Cheap Cool Mods - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap Cool Mods

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #196
Semi-stockYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I made a Cold Air Intake for my 4-cyl 95 YJ It was really easy, adds gas millage, gives noticeable power increase, gives a better sound to the otherwise stock engine, and all it took was the stock airtube from a tj, a K&N high flow air filter, and a 1/4-inch threaded adapter. Total it cost me maybe 45 dollars, and it really to do. Plus I used the stock airbox as a heat shield.
here are instructions: http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/engine/airintake/

this is mine before the shield is in.

Semi-stockYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 04:14 AM   #197
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Marine PA View Post
To keep this rear seatbelts from flapping when the top is down I use 2 of the trap bungies that are a loop of bungie cord with a ball on the end they are exactly the right length to fit around the roll bar tight without having to wrap more than once.
I just took them out when I removed the back seat and all the brackets.
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #198
Semi-stockYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey 06trailrig, I see that you have made your own snorkel, can you show mu pics? I wanna do this too for days when I go in the mud
Unread 08-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #199
shane_huskey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

semi-stock YJ, good luck with that when you hit a mud puddle that comes up to the filter .. the idea behind the airbox on wranglers is to keep water out of the engine, cold air intakes are more for the on road vehicles...
'06 6cyl 6spd X - 2.5" Rough Country Progressive Springs, Rough Country Performance 2.2 Shocks and Steering Stabilizer, 1" PA BL, 1" JKS MML, 33x12.50 TrXus M/T's w/ Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers on 15x8 Ravines

JEEP is spelled wrong.. It should be spelled J-U-N-K
shane_huskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #200
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I store my jerry cans on the back of the vehicle and get the gas out using one of those siphon tubes with a glass ball at one end..but found that storing it in a 'circle' stopped me getting to the bottom of the can as the hoses was always curling up out the fuel... so I got a cheap piece of pvc pipe and carry it with me - thread the hose through the tube and it remains perfectly straight and gets every last drop out the can (well almost)
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #201
Semi-stockYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_huskey View Post
semi-stock YJ, good luck with that when you hit a mud puddle that comes up to the filter .. the idea behind the airbox on wranglers is to keep water out of the engine, cold air intakes are more for the on road vehicles...
I've actually not had a problem with it yet...you would think that I would...but I have a heat/mud shield that completely blocks the bottome from any mud being taken in. Honestly I thought the same thing untill I tried it one time, and didn't even have any close to the filter...although...I would like to have the ability to have a snorkel already bolted on so that when I decide to go deeper than the intake I can easily switch it out...any Ideas on that one?
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #202
shane_huskey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

well im not sure if this is true, so someone that knows a little about physics may want to chime in to let me know if i am right or wrong, but here goes. if you put a "y" connector on the cold air intake, and run the other opening of the "y" connector to the snorkle, you should be fine, and the reason i say this is b/c water is more dense than air (likewise with mud) and intake will feed the least resistant material into the engine, so if your cold air intake were to become submerged, i don't think it would suck up into the intake.

caveat: your cold air system would have to be positioned lower than the actual intake manifold so the water doesnt just flow in, so the air would be sucked in. if the pipe has 2 openings, and one is more free flowing than the other, then the free flowing pipe would win out so to speak.

be advised, i do not have any type of degree in physics, so this is purely conjecture, but the way i have it pictured in my head, i think it would work .. if i am wrong, i would rather someone speak up and tell me i am wrong than for someone try this and destroy their engine...
'06 6cyl 6spd X - 2.5" Rough Country Progressive Springs, Rough Country Performance 2.2 Shocks and Steering Stabilizer, 1" PA BL, 1" JKS MML, 33x12.50 TrXus M/T's w/ Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers on 15x8 Ravines

Unread 08-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #203
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

If you were to do that you could only go as deep as the intake manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #204
Broken_Soldier
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_huskey View Post
well im not sure if this is true, so someone that knows a little about physics may want to chime in to let me know if i am right or wrong, but here goes. if you put a "y" connector on the cold air intake, and run the other opening of the "y" connector to the snorkle, you should be fine, and the reason i say this is b/c water is more dense than air (likewise with mud) and intake will feed the least resistant material into the engine, so if your cold air intake were to become submerged, i don't think it would suck up into the intake.

caveat: your cold air system would have to be positioned lower than the actual intake manifold so the water doesnt just flow in, so the air would be sucked in. if the pipe has 2 openings, and one is more free flowing than the other, then the free flowing pipe would win out so to speak.

be advised, i do not have any type of degree in physics, so this is purely conjecture, but the way i have it pictured in my head, i think it would work .. if i am wrong, i would rather someone speak up and tell me i am wrong than for someone try this and destroy their engine...
Your open snorkel will allow pressure within the tubing to remain equal with the outside and allow the water level inside the tube to equalize with that outside the tube. Water is denser than air and it will push its way into the intake pipe through your filter unless the air pressure within the tubing counterbalances it. That counter balance cant happen if you have an open snorkel at the top.
Unread 08-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #205
shane_huskey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for helping out with clarification broken soldier

Unread 08-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #206
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

even if that was possible, the air outside the jeep at the end of the snorkel is going to be colder than the air on top of the engine under the hood.
Tony89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #207
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

On the air filter note, if you have a stock airbox and use the good old paper filters, if you've ever taken it out to check and see all the gunk is only on one side of the filter(all the crap takes the path of least resistance), when it gets relatively dirty(not straight black!), you can remove it, beat whatever "heavy" stuff may be on it, and install it flipped around so it's primarily sucking through the cleaner and previously negligibly used air filter surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #208
shane_huskey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
On the air filter note, if you have a stock airbox and use the good old paper filters, if you've ever taken it out to check and see all the gunk is only on one side of the filter(all the crap takes the path of least resistance), when it gets relatively dirty(not straight black!), you can remove it, beat whatever "heavy" stuff may be on it, and install it flipped around so it's primarily sucking through the cleaner and previously negligibly used air filter surface.
i would say that is a pretty bad idea. it may be sucking air through the clean side, but the air goes completely through the filter, so all you are doing is taking the dirty side and giving it a wide open path directly into your motor...

Unread 08-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #209
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Flipping the air filter after knocking off the big stuff! Wow, that is a very very bad idea. The minute particles that the filter collects in the membrane will soon be running through your engine. That sounds like turning your underwear inside out an re-wearing them after a few days. That would not be a good idea either.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #210
shane_huskey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

well turning your underwear inside out and wearing them is a much better idea then letting everything that your filter has collected have wide open access to your motor. what you are essentially doing when you flip that air filter is taking all the dirt that the filter has collected (minus the "heavy stuff") and dumping it directly into your intake manifold. that would basically be the exact same thing as not having a filter on at all during the time that all the stuff collected in the filter with one exception. and the exception is, if you werent running the filter, the miniscule particles that have been collected would be introduced to your engine a little at a time, whereas the way you are doing it, your are dumping it all at the same time....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.