Cheap exhaust mods? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap exhaust mods?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Closed Thread
Unread 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
apoto11
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cheap exhaust mods?

Hey guys I was wondering if anybody knows of any cheap/free exhaust mods that will change the sound of the exhaust. I'm not expecting to gain anything performance wise just something cheap that would sound cool.

If anyone knows of anything thanks in advance,

Aaron

apoto11 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

you can always remove/gut the cat. Not sure what it would sound like on the 4.0, but it made my dad's 5.0 F-150 sound much better with 40 series Flows when we took off one of the cats. Or you could straight pipe or go with a glasspack. Or cut outs. Not sure how any of these would sounds, but they would make it louder. the only way to make it sound BETTER is a quality aftermarket muffler/cat-back
Unread 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
you can always remove/gut the cat. Not sure what it would sound like on the 4.0, but it made my dad's 5.0 F-150 sound much better with 40 series Flows when we took off one of the cats. Or you could straight pipe or go with a glasspack. Or cut outs. Not sure how any of these would sounds, but they would make it louder. the only way to make it sound BETTER is a quality aftermarket muffler/cat-back

No, you can't remove or gut the cat, as it is against the law. This has been covered all over this forum.

As for a legal and cheap solution...just get a glasspack. They're wicked cheap and pretty sturdy so you won't need to replace it after smashing it on a rock.
Unread 08-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Glasspacks are like $20-30 at any auto store.
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Grants99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got a 30 dollar glass pack from kragen and it sounds bad a$$. I used another piece of angle tube to make the exhaust hit the ground instead of the rear axle. It sounds good looks good and the performance differance is incredible
Unread 08-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
BaystateTJ97
1990 YJ Wrangler 

go offroading in the pits by your house, then when your friend says there's no way you can do that when you come to a rocky part, land really really hard on that 5th rock down there on the right and just take the tail pipe right off...smash up the muffler real good too and cause yourself a $200 repair job...but it'll sound cool till you need to get it fixed for inspection
Vote for your freedom back on November 6, 2012.
BaystateTJ97 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaystateTJ97 View Post
go offroading in the pits by your house, then when your friend says there's no way you can do that when you come to a rocky part, land really really hard on that 5th rock down there on the right and just take the tail pipe right off...smash up the muffler real good too and cause yourself a $200 repair job...but it'll sound cool till you need to get it fixed for inspection
I like this idea the most
Jenyus425 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
94ZJLaredo
1994 ZJ 

ROFL hey its custom and free as far as exhaust.
94ZJLaredo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
trk3263
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Illegal

Since there is no inspection in Oregon is it legal to remove the cat? Or is it a Fed thing? My cat is rattling real bad and I don't feel anything loose with the shields so I am thinking it is the guts. I was thinking about just putting a test pipe in its place but I think that may also cause the check engine light to stay on?

Thanks
trk3263 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk3263 View Post
Since there is no inspection in Oregon is it legal to remove the cat? Or is it a Fed thing? My cat is rattling real bad and I don't feel anything loose with the shields so I am thinking it is the guts. I was thinking about just putting a test pipe in its place but I think that may also cause the check engine light to stay on?

Thanks
my fiance's cat is rattling in her audi and its because the innards are shot. u can get a replacement cat on the internet for like $40. i just got her a magnaflow replacement high flow cat for $40

check it out.
Jenyus425 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
Jigsaw89
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Removing the cat and gutting/replacing it with a test pipe will make the truck louder. As for legality... if the state of Oregon doesn't perform a safety and smog check via state inspection, then I say do whatever you feel comfortable with.
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
DeepJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You can gut the cat and the majority of places wont notice or really care. I wouldn't recommend taking it off because in an inspection they usually will take a peak underneath your Jeep to check for rot and things like that. As far as the cherrybomb/glasspack idea, my friend put one on his YJ, made it louder but pretty raspy and crappy sounding in my opinion. Sounds alright at low rpms. You'll be a lot happier in the long run with a nice flowmaster 40 series so save up and do it the right way.
DeepJeep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had this idea, it might be horrible but why not take a cat, gut it out, and use the shell around a straight pipe so you pass inspections, can just cut it at the top and reweld it where no one will see it if need be
C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Nates 4x4 rear bumper w/receiver and shackles
Iron rock offroad double shear adj trackbar
Jameslol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslol View Post
I had this idea, it might be horrible but why not take a cat, gut it out, and use the shell around a straight pipe so you pass inspections, can just cut it at the top and reweld it where no one will see it if need be
Hmm illegal, fails smog tests, sound will be a dead giveaway and otherwise a rather stupid idea. Oh yeah, without backpressure your performance will get worse.
Whybu1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk3263 View Post

Thanks
It is a federal law you are going to break taking off the cat. No smog test makes it less likely you get caught but still illegal.
Whybu1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.