JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Cheap Tricks & Fixes (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/)
-   -   Broken Shock Mounts (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/broken-shock-mounts-1563009/)

droopydawg 08-16-2013 09:27 AM

Broken Shock Mounts

99 Cherokee. 147k on it. Pretty sure the shocks on it are original. Everything seems to need PB Blaster rust dissolver and a little heat. Installing shocks are one of the easiest jobs to do on a car, but even the fronts turned out to be a PITA. They are done.
While trying to remove the old rear shocks, all 4 upper mounting bolts broke off, as well as one of the lowers. The uppers can be carefully drilled out, retapped to clean out the original threads and be just fine. Done this plenty on old motorcycles and VW bugs.
My concern is the lower. It broke off right at the threads, so the portion that the shock slides onto is still there.
Had the same thing happen on a '77 FJ40. I just used a "U" clamp and it was all good. Even a FJ mechanic that I ended up selling the FJ to said that it was fine.
I plan on doing it again, since the only JEEP solution is to replace the entire axle, since the lower mount is welded to it.

I could cut off the remaining length of the mount and drill out what is left, and install a big bolt and nut, but I am afraid I might make the problem worse and be royally you-know-what.

Is there a better Cheap Trick or Fix? This jeep is going on a 1800 mile road trip to Arizona this sunday.

Thank you.

CJ7-Tim 08-16-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droopydawg (Post 15800981)
.... cut off the remaining length of the mount and drill out what is left, and install a big bolt and nut

This will work, I have done it several times. I weld the bolt to the mount. Or, you can cut a shock mount off of another axle and weld it in the correct location. You can also purchase new shock mounts and weld them on.

droopydawg 08-16-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim (Post 15801320)
You can also purchase new shock mounts and weld them on.

JEEP said that you can not do that. Looking at it, it looks like you can. Of course, they would rather you go the more expensive route.

How many drill bits will I ruin by drilling it, and installing a big bolt? Isnt the metal that is used really hard core metal that takes 30 minutes to drill through using a $80 craftsman drill?

tjcj 08-16-2013 04:40 PM

If the bolt is broke off can't you just grab a punch and BFH and beat the bolt out? I've done it before on a previous rig.

Sent from my XT881 using JeepForum

CJ7-Tim 08-16-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcj (Post 15802445)
If the bolt is broke off can't you just grab a punch and BFH and beat the bolt out? I've done it before on a previous rig.

No, you can't do that, the rear shock mount is not an actual bolt, it more like a welded stud.

Using a set of good quality drill bits, and a powerful drill, you can drill through the remains of the stud and bracket in under 10 minutes.

Most any website that sells axle brackets, also has shock brackets.

The time now is 02:33 AM.