Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cheap Cool Mods

1M views 1K replies 623 participants last post by  Jmabry 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what are some cheap cool mods.... I've already got the stainless steele brackets, nuts and bolts. But what are some other things?

#210 ·
well turning your underwear inside out and wearing them is a much better idea then letting everything that your filter has collected have wide open access to your motor. what you are essentially doing when you flip that air filter is taking all the dirt that the filter has collected (minus the "heavy stuff") and dumping it directly into your intake manifold. that would basically be the exact same thing as not having a filter on at all during the time that all the stuff collected in the filter with one exception. and the exception is, if you werent running the filter, the miniscule particles that have been collected would be introduced to your engine a little at a time, whereas the way you are doing it, your are dumping it all at the same time....

#220 ·
Ding ding we have a winner:thumbsup:

Of course I didn't mean put the dirty side up... only someone that doesn't know their a** from their elbows would do that:laugh:

#213 ·
oh i see how he means it if you are right badge. not flip as in top to bottom, flip as in front to back .. yeah i guess that would work...

#215 ·
man those flares look great .. do you know if they make that stuff in just a little more of a flat black, b/c that semi gloss looks good on your yellow, but i think it would give too much of a sahara look on my black ... right now i use the black magic interior protectant on my flares, and it gives the exact look i want (not glossy, but a good deep dark black) but the main problem with it is that everytime you wash it, or it rains, you have to reapply it..

#221 ·
Krylon Fusion also has a flat black, but I went with the Satin Black based on other opinions from this forum. I don't think you can go wrong either way.:cheers2:

#216 ·
I would just get some satin black, it will have the look your after I used it on my flares on my black jeep and it looks great. You can get it in a rattle can if you want or if you have a paint gun spend alittle more money on them.

#218 ·
a safety net (you can modify a snow net) and some cargo clamps will keep your arms in the jeep when you roll
or use some gloves and cable w quick disconnect mounted to the dash to keep the drivers left and passengers right hand inside the jeep

washable seat covers

use a 3/8 thick chain and bolt it behind the front seats will keep the dog out of the front and give you a place to tie his leash to so he don't fall out the back when you hit a steep hill worked great with my English mastiff in my tj

that space behind the front seats is a great place to put small tool boxes(bolt them to the floor)

remove your sway bar and disconnects and install limiting straps with use a hitch pin for easy removal
just drive slow around turns

Use a old soft coil spring and remove the seat brackets flip the seat over and weld a steel plate to the bottom and weld a 1/8 thick 90(L channel)w holes down both sides
Cut the spring to the height of the old seat was off of the floor weld a plate to the floor with brackets for the spring and weld another set of 90 channel down ths sides of the bottom
weld the spring to the top of the seat then using the brackets to bolt the spring to the floor then use 4 straps about 2 inches smaller then the spring and use bolts run through the 90 channel holes to connect the upper and lower 90 channel(might need to have someone heavy sit on the seat or use those weights that have been collecting dust in your garage)
the straps keep the seat from doing the playground animal thing
you now have a springer seat
cost about $40 per seat

#223 ·
i think i may buy a can of each and spray the inside of one flare flat and another flare satin to see which i like better before i do the outsides of them .. and which ever color i decide to use, i will use the other color to finish the inside of the rest of the flares .. or paint the undercarraige or something, i dont know..

#256 ·
I just swapped the pass. with the driver's and vice-versa.

#242 ·
I also thought of doing a sunroof for my hard top, but it has the ridges on it. I figured it would be to much fab. and it would be a expensive replacement if I buggered it up. I decided to try insulating instead. It gets from -30 to even -40 up here so insulation should help.

#247 ·
!Tic-Tac Third Brake Light!

Cheap, Easy and Looks Bad-A$$!!

I made a third brake light out of some leds and a tic-tac box.

You need some big 10,000mcd directional red leds, some resistors, a box of tic-tacs, some wire, soldering iron + solder and some welder's putty... and, some black rubberized paint to finish it off!!

Attachments

#248 ·
I changed the middle directional led to a diffuser. It's a 5mm 4,000mcd red diffuser. I did this so that it 'fills' up the area with a bright red glow while the other ones (the big 10mm ones, can 'shoot' out the red beam to other drivers). It gives the light a more 'designed'/OE look.

I used the welder's putty to 'lock' the leds in place!

Attachments

#249 ·
I then sanded the box with 250 grit sandpaper and painted it with black rubberized paint.

I inserted the hardened welder's putty/led assembly and filled the rest of the box with black silicone to weatherproof it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.