Cheap Cool Mods - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap Cool Mods

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 11-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #61
bigredgum

Instead of taking off the dreaded end caps, I cut a hole in the top of each front cap to hold my favorite cold beverage. That way, no knocked over soliders while working under the hood, no scratched fenders from gritty cups/bottles, and makes it within easy reach.

A second mod to that would be have appropiate size hole for beverage, then on outside corner of cap cut an opening large enough to fill cap with ice to keep icy beverage icy. Of course a small drain hole in the bottom would be nice too.

I've read of eveyone already playing in 3' of snow and over here in Ga we're still gettin' 65+ weather. Ya always want what ya don't have.

On that note, for the yanks, in the snow, why not make the side hole big enough for a heat pack to keep yer kafee warm.

bigredgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2004, 11:33 AM   #62
xyz123
Super Senior Member

I'm in my mid-30's and do not like any Chrome; It requires extra work to keep from rusting; I also don't like plastic the fades after a few years...

The solution for me was stainless accents as replacements for things such as the footman loop on the hood, hood latches, gas tank filler neck (which not only fades, but collects wax.); I also removed the licence plate holder and painted it to match the jeep (another fade and wax collection point). I also painted the plastic triangle on my doors at the windows (for those with full hard doors) to match the jeep. These are all subtle items but will get noticed.

One cheap mod I've been thinking about is adding extra lights to the bottom of the hood. Use a relay to supply the power from the battery, but instead of installing a switch somewhere, connect the "switch" circuit on the relay to the little light that comes on when you raise the hood (until the first time you wash your engine and get the bulb wet). Even with the bulb blown, the switch would still work, turning the lights on and off when the hood is raised and lowered (provided you hook the wire "upstream" of the bulb).

This could be done with very little wire, a $4.00 relay from the auto parts store, and whatever lights you have... or decide to purchase.
xyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 08:26 PM   #63
Black&Tan_TJ

Rocker switches in factory blanks $0 if they come with your aux lights

Storage bins behind the front seats -$10

Walmart cup holder console on dash $10 or $12

3d cell mag light holder $0

Last edited by Black&Tan_TJ; 12-19-2004 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Moved pics
Black&Tan_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #64
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredgum
Instead of taking off the dreaded end caps, I cut a hole in the top of each front cap to hold my favorite cold beverage. That way, no knocked over soliders while working under the hood, no scratched fenders from gritty cups/bottles, and makes it within easy rea... <snip> ...
On that note, for the yanks, in the snow, why not make the side hole big enough for a heat pack to keep yer kafee warm.
excellent idea... I love it.
Awhile ago, I ran a cigarette lighter adapter out the front grill (another good idea)

i can plug in my 12v coffee cup heater up front in the spill-proof end cap. Maybe i can drill the bumper out and make a metal version since my endcaps are gone.

mmm mods....

lj
Unread 01-01-2005, 09:30 PM   #65
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a quick and easy mod for you guys. go out to a TSC store and pick up a couple of these babies.

they're only a 1.29 a piece and are supposed to be rated to 1200 lbs (not that i would recommend trying it since i doubt the sheet metal of the tub would hold)

while you're there, grab a handful of 1/4x20 lock nuts, bolts and washers for the number of rings you bought.

now, take your goodies home, find a likely spot behind or under the back seat(don't drill into the gas tank), on the fender wells, on the side of your hard top, where ever! personally i put two on either side of the jeep on the floor behind the back seat to run a tie down or bungee across the top of my tool box back there, so it doens't bounce and slide around anymore on the trail. only took about an hour to buy everything and get them installed, and it only took that long becuase i had to be under the jeep and holding the wrench inside at the same time while tightening the nuts down. makes for a great addition if you have the top off a lot since you can use bungees, straps, rope, etc at will.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2005, 01:38 AM   #66
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
Here's a quick and easy mod for you guys. go out to a TSC store and pick up a couple of these babies.

they're only a 1.29 a piece and are supposed to be rated to 1200 lbs (not that i would recommend trying it since i doubt the sheet metal of the tub would hold)

while you're there, grab a handful of 1/4x20 lock nuts, bolts and washers for the number of rings you bought.

now, take your goodies home, find a likely spot behind or under the back seat(don't drill into the gas tank), on the fender wells, on the side of your hard top, where ever! personally i put two on either side of the jeep on the floor behind the back seat to run a tie down or bungee across the top of my tool box back there, so it doens't bounce and slide around anymore on the trail. only took about an hour to buy everything and get them installed, and it only took that long becuase i had to be under the jeep and holding the wrench inside at the same time while tightening the nuts down. makes for a great addition if you have the top off a lot since you can use bungees, straps, rope, etc at will.

you could also revit them down. that way you dont have to hold the wrench on the other side. the larger size revits are pretty strong, but you need a bigger tool to pull them.

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2005, 01:41 AM   #67
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugZy_YJ_94
you could also revit them down. that way you dont have to hold the wrench on the other side. the larger size revits are pretty strong, but you need a bigger tool to pull them.
hmmm, didn't know they made pop rivets in 1/4" sizes. either way works, you just need a buddy to hold the wrench on one side. not like you're going to be moving them around all the time.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #68
Jerry All-Bran

I've got mods to share (that I really like) that i've added to my jeep.

(1)Stock Ugly Gray Rims - Black Rockerguard - painted the rims, looks awesome until I I get some Cragar 352's.
Hubcaps - Black Spray paint to match
(Look at my jeep photo in my signature area to see how you like it)

(2) Replaced overhead light bulb to red - when driving at dark topless you can turn it on and it gives a Vietnam jungle light style. 3 or 4 bucks - CANADIAN!!

(3) Decals - in the area where it says Jeep, Wrangler, 4.0 Liter, TJ, etc...i have the Special Forces emblem on mine, doesn't show on the photo i have currently cuz I got them afterwards.
Jerry All-Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #69
nnixon42
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDrew
If you're tall, spin your rearview mirror around upsidedown, you get a much better view and can see unobstructed through the windshield! cost: $0.00 now that's a cheap mod!
Great idea. I've always had a problem with where the mirror was situated. Now have to get used to seeing the world upsidedown.
Unread 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #70
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Those of you having problems with stickers/residue. I work in a bio-med warehouse and I constantly have to remove stickers from equipment. Always start from least potent and work your way up. Here's what I do. . .

1) Try mild soap

2) Hair dryer and razor blade (this almost always works)

3) if just the dryer isn't working, soak the sticker in denatured alcohol for a bit. The alcohol will almost always take away residue as well

4) Industrial strength Goof off

5) Gasoline

6) and one special chemical that will burn your lungs out for the really, really hard stuff

Heat and an agent to loosen the sticker are going to be your best tools. Slide a razor under there and your sticker should just pop right off
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 06:08 PM   #71
04rubicon

Black&Tan TJ

Black&Tan TJ how did you make the maglite holder?
04rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #72
SunnyHillsrider

a cheap mod in a way. I had a million of those little cellphone car holders. You know, the generic ones that have the round clip thing on the phone, and a plastic holder you use that double sided sticky tape to stick to the dash. Well, I didn't have a CB mic-holder. Well, the round holder on the back of a CB handle will fit in the generic cell phone holder. I also shot the screw that helps hold the lower dash (below the steering wheel) through the plastic holder so I am using existing holes and it sticks better than the double sided tape it gives you.
SunnyHillsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #73
gILLANEY

Cool Mod! Cheap too!

I got tired of having to take outthe fuse when doors came off, and the new tj's have plastice guards covering the door switch wires. So I went to wal-mart and bought 2 small chrome toggle switches and mounted them to the flat section (where the dash bolts on above door switch) that is only visible when you open the door. I wired them into the switch so when I take doors off I just flip the switch (doesn't hit the door because they are really small) . It's also cool because if you want to be incognito at night you can flip the switches and lights won't come on when you open the door!
Great personal mod!
Gonna try hedlight bezels on my new tj this weekend!
gILLANEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #74
04rubicon

gillaney

how did you mount those toggle switches to disable the door lights? got any pics? cause i was planning on making my own version of the quadratec one the wires inbto your fuse pannel can you let me know?
04rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #75
gILLANEY

toggle switches

Don't have any pics working yet. I need to find an online posting place. But basically it's an old fashion toggle with the crome flip switch. Drill hole where it goes and still switch through the back and there's a little washer/nut thing that screws on from the front. Really easy. Haven't done it to my new one yet, but am going to soon. good luck!
gILLANEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.