Broken Shock Mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Broken Shock Mounts

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Broken Shock Mounts

99 Cherokee. 147k on it. Pretty sure the shocks on it are original. Everything seems to need PB Blaster rust dissolver and a little heat. Installing shocks are one of the easiest jobs to do on a car, but even the fronts turned out to be a PITA. They are done.
While trying to remove the old rear shocks, all 4 upper mounting bolts broke off, as well as one of the lowers. The uppers can be carefully drilled out, retapped to clean out the original threads and be just fine. Done this plenty on old motorcycles and VW bugs.
My concern is the lower. It broke off right at the threads, so the portion that the shock slides onto is still there.
Had the same thing happen on a '77 FJ40. I just used a "U" clamp and it was all good. Even a FJ mechanic that I ended up selling the FJ to said that it was fine.
I plan on doing it again, since the only JEEP solution is to replace the entire axle, since the lower mount is welded to it.

I could cut off the remaining length of the mount and drill out what is left, and install a big bolt and nut, but I am afraid I might make the problem worse and be royally you-know-what.

Is there a better Cheap Trick or Fix? This jeep is going on a 1800 mile road trip to Arizona this sunday.

Thank you.

droopydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydawg View Post
.... cut off the remaining length of the mount and drill out what is left, and install a big bolt and nut
This will work, I have done it several times. I weld the bolt to the mount. Or, you can cut a shock mount off of another axle and weld it in the correct location. You can also purchase new shock mounts and weld them on.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You can also purchase new shock mounts and weld them on.
JEEP said that you can not do that. Looking at it, it looks like you can. Of course, they would rather you go the more expensive route.

How many drill bits will I ruin by drilling it, and installing a big bolt? Isnt the metal that is used really hard core metal that takes 30 minutes to drill through using a $80 craftsman drill?
droopydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If the bolt is broke off can't you just grab a punch and BFH and beat the bolt out? I've done it before on a previous rig.

Sent from my XT881 using JeepForum
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
If the bolt is broke off can't you just grab a punch and BFH and beat the bolt out? I've done it before on a previous rig.
No, you can't do that, the rear shock mount is not an actual bolt, it more like a welded stud.

Using a set of good quality drill bits, and a powerful drill, you can drill through the remains of the stud and bracket in under 10 minutes.

Most any website that sells axle brackets, also has shock brackets.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.