Broken back window zipper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Broken back window zipper

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
ajsundo

Broken back window zipper

Just bought a 2011 wrangler jk and the left side off the back window has a jammed zipper and looks like the teeth are a little messed up... How do I fix?!

ajsundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #2
AngryRedBird

Common issues and this as well as other forums have touched on this issue..

In this case choosing the path of least resistance would be best.. Those have said to simply yank the zipper will simply destroy the plastic teeth as well as the zipper. What happens it that the zip can get stressed and simply open up or expand at it's opening and not allow for proper alignment.

When I say path of least resistance.. this can only be determined by which direction one needs to pull the zipper.. Thou a bit late.. I would hit it with a bar of soap or sex wax.. (surfers wax) working it into the zippers hardware as well as on the plastic zips. Also, I believe you can flare out the end of the zipper slightly and this may help extract the zipper itself..
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
JeepCares

Try doing a search for JK zipper if you need more information.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
AngryRedBird

wow nice.. @ajsundo Jeep themselves actually came in here to check your zipper.. Post..
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Worked for me. http://www.jeepit.com/
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRedBird View Post
Common issues and this as well as other forums have touched on this issue..

In this case choosing the path of least resistance would be best.. Those have said to simply yank the zipper will simply destroy the plastic teeth as well as the zipper. What happens it that the zip can get stressed and simply open up or expand at it's opening and not allow for proper alignment.

When I say path of least resistance.. this can only be determined by which direction one needs to pull the zipper.. Thou a bit late.. I would hit it with a bar of soap or sex wax.. (surfers wax) working it into the zippers hardware as well as on the plastic zips. Also, I believe you can flare out the end of the zipper slightly and this may help extract the zipper itself..

Great stuff. Been using it for years. http://www.sexwax.com/
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
AngryRedBird

@JBTJ

Having lived at Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina for 4 years.. and finding left overs.. sort of trial and error.. but it worked and been using it as well.
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I sell repair kits on eBay search jeep zipper mine are the red listings, but if the teeth are broken you need a new one sewn on try a boat top place cheers

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

99 TJ Sahara----->I AM BACK TJer's
-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
CO_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.