 so i just used a 2.5" but its definitly fully removeable
[COLOR=Yellow]TEEN JEEPER #20[/COLOR]
Trailblaze wrote: [COLOR="Lime"]are we talking gay like "happy"....or like lets wear some chaps and smack each others asses[/COLOR]
wheelchairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #48
btb601

I went out and set on a one inch book, not much different for me. Then sit on a two inch book and it made a big different. Not to good for road use, as stated before at a traffic light. It would be a big pain in the neck. Now if I was to Go four wheeling, I will kept this mod in mind. thanks
2002 4.0 Sport, 5-spd, Dana44 w/ Detroit Electra Locker, 4.5" R.E.- L A Lift, Old Man EMU Shocks,TrailMaster steering Stab, 5 Hellcats 10x15s, Good Year MT/R 35x12.5s,Warner Frt bumper/grill guard, Warner 9500TI winch, Tomken Rear Bumper and Carrier, Tera 4to1, SYE + CV drshft, Tomken Rock Sliders, , KC Titanium Lites
btb601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #49
Huntinjunkie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is another great cheap mod. and I ordered the pucks today. Was wondering if this will allow more storage under the seats as well. Can't wait to get those pucks and get started. Edited to add that I installed them and they work great. Only put one under each seat but that was plenty I'm 5"11. Thanks again for the great tip.

Last edited by Huntinjunkie; 08-05-2007 at 09:44 AM..
Huntinjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #50
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

will this work on the YJ back seat?
I want to put a storage box under there
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #51
YnNhOjNOrOoD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogsnightout
only problem is now I have to duck under the windshield frame to see the stoplights.
Take the top off and look through the roof!!
YnNhOjNOrOoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #52
hammer99tjdd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
LOL I am 6'6" and have a high BH-EH ratio so on my '06 LJ my head is banging the roll bar all the time. I moved the seat back 2 inches, but now I need to figure how to lower it at least 1 inch. That fold/tumble/recline seat mechinism will not be easy to lower. I think I'll need to eliminate the fold forward feature and hopefully be able to retain the recline. I have a '07 Dodge Caliber that has a seat that "cranks" up and down. I am thinking about spending an afternoon and seeing if the Caliber seat can be adapted to the Jeep. That crank up and down feature is pretty nice.
How did you move the seat back? Im 6'4 and long distance driving would be greatly improved if I can do that.
99 wrangler 4.0 5speed. 31" tires, and some other things. Colorado Jeep member #78
hammer99tjdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #53
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer06
How did you move the seat back? Im 6'4 and long distance driving would be greatly improved if I can do that.
There are 2 ways of doing it. You can do it yourself, or you can but the Misch Big Boy brackets. The store bought units move back 3". Mine go back 2" I used 1/4" X 2" plate to build mine. PM me if you want more details, but it is pretty simple. I also moved the back seat 2" as well to match the front.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #54
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't let any Mounties see the desecration of the pucks on any trips up nort
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #55
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutta View Post
Don't let any Mounties see the desecration of the pucks on any trips up nort

Yea, I am a hockey player too (I am guessing you are as well based on your location?). I just grabbed some my older pucks out of my bag - but I hated to cut them up.

Last edited by Idaho-Jeep; 05-31-2008 at 09:11 PM..
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #56
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, I used to play til my team fizzled a few years back and I hit 50 anyway at the time. Don't want to compromise in a 40+ league so.. go Wings!
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #57
rredrunner
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome idea!
rredrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #58
Krautzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hockey Puck Seat Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud n rox View Post
I used hockey pucks to raise my seats up. Pucks cost a dollar a piece and spend about $5 for longer bolts and washers.
Sorry to bring up an ancient thread,but does anybody who has done this mod know if ALL the seat mounting bolts are the same length? This will be going into an 04 TJ this weekend, and Id like to keep the parts runs down to a minimum. Thanks!
Krautzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #59
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautzy View Post
Sorry to bring up an ancient thread,but does anybody who has done this mod know if ALL the seat mounting bolts are the same length? This will be going into an 04 TJ this weekend, and Id like to keep the parts runs down to a minimum. Thanks!
Pretty close to the same lenght. I don't know about the passinger side, but the drivers side uses a larger diameter bolt on the rear inside hole.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #60
Krautzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hocky Puck Seat Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Pretty close to the same lenght. I don't know about the passinger side, but the drivers side uses a larger diameter bolt on the rear inside hole.
Guess Id better check em out then. I have everything else I need for the job. Looks like Ill be pulling bolts out and taking measurements sos I gets it right the FIRST time! Im guessing theyre metric, too. Thats okay; I Think Tractor Supply stocks those fasteners, and theyre just down the road a piece. Thanks!
Krautzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.