Cheap Cool Mods - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap Cool Mods

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 08-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #796
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoJeeper92 View Post
What do you guys think of the idea of putting something on the side of the hood that would resemble old ww2 war plane exhausts? I'm not sure if it would look good or just a little rediculous.
Form Follows Function, especially on a Jeep. Those WWII exhausts were functional for their purpose. Functional for your purpose is a simple hole and screen.

Unread 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #797
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

unless he routed the exhaust through there, one pipe per cylinder!!
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #798
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

that would enhance his off road capability, as his exhaust system would be not in danger of rocks
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #799
jeepinvader
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i think that'd be hella cool
Unread 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #800
shiftclick
2002 TJ Wrangler 

DIY Tail Light CB Antenna Mount ($7)

I noticed the other day that my CB antenna mount was wiggling way too much for my liking, and after investigating it, I found that the screws going in to the sheet metal on the back of the jeep had come loose over time. Not wanting to put more holes in my jeep, I opted to make my own mount.

I had been admiring those tail-light mounts for quite some time, but the $30 price tag never agreed with my cheep sense. So I headed off to Lowes today and mulled around the sheet metal and steel aisles just looking for something to jump out at me. It needed to be easily modifiable as I have no welding/cutting tools with the exception of my Dremel and Mr. Blue Torch. While walking down of the aisles I came across this:

Large stainless steel gate hinge ($7)

I knew that with a little finessing, I might be able to make it work. The first thing I did was to fit the metal cutting wheel to my Dremel. I then through the hinge in to the vice and decided to cut the hinge side that had less metal at the bottom.

After that, I removed the tail light and did a quick, dry fit. I put the hinge behind the tail light and used a sharpie to mark where 2 other holes would need to be drilled. I then set to drilling them out.

Next up was another dry fit, and choosing how far I needed to bend the end to make a tab for the antenna to ride on. I had previously routed the cb antenna through the body and in to the tail light assembly and then out a hole in the side (I need to address this hole before fall sets in ). I opted to go about 2 inches from the top.

Here's the hole I was talking about:

I next put the hinge back in to the vice short side down - or the side with the tab mark on it - so I could use the bulk of the length of the hinge as a lever to help bend it. This is where Mr. Blue Torch comes in. Took about 3 minutes of heating it up - both sides - and then pushing or pulling on it to see if it was maleable yet. After that third minute BAM! It went right over. It was perfect. I carefully removed it from the vice and threw it in some water to cool it off.

Next it was time to install it on to the Jeep and test it to make sure the SWR was still good. Everything was good, so I put it all back together.

Finished product:

I might take it off and paint it black, but i'm pretty happy with the results! I do plan on loctiting the old mount and using it for my signal flag when we head out to the offroad park.

Hope that helps you guys!
I'm currently between Jeeps...
shiftclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #801
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Someone else on here did this, and I copied it. I figured I'd share with the non XJ crowd.

It's not done, that's why there is extra hanging down.

Less than 50 feet of 550 Paracord that I gutted and wrapped. I did it yesterday and I'm really happy with the results. I've got less than $5 invested and an hour and a half of my time.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #802
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftclick View Post
Here's the hole I was talking about:

Finished product:

Hope that helps you guys!

Nice write up !

Looking at the size of the hole I think a Grommet for a PVC valve on a valve cover may work. Check the HELP section at the local autopart stores
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #803
Jamesbbh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So actually got some work on the jeep done last night:

KC daylighters from craigslist --$20
Took the bumper off, removed the rubber bumper things, and bolted these things on there I had laying around

Cut the front part off

Drilled some holes

Mounted, I'll take it back apart and bedline/reinstall everything tonight.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r...-made-1171226/
Jamesbbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #804
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hi lift Mod

I've been a viewer of the site for a while, but never a member until today !! Figured I would share the mods I did earlier tonight before I came into work. I have a mount on my hood for my hi lift. From it being used and abused I decided to take it apart and clean it up and repaint it. I was looking at it all dissasembled and came up with an idea. I grabbed two rubber corks ($1 a piece) for each end of my handle. It is perfect to store some extra fuel line and brake line. Also installed a quick disconnect for it instead of the codder pin that it comes with. Last and final thing I did was grabbed a shovel head and set it up to quick connect and disconnect from the handle. So It was just a jack handle.. Now its a handle a storage container and a shovel handle.
lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #805
gryphon
1994 YJ Wrangler 

any pics of the handle mods?
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #806
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah let me take some pics and throw them up here... I also made some nifty zipper pulls for my windows out of 550 cord.. They work really well
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #807
Smallblockmjt
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Being a newbie on site, I've been reading alot of the old posts on "cheap fixes" & "technical info". Alot of the posts are old recycled info but none the less are still very informative. One of my favorite is "turning the rear view mirror 180 degrees upside down putting the tab on top". What a difference it makes giving more driving visibility. That was real brilliance on the member who originally came up with it and in his honor, the site moderator should make that suggestion a "permanent sticky". IMOP, Michael T.
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #808
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #809
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry Didnt realize they were that blurry !!!
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #810
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

These are the zipper pulls that I made... 8 total.. had the 550 cord laying around and made them for free.. i cant believe the difference they make when i put my windows on and take them off.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.