Bumper = Portable Air Tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Bumper = Portable Air Tank

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-25-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
Orange Juice

Bumper = Portable Air Tank

This idea was given to me the other day by a friend. I haven't tried it, but don't see any reason that it will not work.

Son has 4" x 4" x 1/4" square tubing welded to front bumper. Friend said why not weld the ends up solid, add an air chuck, and then hook it up to a compressor before going wheeling. If it is pressurized up to about 120 psi, it should fill at least 1 tire on the trails. All you would need is an air hose to couple to it to transfer air to the tire.

Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Here's one done on a XJ:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...rearbumper.htm

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
vballman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i had a friend that did that. works well.
vballman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

You would be lucky to fill even 1 tire. There isn't enough volume. I have a 2.5 gal tank with compressor and if the compressor is off the air in the tank is not enough to fill a tire.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
wyldejackyl

That would make for a hell of a rear-end collision! Imagine the look on the person's face after they rupture your pressurized bumper!
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2004, 11:33 PM   #6
Qman

i seriously doubt any collision with a car or truck would cause that thing to Rupture 1/4" steel is thinker than any stock Bumper i have seen on the road. i doubt there would be much if any damage to the Bumper.... probably worst damage would be done to the Frame......

anyone have a link to Roll cage air tank, thought about that a couple times.. thought i saw something about it somewhere once..i would think there would be 2-3 gallons in a stock roll bar and if you could link it to the Front Down tubes would give you anther 1-2 gallons maybe....

bumpers are a good idea if you have big enough ones but mine are small and the rear would be more difficult to seal with the D-rings and tire carrier and i would probably only get a gallon out of them....... suppose you could get crafty and hook the bumpers to the Cage via hose and fittings combined you could fill up a tire or 2 or hook it to a air compressor and have a ton of reserve any of you engineer types care to calculate how many gallons you could get out of a cage a bumper Combo my bet is 3-5 gallons of course bumper size would make a huge differance...

Last edited by Qman; 09-23-2004 at 09:51 AM..
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 01:47 PM   #7
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

seems like too much work for me. id rather just keep my stock bumper and buy a powertank or outback air co2 tank.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 10:06 PM   #8
DiegoYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
You would be lucky to fill even 1 tire. There isn't enough volume. I have a 2.5 gal tank with compressor and if the compressor is off the air in the tank is not enough to fill a tire.
Then why even have a tank?
DiegoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #9
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoYJ
Then why even have a tank?
It provides a good blast for setting beads and you can also run air tools. The compressor fills the tank as it is being used.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 11:44 PM   #10
DiegoYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
It provides a good blast for setting beads and you can also run air tools. The compressor fills the tank as it is being used.
OH IC!

I'm a CO2 guy so I wasn't too sure how well the OB compressors worked in conjunction w/ the tank.
DiegoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Maybe not enough to fill a tire but at least a good flotation device in case of water landing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2004, 09:01 PM   #12
Hoxviii

Think about it like this. Say one tire holds 5 gallons of air at 30 PSI. If you have a 5 gallon tank at 30 PSI you can fill one tire. At 60 PSI, two tires. At 90PSI, three tires. See where I'm going? You don't necessarily need volume as much as you need pressure.

My front bumper is 4" 5/16 continuous weld. It's rated to 1200 PSI working pressure, i can fill it to the limits of any shop/home compressor out there without worrying at all. That's 200 PSI ish and it holds about 4 gallons. I can fill two 35/12.50's off the tank no problem, but i have OBA so i can fill as many as i want .

Justin

Remember, anywhere a car can go a 4x can go, only slower and more deliberately. The ONLY advantage of a 4x is to be able to go where the car can't.
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2004, 05:16 AM   #13
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii
Think about it like this. Say one tire holds 5 gallons of air at 30 PSI. If you have a 5 gallon tank at 30 PSI you can fill one tire. At 60 PSI, two tires. At 90PSI, three tires. See where I'm going? You don't necessarily need volume as much as you need pressure.

Not exactly. The pressure would equalize between the the tire and the tank. You would have 15 in the tire, 15 in the tank (if you had a tire with zero pressure) I will agree that you can make up for some volume with pressure as long as you can trust the tank.

--BIGJ
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2004, 10:08 AM   #14
denverd0n

The problem is that filling a single 235/75x15 tire from dead empty to 30 psi takes almost 60 gallons of air at ambient pressure. That means that if your tank is at, say 120 psi, then you still need a 7.5 gallon tank to fill just one tire.

Of course, it doesn't take as much air to fill the tire from, say, 15 psi that you might air down to back up to 30 psi for driving home. Still, if you expect to air down and then fill back up 4 tires you will need a VERY large air tank to be able to do it without a compressor to make up the difference.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #15
Hoxviii

i realize the equalization between the tank and the tire, i was just simplifying the concept.

Justin

Remember, anywhere a car can go a 4x can go, only slower and more deliberately. The ONLY advantage of a 4x is to be able to go where the car can't.
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.