Cheap seat lift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap seat lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #31
awlamas

ok Im going to do this but I have 2 ques........1. Does this sacrafice SAFTEY in the seat?.....2.Does anyone know the exact size of bolt I need for my unlimited?

THANKS

awlamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #32
notch4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogsnightout
I used a set of skateboard wheels. They cost about $10 for a set of four and give about an inch and a half of seat lift. They are the perfect size and already have a hole drilled, so no sawing or drilling. $2 for longer bolts from the local hardware store and in 10 minutes I was done. Plus they seem to absorb some vibration. Absolutely love it, only problem is now I have to duck under the windshield frame to see the stoplights. Feels like a custom fit Jeep!

good idea! im ganna go to wlamrt and target and look for some
00 Yamaha Kodiak on 27"s
notch4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #33
jimmylev

What is this "hockey puck" you speack of? Never heard of it.
Unread 12-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #34
raysnutt18
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the puck is what is commonly used for in a body lift....but as can see there are two types of body lifts.....jeep body and the human body
Unread 01-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #35
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do ya really need to cut the pucks?
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #36
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew202
Do ya really need to cut the pucks?
No, but if you look at the pictures that were posted, it will make them fit into the holes in the carpet which is nice.. but you could get away with not cutting them.

They would be easy to cut though, even if you don't have a band saw, or jig saw, just clamp them to a workbench and use some sort of hand saw. A hacksaw would probably work well, and they are really cheap to buy if you don't already have one.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #37
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

has anyone used a rubber material to absorb shock better
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #38
notch4u

i can see that getting torn up and not lasting as long
00 Yamaha Kodiak on 27"s
notch4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #39
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
Is it possible to use a bushing? You could get them at any auto parts store. I think that it would make for a comfortable ride.
surfcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #40
kingsqueak
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
I would be concerned here because any give might add momentum in the event of a wreck and add to the possibility of the seats ripping out of the mounts. I'm no physicist though, but I have seen my fair share of wrecks (was an EMT for years) and the forces involved are immense, even at lower speeds.

I went with the Buchanan because I figured the solid aluminum blocks might be the best answer for altering stock mounts, creating the most rigid and locked down assembly. Hockey pucks are probably pretty close as they are so high density, but I'd be wary of using something soft and flexy.

What I imagine with flex mounts is all the driver's weight shifting in an impact so the weight that might be more evenly distributed winds up shifting to the front mounts more and the force pulling up on the back mounts increasing.... maybe I'm just paranoid.

Love my risers though, made a huge difference.
kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #41
FutureJeepOwner

I am going to be picking up the longer bolts and raisers today and without the jeep with me to look at, i am wondering what the bolts go into under the body?

Are there welded on nuts or should i count on replacing them?

thanks.
FutureJeepOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #42
Double_D

i could never imagine doing this mod my head already brushes aginst the roof of my xj but then again im 6 foot 5 i have been thinking of lowering my seats.
Double_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #43
kingsqueak
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D
i could never imagine doing this mod my head already brushes aginst the roof of my xj but then again im 6 foot 5 i have been thinking of lowering my seats.
There's a bunch more headroom in a TJ ;-) The risers put my head closer to the roof for sure but I don't hit it. It's better to have to put the lightinsight up to see traffic lights and have my legs properly supported for driving the stick all the time.

Plenty of headroom but the upper windshield frame isn't that high so the view gets obstructed a bit. It's still the most comfortable seating I've had in a vehicle though, now that the slack is taken up in my legs by the risers.
kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #44
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsqueak
There's a bunch more headroom in a TJ ;-) The risers put my head closer to the roof for sure but I don't hit it. It's better to have to put the lightinsight up to see traffic lights and have my legs properly supported for driving the stick all the time.

Plenty of headroom but the upper windshield frame isn't that high so the view gets obstructed a bit. It's still the most comfortable seating I've had in a vehicle though, now that the slack is taken up in my legs by the risers.
LOL I am 6'6" and have a high BH-EH ratio so on my '06 LJ my head is banging the roll bar all the time. I moved the seat back 2 inches, but now I need to figure how to lower it at least 1 inch. That fold/tumble/recline seat mechinism will not be easy to lower. I think I'll need to eliminate the fold forward feature and hopefully be able to retain the recline. I have a '07 Dodge Caliber that has a seat that "cranks" up and down. I am thinking about spending an afternoon and seeing if the Caliber seat can be adapted to the Jeep. That crank up and down feature is pretty nice.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #45
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Working on this right now... Thought I would buy enough new bolts to do both sides (driver and passenger) and I have many extra pucks around (my entire family plays hockey). Has anyone done the passenger side before? Does it cause problems with the seat being able to slide all the way forward?

thanks!
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.