Cheap Cool Mods - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap Cool Mods

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #781
chadito99

i wanna do something cool but can't think of anything

chadito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #782
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I needed to space up my third brake light for my 33" spare, so I bought 4 longer bolts, and then 4 black pipe nipples. Cost me $10, compared to buying a kit for whatever the cost is.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #783
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i wish i had done somthing cool...
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #784
shu2kill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadito99 View Post
i wanna do something cool but can't think of anything
the first step on doing something cool, is identify a need... once you have the need, look for commercially available solutions.... if you buy it, then most probably it wont be cheap.... so, once you know how others address the issue, you can think of how can YOU fill the need in a cheaper way.... after that, you would have done something cool and cheap... btw, i would prefer to call it inexpensive, cheap sounds as if it was crap...
shu2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #785
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a cool mod that only cost a buck or so. Lowes sells those cable/hose ties like an XJ uses for the coolant overflow line.

Either snag afew at the JY or pick them up at the hardware store (less than $.25 a pop). I then used some spare trim screws to screw them into my center console. Great place to slide an ink pen and a sharpie to always have it handy.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #786
WhiteRabbit22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was sick of toting my tools around with me in a duffle bag, so I decided to mount a giant locking ammo can to store my tools and stuff in.

A while back I had added a locking mechanism to this can so I could travel with my firearms without having to worry about baggage handlers getting curious. I JB welded the screws on the inside so it can't be unscrewed.

Then I simply drilled holes in the can and then used machine screws to hold it down on the inside. Nobody can move it without opening it, and nobody can open it but me, because I have the only key. ;P

The can cost me about $20 a while back, and the lock and screws and stuff I had laying around. That's a pretty cheap tool box if you ask me.
WhiteRabbit22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #787
AZ94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Box...
AZ94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #788
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit22 View Post
I was sick of toting my tools around with me in a duffle bag, so I decided to mount a giant locking ammo can to store my tools and stuff in.

A while back I had added a locking mechanism to this can so I could travel with my firearms without having to worry about baggage handlers getting curious. I JB welded the screws on the inside so it can't be unscrewed.

Then I simply drilled holes in the can and then used machine screws to hold it down on the inside. Nobody can move it without opening it, and nobody can open it but me, because I have the only key. ;P
Really, honestly. The padlock just keeps honest people honest. Anyone that really wants in will either pick the lock, break the lock, cut the lock, cut the box, or just take the box.

A battery powered dremmel and about 2 minutes and I could cut the box around the lock to defeat it. I'm not knocking the idea. I keep a plastic foot locker in the back of my XJ. I just hope you don't have a false sense of security.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #789
WhiteRabbit22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not completely naive. I don't even lock my doors because I'd rather they just take something than cut through my soft top (even though they could unzip it).

But any amount of deterrent is a good thing.
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #790
ospreyguy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
Really, honestly. The padlock just keeps honest people honest. Anyone that really wants in will either pick the lock, break the lock, cut the lock, cut the box, or just take the box.

A battery powered dremmel and about 2 minutes and I could cut the box around the lock to defeat it. I'm not knocking the idea. I keep a plastic foot locker in the back of my XJ. I just hope you don't have a false sense of security.
And 2 minutes of griding with a dremel won't attract a bit of attention... Granted it would work but the likelihood of that same theif walking on by instead of just grabbing a tool bag sitting there is a lot higher. And how many people thieves included carry around a battery powered dremel? I've never even seen one. (yes I know they exist but that is giving a dumb dumb too much credit...)
ospreyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #791
Jamesbbh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyguy View Post
And 2 minutes of griding with a dremel won't attract a bit of attention... Granted it would work but the likelihood of that same theif walking on by instead of just grabbing a tool bag sitting there is a lot higher. And how many people thieves included carry around a battery powered dremel? I've never even seen one. (yes I know they exist but that is giving a dumb dumb too much credit...)
I keep one in a holster on my belt and have a CCW license for it
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r...-made-1171226/
Jamesbbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #792
WhiteRabbit22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbbh View Post
I keep one in a holster on my belt and have a CCW license for it
lol

Well, if I happen to come across a thief who has a CCW to carry a battery powered dremel, and he's breaking into my tool box, I'll be sure to take advantage of the CCW permit I have that let's me carry a gun, and disarm him of his dremel.
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #793
Jamesbbh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit22 View Post
lol

Well, if I happen to come across a thief who has a CCW to carry a battery powered dremel, and he's breaking into my tool box, I'll be sure to take advantage of the CCW permit I have that let's me carry a gun, and disarm him of his dremel.
Good call, lol

I have the same outlook on jeep "security".I know if someone really wants it they can take it, but I'm going to make it as much of a PITA to steal as I can and hopefully break their willpower before they break my locking (insert whatever here). Also, I rarely leave anything of value in the jeep, unless it's a pistol or something.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r...-made-1171226/
Jamesbbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #794
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbbh View Post
Good call, lol

I have the same outlook on jeep "security".I know if someone really wants it they can take it, but I'm going to make it as much of a PITA to steal as I can and hopefully break their willpower before they break my locking (insert whatever here). Also, I rarely leave anything of value in the jeep, unless it's a pistol or something.
I've got bottles of water in the center console and some $10 sunglasses on top of the dash. No security afforded with this vehicle.
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #795
PsychoJeeper92
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK. it took me like 3 days to read all 53 pages of this, and my girlfriend was startin to get pissed that i spent more time with my laptop then her, but this thread has given me a lot of great ideas for my TJ. I had one that i thought up when i saw some side vents some jeepers have done. What do you guys think of the idea of putting something on the side of the hood that would resemble old ww2 war plane exhausts? http://www.timadamsphotography.com/4...nose%20art.jpg like those. I'm not sure if it would look good or just a little rediculous. if you have done this or heard of it. let me know what you think.
PsychoJeeper92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.