Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cheap Cool Mods

1M views 1K replies 623 participants last post by  Jmabry 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what are some cheap cool mods.... I've already got the stainless steele brackets, nuts and bolts. But what are some other things?

#552 ·
I put a bit of self-adhesive Velcro on the tire gauge, and some on one of the front legs of the Driver's Seat frame, and that keeps the tire gauge just handy. No rattles in the glove box either!

Also, on a ZJ there are two fuses that need to be pulled to get all of the interior lights off (the door lights are on the gauge fuse). To quickly identify them when I want to keep the lights off, I put little pull tabs of Duct Tape on them. That way, the two I need are easily seen amongst the 15or so fuses in the box, and they're super easy to pull out.

#555 ·
My buddy and I did this a couple days ago. We went to LKQ salvage yard and found a few Grand Cherokees with disc brakes in the rear. We took the e-brake set up, backing plate and caliper with all the bolts for 70 bucks. You can't beat that when the new kit costs well over $500.. Drum brake to disc brake conversion, 70 bucks and a couple hours

#556 ·
Do you remember what year GC's you got the parts from? This sounds like a relly good thing. Any other odds and ends you think I would need off of the donor vehicle for this mod?

#558 ·
This is a common swap. IIRC, the ZJ axle's are d35's. If you have a d35 in your XJ/TJ/YJ/ect.... it's pretty much a direct swap. If you have an 8.25, you have to have the backing plates hogged out a bit to fit over the larger axle tubes.

#563 ·
It took me about 2 or 3 hours to read all of this, but it was worth it. Answered a lot of my questions, and gave me some great ideas. And personally, I think those painted mud flaps look good, they pop out pretty nicely and match the factory color. And that reminds me... Hello Mr.Troll :wavey:

#572 ·
I can half understand tolerating an odd harsh feeling (harsher than something roundish) shifter head on the t-case, since it's not often shifted. However, I do not understand at all the draw to rough feeling shifters for the trans, or any unique shifter that would be prone to disappear from a topless Jeep in a parking lot. When shifting that often, I want something extremely comfortable and with a skin friendly heat transfer coefficient. My 'fancy' trans shifter is from my daughter's old '92 Acura Integra.

There are a lot of ways to make your Jeep look badass without sacrificing comfort.

#573 ·
I'm working on modifying a b&m t handle shifter, with a ball bearing,
so that it is firmly attached but i can spin it around while driving( multiple positions, easier if you say have a welding burn in one spot, or a blister) plus i like to spin stuff lol
also working on a 6 inch extension for the shifter, kind of like a rat rod, but it is comfortable for me.
ill get pics up

#593 · (Edited)
Cheap to keep me legal...

Michigan law requires a minimum of two mirrors. My wallet requires a minimum of expenditure. So, to run sans top AND doors, I did a cheap mirror.

Total cost $27 because the only mirror I could find was $26. Will post pics when I get to a real computer and not my CrackBerry! :D

edit: Finally made it to a 'real' computer. Uploading the photos of my 'Cheap Jeep Mirrors' now.

edit: took off that straight bracket underneath the 90* curve. replaced the supplied bolt with a 2 1/2" bolt and the mirror bolts right to the hinge now. looks 1000% better. Will post pics if anybody asks!

#594 ·
On the subject of mirrors...

I just have not had the time yet to do this but I bought a cheap set of "towing" mirrors that strap onto your exisiting mirrors. Well, one broke a clip that helps keep it locked onto your mirror but it has these great plastic arms and a 360* swiveling action. I was going to cut those plastic arms down, and put a bolt through them in place of the door hinge pin. $15.00 in cost.

#595 · (Edited)
Another Cheap Mod

Another cheap Jeep mod - Remove the Milk Jugs

Cost: $0
Effect: Priceless

With Milk Jugs :confused:

Without Milk Jugs :cool:

...achieve a 'custom' bumper look without spending any :2c:

#597 ·
You guys looking for cheap mirriors have to ask ourselves what problem are you trying to solve. Simple compliance with laws can be had for $3 and 10 minutes work. If you feel you actually depend upon the mirror to drive, would crash without one, then you'll have to spend more to get a OEM sized one/something.

I went with the $3 fix since I run no top or doors all the time, it's easy to know whats around me.

Someone said 'MI requires two mirrors'. I suspect that means the inside mirror and one outside. The only time I've ever seen a law requiring two outside is on tow vehicles or when the center mirror may be useless due to a load.

#602 ·
I can send you my Harley mirror and mounting system (I put a nylon spacer on it, so you can tighten it down) but I only have the one for the driver's side.

Yes, it is actually off of my Harley...

I will run out and take some pic's of the $15 mirrors that I plan on modifying.

#603 ·
Here are2 pic's of the cheap trailer towing mirrors I plan on modifying. I am going to cut down the plastic arms (to a length yet to be determined), drill a hole through them and put a bolt through them and through the door hinge bolt hole. Completely adjustable.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.