JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Cheap Tricks & Fixes (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/)
-   -   camping mods (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/camping-mods-1229197/)

shu2kill 06-19-2011 11:37 AM

camping mods

hey. as many of you (i assume), i use my jeep for a lot of car camping. so i thought we could share this space for some camping-oriented modifications.

for instance, i wired a 12V outlet on my overhead speaker console, because i carry an extension cord with a socket on one end and a plug on the other, and a 12V light bulb. i also plan on installing a folding platform to the inside of the trunk's door, to use as a table for cooking. i also plan on installing another battery besides my optima, so we can run the music and the lightbulb without worrying....

so, are there any camping mods out there??

freedommachine 06-19-2011 12:42 PM

Shovel and axe mounts. Shovel to help put a fire out amoung other things for jeeping and camping, axe for getting/cutting firewood and other things involved during jeeping. I always have my axe and shovel just in case I forget one at home.

shu2kill 06-19-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedommachine (Post 11731484)
Shovel and axe mounts. Shovel to help put a fire out amoung other things for jeeping and camping, axe for getting/cutting firewood and other things involved during jeeping. I always have my axe and shovel just in case I forget one at home.

well, i have my shovel on the hood along with the hi lift, and the axe lives on the toolbox in the jeep. but i consider those more wheeling than camping tools, even though you are right, the shovel is always used while camping...

freedommachine 06-19-2011 02:10 PM

Okay then the other you might be able to figure out if you like the idea. I am planning on doing this my self once I get around to it. I want to make some straps that attach to the side of the tub, maybe where the hard top bolts go so I can strap tents, sleeping bags etc to the tops of the fenders so my dogs can have the middle for room. I camp a lot but with to big dogs I have to take a 4x6 trailer(which I hate)
So I to am trying to come up with ideas on how to make it all work as well.

shu2kill 06-19-2011 02:19 PM

well, i dont camp with dogs, but with 2 or sometimes 3 people in the back, plus another one in the front besides me. and we climb, so besides normal camping equipment, we carry a lot of climbing equipment. and what we do is use a lot of bungee cords to strap the tents, termarests, sleeping bags, to the cage. i drive a 92 YJ with the family bar, so there is some space to strap things and use that space. plus, i made two racks, one for the hitch reciever and one that goes above the rear tire. you could consider that instead of a trailer maybe...

freedommachine 06-19-2011 02:47 PM

I have thought about the rack that goes in the trailer hitch but I have a body armor rear bumper with swing away that holds two jerry can, my axe and shovel, I think it would cover to much of the hitch mounted rack. Up above the spare tire I have thought about a rack. Me and my wife live to do caves so we to always have helments,packs,ropes,etc. that to take up a lot of room. Then my two dogs, well one is 169.8 pounds, the other is about 80 so they fill up my jeep. Above my gas cans I have figured out I can bungee to chairs and a tent there. My roll bars my sleeping bags. Back of the seat a soft cooler. Between the front seats maybe our duffle bags. Against the back tailgate, the water cans secured to the roll bar. It soulds like you got a good set up going, but I am like you there is always room for improvment.

Gally99 06-24-2011 01:59 AM

I pack very light. One wheel well in the back has a no-spill water bowl attached to it for the dogs. The other wheel well is where the tent, pack, etc goes. I have a 12 pack cooler that squeezes between the seats. Everything gets tied down with ratchet straps that can later be used to attach a hammock to the roll bar and a tree. Dogs get anchored to the bracket for the rear seat belts. The passenger gets to deal with a few gallon jugs of water at their feet. If guns are coming I put in the insta-trunk.

jeepmonkey06 06-27-2011 03:57 PM

I'd like to see some pics of your jeeps all loaded up. The only thing I've done is take the back seat out for more room for all of our gear.

freedommachine 06-27-2011 09:26 PM

edit

Degra101 08-04-2011 10:33 AM

Nice set up !

Burlbook48 08-04-2011 05:38 PM

Home-made cargo rack over back seat area, check.

Flash light hanging from Safari Top strap to give light to the inside of the console, check.

Magnetic 12v floodlight on 20 foot cord, check.

Soft upper doors storage above the rollbar and under the Safari Top, check.

I have a large storage box that fills most of the rear seat area. Fill it with tools, equipment, supplies, and assorted camp stuff, and it gets quite heavey. Too heavey, in fact, to lift easily from the ground. Solution? Turn the 2"-drop stinger on my trailer hitch over, and lay a 10"x10" piece of 1-1/2" plywood (two layers of 3/4" glued together) with a 2" wide hole drilled in it. The hole fits over the nut holding the ball on the stinger. It rotates... allowing me to pull the box out of the jeep, rst it on the plywood, and rotate the box to open it without having to remove it from the jeep. Back saver for large box storage? Check.

shu2kill 08-04-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burlbook48 (Post 11969118)
Home-made cargo rack over back seat area, check.

Flash light hanging from Safari Top strap to give light to the inside of the console, check.

Magnetic 12v floodlight on 20 foot cord, check.

Soft upper doors storage above the rollbar and under the Safari Top, check.

I have a large storage box that fills most of the rear seat area. Fill it with tools, equipment, supplies, and assorted camp stuff, and it gets quite heavey. Too heavey, in fact, to lift easily from the ground. Solution? Turn the 2"-drop stinger on my trailer hitch over, and lay a 10"x10" piece of 1-1/2" plywood (two layers of 3/4" glued together) with a 2" wide hole drilled in it. The hole fits over the nut holding the ball on the stinger. It rotates... allowing me to pull the box out of the jeep, rst it on the plywood, and rotate the box to open it without having to remove it from the jeep. Back saver for large box storage? Check.

well, heres my solution for the heavy toolbox.... permanently install it on the jeep....

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8...D550/ry%3D400/

i also made this rack for the reciever... with it and the rack on top of the tire (also homemade) i can pack enough equipment, including climbing equipment, for 3 days, 5 people....

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1312515745

and when i only have one passenger, i remove the rack from on top of the tire and put it here, its easier to load/unload...

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1312516039

digs71 08-17-2011 06:32 AM

Nice set up! I am in the process of making some racks, but mine are going to cater to my surf fishing/camping trips down to the coast.

GotLime 08-17-2011 08:48 AM

Great ideas. This is a hitch mounted rack that a friend and I modified. He did the fab/welding and I handed him tools.

Only thing I would do differently if I did it again is I would make it swing out or somehow fold away. The tailgate won't open with it installed.

http://chrisahughes.smugmug.com/phot...pzGLvhr-XL.jpg

I can put my plate on it and it now has lights. I'll post a link to the "build thread" if anyone is interested.

Thread here: clickie

shu2kill 08-17-2011 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here it is loaded for 2 days of camping/climbing for 5 people....

The time now is 01:01 PM.