Cheap Cool Mods - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap Cool Mods

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #181
Longspoon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

speaking of ammo boxes...

Stormtrooper this is awesome dude...

http://macamar.com/sitefiles/warn-wi...unt/Index.html

do you padlock those? If so do they rattle around alot?

Join these groups... NGJC #4 - VA Jeepers - LJ Owners
"I'm not a Republican because I grew up rich, but because I didn't want to spend
the rest of my life poor, waiting for the government to rescue me." MH

The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect. - CR
Finally, a word to those of you out there who have yet to be offended by something I have written or said: Please be patient. I am working as fast as I can. - AC
Longspoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #182
Heepajeep

Those in the link look like the 50cal boxes I had.
My Jeep was a trailrider only so had no need for padlocks. I suppose you could anyway and shove a piece or rad hose over the lock body to prevent rattles.

I see in the link he removed the collapsable lid handles most likely due to rattling.
Heepajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #183
Huntinjunkie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heepajeep
I embedded 50cal ammo boxes into the cowling beteween hood and windshield.
The real 50cal military steel ammo box with watertight gasket.
One on each side sunk as far as they would go and welded into the cowl.
Good place to store winch remote, tree saver, gloves, snatch block, etc. etc.
Would love to see a picture or two of how you have it located & fitted in there. I just put a shovel under my hood today but the more stuff under there the better.

Last edited by Huntinjunkie; 07-22-2007 at 10:34 AM..
Huntinjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #184
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

OK here's a few;
If you have replaced the steering wheel on your CJ use the turn signal bright/dim switch for the front air locker (those with newer vehicles can put a dimmer switch on the floor and use it for either the air locker or to dim the head lights.

Mount an ammo can under the hood for tools (they cannot steal what they do not see).

Use hose clamps to keep extra radiator/heater hoses attached to the grill support bars (Use the straight universal fit radiator hoses).

Use the existing rear spring mount bolt locations with longer bolts to mount your rear CJ tow hooks, hook pointed up (cut the tips off of the hooks so that you can get the tow straps over them).

Use Velcro "One Wrap" (double sided Velcro) to secure things like flash lights, folding saws fire extinguishers etc. to the roll bar.

Hide a switch to run the winch from inside the vehicle up under the dash to keep curious fingers to from activating it.

Mount one of a pair of stereo speakers above the mirror on the windshield frame then run the wire inside the frame to the CB radio (makes it much easier to hear what is going on) (CB radios are cheap and make communicating within a group much more interesting on trail rides).

One wrap (Velcro) a can of bear spray to the seat frame so that you can get to it easily if large dogs are encountered when trail riding with the doors off (did this after an encounter with great danes). (I asked the local LEOs at the cop shop and they said that pepper spray is not considered a concealed weapon in Colorado, check local legalities before you do this.)

Use a box end wrench to compress the fingers on E-brake cables so that they can be removed from the backing plate.

Use a length of 2" PVC pipe with end caps to store your welding rod for off road use (Cheap & water proof) (One wrap it to the seat frame.)

Check your dash for unused indicator (idiot) lights (YJs and newer); activate them and use them to indicate air lockers, rock light etc. activation.

Use a scrap yard 80 amp or larger alternator to help keep from killing your battery due to winching (or excessive numbers of lights/stereo amps etc).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #185
Heepajeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie
Would love to see a picture or two of how you have it located & fitted in there. I just put a shovel under my hood today but the more stuff under there the better.
I will see what pics I have. I no longer have that Jeep but maybe I have a pic or two.
Heepajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #186
YJ_95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Has anybody moved the original speaker bar to the front of the roll bar, over the driver's head?

if so, did you just rotate 180 degrees so there was minimum drilling or did you place it so it would be symmetric with the original layout?

just curious. you can get as anal as you want to about mods. some want to save time, others want the appearance that they care about their "beaters".
Unread 06-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #187
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I use the small space under the back seat in my YJ to store soem small goods. Ponchos, emergency bag, change of clothes, etc...
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #188
SOLOLUCKY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

rock ghear shifter

a rock gear shifter can be made from a rock, a bit of epoxy putty and a nut (or 2 welded together like i did)
find yer favorite rock, remove the old knob, find a nut that mathes the threads on yer shifter rod, epoxy the nut to the bottom of the rock, let it dry and bam yer done!! much cheaper than a $30 rock shifter sold out there.
no drilling or anything.
rock- free
epoxy putty- $3.50 at hardware store
SOLOLUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #189
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
a rock gear shifter can be made from a rock, a bit of epoxy putty and a nut (or 2 welded together like i did)
find yer favorite rock, remove the old knob, find a nut that mathes the threads on yer shifter rod, epoxy the nut to the bottom of the rock, let it dry and bam yer done!! much cheaper than a $30 rock shifter sold out there.
no drilling or anything.
rock- free
epoxy putty- $3.50 at hardware store
ok, now how do I make one for an automatic?
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #190
jmenegazzo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan318 View Post
Kickass shifter, and im glad to see that im not the only one with mobil oil products bouncing around in teh floor.

now what could we do with that 4x4 chunk???
I just bought a 40 mm inert grenade box, and this weekend Im bolting it up to my rear bumper, will use it to keep the oil products, jumper cables and ropes, maybe you can do the same.
jmenegazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #191
lespaul_custom
1993 YJ Wrangler 

pick up a used army belt of some sort at the local surplus store and made some new door handles for the yj, total cost $5 just cut them to the length i wonted and used the brass grommet for the screw hole...
The weird thing is that I thought I hear a minor bang, almost like a fart sound coming out of my Jeep, but I'm not sure what it was. It has never happened before the glue incident.
www.coosa.org white jeep club #1993 looking to buy complete rear seat belts
lespaul_custom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #192
JeepRev
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It might seem goofy, but I got sick of all the clutter in my center console. So I got some cheap sticky hooks and put a few of them in the console to hold keys and a small flashlight. I also taped in some heavy card stock to the side of the inside of the console to hold misc. papers and a pen. That was practically free and now I can find some of the junk in in there.

Anybody seen pictures of a yellow Jeep with black bezels. I'm thinking of painting them up but would love to see a picture of someone elses's first.

Last edited by JeepRev; 07-25-2008 at 10:43 AM..
JeepRev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #193
BowlingPinPie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

haha im rockin a different keychain bottle opener on all my soft top zippers. eazier to zip & damned useful too
BowlingPinPie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #194
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

hand throttle from bicycle shifter parts.
Had all parts lying around

Free!
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #195
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnuTJ View Post
Use Zip Ties! Bungies work only for so long.
Yep, they work only so long. Mine have been working for 2 years now and still just as strong as when I put them on... I guess they will fail me though, one day.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.