Cheap, easy door holders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap, easy door holders

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
bvediz

Cheap, easy door holders

Hello all
wondering if anyone knows of any cheap and easy way to mount or hold doors when they are off.
Share ideas and pics if any.

Thanks

bvediz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
UnlimitedFun

I'm planning on doing something like this, should also work for full doors:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cheap-door-window-hangers-276127/

Blue & Silver '94 K1500 Suburban (Grocery Getter)
UnlimitedFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
bvediz

thanks

hey man
thanks for the idea
looks good, cheap, and easy
and those are my favorite words
thanks
bvediz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
anebrich

The only thing I can add is make sure you leave enough room at the top, that way you can just leave your windows in. I have to hang mine seperate, which is no big deal.
anebrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 01:28 AM   #5
jbars
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought an extra pair of hinges on ebay for 6 bucks, screwed them to a post in my shop, now when I take the doors off, I just slide them into the hinges on the post and swing them flat against the wall, neat, clean, out of the way and easy to do
jbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
arbby
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvediz
... looks good, cheap, and easy...
Just like my gf!!

Gone: 1993 YJ
arbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 02:23 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have full doors, not halfs. I screwed 4 big hooks into the basement ceiling. These are the 3" diameter rubber coated hooks usually sold to hang bicyces upside down. Roll the window down and hook them up.
Unread 07-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used the metal "L" brackets that held on those cheesy yj front bumper ends. Bolted them to the wall and drilled the bottom to accept the hinge pins.

EDIT: mine are like those in the 1st post, however I have both doors on one set of brackets, they balance each other.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
dorinh

Door Dolly

After seeing the nice Door Dolly in Quadratec I decided (like most) that I should be able to make something similar out of scraps laying around the shed.
Here's what I came up with:

I used 2X4's and Plywood that I had and ran to Home Depot for the Swivel Casters on the bottom. Took about 30 minutes to cut, screw together and put the doors on. I used a couple Bungee's to hold the doors together. They will sit by themselves, but my kids like to climb around on it, so it's a safety measure for me.

Now I have a great way to move those *&(#$% Heavy Full Doors around. There's also a little shelf between the doors for my Soft Tops Door Surrounds. Worked out slick.
Unread 07-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Kulae
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For extra and fantastic benifits to your post, dorinh, some dimensions would really help some people out. Though, it really does look like a complete and easy job to figure out. (this way too you can get another post :-D ).
Skyjacker 2" BB, 1.25" JKS BL and 1" JKS MML
75 WX ST CB radio with a 4' Firestik antenna
1.5" Seat risers custom made
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich T/A and Procomp Rockcrusher Series 99 rims
Kulae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
dorinh

Sahmbo1 -
Sorry, I just quickly posted the pics. I didn't take any step by step photos, but here is the parts list and instructions:

2X 2X4-25" Long (for the bottom pieces at each end - Where the wheels attach)
2X 2X2-28" Long (For the bottom pieces at each side - Holds the door from sliding off the edge)
2X 1/2" Plywood - 8" Wide X 16 3/4" long (For ends of the upper rest/shelf)
2X 2X4-20" Long (For upper section/Shelf
4X Heavy Duty Casters (Picked mine up from Home Depot - Total of about $20)
22X 2" (or 2 1/2") Deck Screws
16X 1/2" Wood Screws for caster attachment
2X 24" Bungee Cords (I measured from tip of hook to tip of hook)

Lay the (2) 25" 2X4 on the floor and lay the 28" 2X4's across them (at the ends) and attach using 2" (or 2 1/2") Deck screws (2 at each corner - 8 Used all together). Make sure everything is square! You should end up with a square "Frame" assmbly.
You should now be able to flip this assembly over and attach the casters from the under-side using smaller 1/2" screws (4 per caster - 16 used all together)
Set the "base" on it's wheels and attach the plywood pieces on the inside of the 2X4's which have the wheels attached to them. Use the 2" (or 2 1/2") deck screws for this and put them in the center (1/2 way between the wheels) (I used 3 screws for each piece of plywood here - 6 used all together)
After both pieces of plywood are attached, secure the 20" 2X4's to the inside of the plywood pieces at the top (I used 2 screws at each end of each board - 8 screws used all together). There may be a gap between the 2X4's. I use this gap for the stems of my extra set of mirrors when I have the doors on.
Sand and Paint if you desire.
That's it! You're ready to haul some doors.

Here are some changes I would make:
I would make the plywood pieces a little shorter. They hit the door pull now, and I wish they were a little shorter.

I would make the 25" 2X4's a little longer which will in turn put a little more lean on the doors when they are sitting.

My next set will fold up or something. This one works OK, but I'd like a way to store it when the doors aren't on the "dolly".

All in all, I thought it turned out pretty good. I took a couple measurements of the doors and then started sawing. My only expense was the casters. Your's may differ depending on the parts & pieces you have laying around.

Modify these directions and dimensions all you want and come up with a different design and post it on the forum. This was an easy project to make and I use it every day!

-Dorin
Unread 07-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #12
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorinh
Here's what I came up with:
Nice gizmo. I would think it's probably ok to fold in the mirrors now, or 'relocate' them back to the Jeep.
Unread 07-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #13
anebrich

That does look pretty good, I thought about doing something like that myself but I decided I would prefer my doors up and out of the way. Guaranteed the first time I put my doors on one of those on of my kids, or their friends, would end up leaning a bike against it and scratching the doors.

Good job...
anebrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
phydeaux
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I have full doors, not halfs. I screwed 4 big hooks into the basement ceiling. These are the 3" diameter rubber coated hooks usually sold to hang bicyces upside down. Roll the window down and hook them up.
Me too.
Only mine are in the garage on either side of my Jeep's sleeping stall. It has worked great, but watch your head.
Empty
Every
Pocket
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #15
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i bought some heavy duty L shaped shelf brackets from home depot
maybe $10 for the pair? mounted them to the wall and hang the doors
on them from the window frame. had them for about 2 years now, no
problems to report going that method.
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.