Cheap Cool Mods - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap Cool Mods

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #826
bmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Thanks! Did not expect many (any) comments, because of all the younger, ANTI-chrome members on the JF.
For everyones information I tried removing the chrome grill inserts (on when I bgt her) but the paint underneath is all chewed up.
I'm interested in success others have had painting over chrome. Does it last?

RJ
if you dont want the chrome inserts i'll take em..maybe they will work on my ole yj...then you could just repaint where the inserts were

Unread 10-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #827
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I used a satin black industrial enamel. on my bumper, bumper corners, grill, headlight inserts, and the chrome trim ring that retains the lights.

Those stupid chrome retaining rings look dump and stand out like a sore thumb with the rest of the grill and inserts being black.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #828
vjw0307
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've made several cheap mods, some already mentioned.
*I "flat blacked" my head light bezels, antenna and grill inserts ($7 for the paint).
*I Herculined the entire interior of my Jeep. The kit costs $89 at most auto stores...but Advance has a $35 off any $85+ purchase so I ended up getting it for around $55...then another $20 for extra items I needed.
*LED's for the instrument and HVAC panels ($22 for 8 LED lights)
*Rock Lights ($19 for 2 lights at Walmart...came with everything you need)
vjw0307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #829
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I mounted these two weeks ago. They are 9mm clip holders.. They are real nice and thick plastic, seem pretty heavy duty. I have a firesteel in one. In the other i have a multi-tool, and a Allen wrench to get my high lift off.

lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #830
vjw0307
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been actually trying to find a good place to mount my 9mm...anyone done this?
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #831
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjw0307 View Post
I've been actually trying to find a good place to mount my 9mm...anyone done this?

I used to have a cheap holster (Uncle Mike's) mounted to the inside of the center console to hold my Glock 23 when the doors are off...with the doors on, I just keep it in the door pocket.
Unread 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #832
vjw0307
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I have a concealable Glock 26 that I carry in the car...no room on the console...may try to mount it under the dash. Not sure yet.
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #833
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjw0307 View Post
They make these really cool things called a holster...

honestly, the less you are moving it from one holster to another the less chance it has to attract your finger or something else to the bang switch.
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #834
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

well it really serves no purpose but it lookes nice
I made some tire valve stem caps with 9mm shell casings I took the existing plasic cap and used some glue of some sort and pushed the cap into the shell

Note: if you dont want the shells to tarnish shoot em with some spray clear coat
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #835
jarhead1775
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Install a kill switch to the battery and don't tell anyone where u put it that way retardation can't steal it cost 25 dollars and about an hour of ur time once u figure out where u want to put it
jarhead1775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #836
vjw0307
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Created a unique toolbox for my Jeep. Spent $10 on an old military amunition box and painted it flat black to match the Jeep. Now it stores my jumper cables, flash light and random tools. Mounting it behind the center console in the back (I removed the back seat).

Unread 11-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #837
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead1775 View Post
Install a kill switch to the battery and don't tell anyone where u put it that way retardation can't steal it cost 25 dollars and about an hour of ur time once u figure out where u want to put it
Depends on where it is. If you tap it to the ignition under the dash, it would be easy to find and tamper with. Better to run it from the battery itself or something else and hide the wires.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #838
karlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
I used a satin black industrial enamel. on my bumper, bumper corners, grill, headlight inserts, and the chrome trim ring that retains the lights.

Those stupid chrome retaining rings look dump and stand out like a sore thumb with the rest of the grill and inserts being black.
Looks a lot better now. How much did it cost you?
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #839
Zdrisko

For other like myself who enjoy seeing at night. I had a lightbar on my Wrangler then decided to mount the lights on the windshield brackets. Either way, I was tired of reaching for the toggle switch. I decided to buy a high-beam switch for a older Ford truck and use it for my auxiliary lights. I mounted it on the floor next to the drivers kick panel. Works great! I could post pics but I'm sure you all know what kinda switch I'm talking about. After mounting and wiring, cut a notch out of the carpet (if you have it). Looks OEM.
Zdrisko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #840
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdrisko View Post
For other like myself who enjoy seeing at night. I had a lightbar on my Wrangler then decided to mount the lights on the windshield brackets. Either way, I was tired of reaching for the toggle switch. I decided to buy a high-beam switch for a older Ford truck and use it for my auxiliary lights. I mounted it on the floor next to the drivers kick panel. Works great! I could post pics but I'm sure you all know what kinda switch I'm talking about. After mounting and wiring, cut a notch out of the carpet (if you have it). Looks OEM.
Good idea. I'm old enough to know what you're talking about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.