Cabin of '94 JY totally fogging up (when running the heater)... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cabin of '94 JY totally fogging up (when running the heater)...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Spritedaddy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cabin of '94 JY totally fogging up (when running the heater)...

Hello All!
'94 YJ Sahara (stock).

Thought I would share a problem I found (and fixed) that seemed a little our of the ordinary...but it's a Jeep, so it's probably par for the course!

So, here in the Pacific NW it rains... some. And as the season grew colder the the last couple of months I started using my heater/defrost to warm up the cabin and defrost the glass.

Problem:
Well, I noticed on early morning's two things: 1) I could hear a watery 'sloshing' sound inside the cabin whenever I turned a corner, and 2) I would get an ungodly FOG build-up in the cabin! I do mean FOG!
Even though I was putting out heat through the heater to the defrost vents, I literally could not see through any of the glass (windscreen, side windows, and rears).

Triage/Solution:
I first thought that my newly replaced window channel felt might be leaking, but no real water was on the floor pans and could not see a way that might be getting into the defrost vents.

It occurred to me that the fresh air intake on the hood (which is covered by a slotted cover and has a metal screen) might be a source.

I removed the hood air intake cover and screen, and found that this has a 'well' that allows water to collect AND drain, allowing air to flow to the heater fan. In my case, the water was collecting but not draining. Aha!
Under the hood, the water should drain through the firewall into a hollow rubber tube which drips water harmlessly around the transmission housing.
I got under the hood, unclipped the rubber tube and found that this rubber tube was totally filled with junk; years of build-up of stuff that had plugged the drain.

Cleaned it, put it back, and now, no more Fog!!!

Now, i'm just worried that water may have damaged or affected the heater fan components...i guess time will tell?

FYI.
Ted

Spritedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
tj1997tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

at first i thought you were going to say your heater core was out.
i know a guy with one of them h3's and it has a drip tube around his sun roof , it clogs all the time and leaks in water. and hummer guys HATE water in their rig
tj1997tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1997tj
hummer guys HATE water in their rig
Water and mall parking lots don't mix.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Crown59

image-1267515942.jpg
Crown59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.