Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cheap Cool Mods

1M views 1K replies 623 participants last post by  Jmabry 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what are some cheap cool mods.... I've already got the stainless steele brackets, nuts and bolts. But what are some other things?

#2 ·
If you're tall, spin your rearview mirror around upsidedown, you get a much better view and can see unobstructed through the windshield! cost: $0.00 now that's a cheap mod!
Husky liners,spray paint headlight bezels, replace wiper blades with a better brand, take your back seat out, take the doors off ... I know, I'm getting crazy here but there are no major cheep mods you can do, it's a JEEP (just empty every pocket!) LOL

#4 ·
WranglerConway said:
I was just wondering what are some cheap cool mods.... I've already got the stainless steele brackets, nuts and bolts. But what are some other things?
Put a Caribener (spelling) for mountin climbing on the little pull tab for your seats it makes it real ez to pull the seat up

#7 ·
homemade discos-$10
Rock lights-$10 (harbor freight)
Skid plate for the gas tank- $50 (on ebay)
steering box skid- $40 (ebay)
silvania silverstar headlights- $45 (Pep Boys)
CB W/ Antenna-$80 (truck stop)
Cordura switches for all accesories-$20 (ebay)
Bikini/windjammer/duster-$125 (on the forum)
Husky liners- $40 (forum)

Can't think of any other cheap mods I have done off hand, I didn't include a BB or other lift, but by far the best modification you can do is lift and tires. GL, AL

#8 ·
Take off the front bumper ends and paint the headlight bezels, the front end will look totally different for the price of some spray primer, paint, and clear coat.

#9 ·
Find an old Mouse Pad and cut out the circles to match your drink holder bottoms. The Factory has those flimsy ones that always get lost cause they stick to the bottom of a sweaty cup. The Mouse pad ones are thicker so they stay put and look nice. Keeps your jeep looking like new. ;)

#10 ·
jtstj said:
Find an old Mouse Pad and cut out the circles to match your drink holder bottoms. The Factory has those flimsy ones that always get lost cause they stick to the bottom of a sweaty cup. The Mouse pad ones are thicker so they stay put and look nice. Keeps your jeep looking like new. ;)
You can buy a sheet of craft faom at WalMart that has a self stick backing. It's the same material that the little circles from the factory are made out of. Just trace, cut out, peel the backing out, and stick them in place. Then you won't have to worry about them blowing out when the top is off. :thumbsup:

#239 ·
Thanks! I didn't even know my Jeep came with them since it does have any. This will help!!!

:cheers:

#11 ·
Painting the fender flares has made a huge difference on my Jeep, looks several years younger now. Also, the headlight bezels got painted while I was at it. I've taken out the rear seat and carpeting and use it to haul stuff here on the ranch. Makes the Jeep look more rugged. Also I took off the endcaps on both front and rear bumpers as well as the roll bar surrounds on the back half. It's all about personal preference in looks.

#439 ·
Here's something I've been thinking of, and you made me remember it. I've seen wranglers with a spider web design net for the back to keep things from blowing out when the top's off.

I bought 300 feet of 550 parachute cord from an army navy store for other weaving projects for $19.75 with tax.

I wonder if you could cook up your own cargo net with the stuff. I'm working on a spider web design in my head right now.

#15 ·
WranglerConway said:
Two free mods... Using a hair dryer, gently heat (not too hot) the stickers on the visors and peel them off. Another is the foglight mod if you have stock foglights. Go here for info on the foglight mod. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70674
Read my recommendation there NOT to bend the pins on the relay.

#16 ·
Well

DUmb newbie questions here but,
What is discos?
What are you talking about "headlight bezels" aren't they chrome?
What is rock lights?

#17 ·
Wheelin98TJ said:
Those mountain climbing things (for lack of a better name) that j33p suggested also work well on the soft top as zipper pulls if you get the little ones. Especially if you have a sailcloth top - I have skinned my knuckles quite a few times on mine.
carabiners... they have cheaper ones at hardware stores (not for climbing) that support ~300 lbs.

If you've got a hardtop, use eyebolts instead of the regular ones... they offer places for tiedowns and don't require tools to tighten.

lj

#18 ·
Flyingbrass said:
DUmb newbie questions here but,
What is discos?
What are you talking about "headlight bezels" aren't they chrome?
What is rock lights?
All i know about are the bezzels. the are the chrome part around your headlights.

#19 ·
I took the padding off of my rollbar and painted it black, I was thinking about john deere green, but my wife put the stop to that one. I also took the rubber end caps off the front and rear bumpers. I wired up my starter and ignition to 2 different switches so if you wanted to steal my jeep, you will have to find the 3 switches and button instead of just having a screwdriver you insert into the key cylinder and turn. I have put keychain rings on all the zippers, I had a ton of those around and not too many carabiners

#21 ·
#23 ·
Taking off the plastic bumper extensions is free and totally makes the jeep look better. Does anyone know why they are even there in the first place???? Now that I think about it they do nothing but make the Jeep look ugly.....hmmm I guess its one of those questions that will go into the Why is there brail on drive through ATMs category

#285 ·
idk guy, those plastic ends saved my fenders and flares when some dumb lady cut my off and the time i was off roading and a tree jumped out in front of me

#24 ·
Well.

If the headlight bezels are already chrome why in the world would I knock off the chrome on a 2004 Unlimited Wrangler and paint it red to match the color of the Jeep. I thought "customizing meant taking off everything that was red and having it chromed or replaced with chromed parts. I'm only 31 so surely I can't be that out of touch.

#825 ·
If the headlight bezels are already chrome why in the world would I knock off the chrome on a 2004 Unlimited Wrangler and paint it red to match the color of the Jeep. I thought "customizing meant taking off everything that was red and having it chromed or replaced with chromed parts. I'm only 31 so surely I can't be that out of touch.
im a chrome man myself and im only 19 lol..i like the lower rocker chromw and nice chrome wheels..i dont go overboard by any means ha just look at my truck

#25 ·
AZ_wldcat_TJ said:
homemade discos-$10
Rock lights-$10 (harbor freight)
Skid plate for the gas tank- $50 (on ebay)
steering box skid- $40 (ebay)
silvania silverstar headlights- $45 (Pep Boys)
CB W/ Antenna-$80 (truck stop)
Cordura switches for all accesories-$20 (ebay)
Bikini/windjammer/duster-$125 (on the forum)
Husky liners- $40 (forum)

Can't think of any other cheap mods I have done off hand, I didn't include a BB or other lift, but by far the best modification you can do is lift and tires. GL, AL
Where on the forum can you get the Bikini/Wind Jammer/Duster for $125?

#26 ·
Flyingbrass said:
Yup, You are showing your age! Many young guys and gals are anti chrome. Often a mod is to paint over chrome and such that old guys like yourself :rofl: find attractive. As for me I'm 55 and still don't care for alot of chrome. Even with my Harley I have kept the chrome to a minimum compared to other guys my age with Harleys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.