JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Cheap Tricks & Fixes (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/)
-   -   Badass Shift Knob (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/badass-shift-knob-272495/)

bokey 05-15-2006 12:11 PM

Badass Shift Knob

Well, I've been wanting to change over my shifter knob to something more cool. I was thinking about using the 8 and 9 ball from a pool set but couldn't find any extra and didn't feel like paying $$$ for a set of balls. So I was in my local Army/Navy store and came across one of these bad boys for $10

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ey/Shifter.jpg

:drool:

TellyDSP 05-15-2006 12:23 PM

I would remove the pin. Heard the rattling will really get to you.

bokey 05-15-2006 12:46 PM

Actually, it doesn't bother me at all. I hear either the wind blowing, the radio or people trying to talk lol. Also if I do take the pin out, the handle will fall out (unless I glue it in). I dunno, a gernade isn't a gernade without the pin. I'm also thinking about putting it side ways like a t-handle; not sure yet.

92 Green YJ 05-15-2006 01:56 PM

yeah I used to have a grenade too and the pin rattling did get really annoying after a while

Rockiholic 05-15-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokey
I hear either the wind blowing, the radio or people trying to talk lol.

I understand that. My favorite pastime is listening to the loose baffles in my exhaust rattle, or trying to predict the next backfire (unfortunately I pretty much fixed this problem so it doesnt happen too much). Nice shifter though.

bokey 05-16-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockiholic
I understand that. My favorite pastime is listening to the loose baffles in my exhaust rattle, or trying to predict the next backfire (unfortunately I pretty much fixed this problem so it doesnt happen too much). Nice shifter though.

Mudweiserjeep 05-16-2006 02:08 PM

I like the shift knob!:thumbsup:

Just a thought on the rattle.......maybe you could get some plastic dip (used for tool handles) and coat the ring part. Would still look good and would also be quiet.

jmanimal 05-16-2006 08:05 PM

Could also super glue the pin in situ-no more rattles and still looks "natural"

gatmog 05-17-2006 04:23 AM

I'm not sure, but i think the shell is made of lead--i'd put a nice thick coat of od green on it just to make sure.. but i could be wrong...great shifter!!!

nodoor94 05-17-2006 08:24 AM

yeah i made one of those for my transfer case shifter, i heard that it gets annoying to grab at a grenade to shift all the time, an when im on the trail, an i have to grab at the stick fast, i dont want to accidentaly jab my hand on a pin or handle. looks good tho, an i made my for 8 or 10 bucks too. (can you believe they cost 45 bucks in the quadratech catalog?!!??)

rjt36 05-17-2006 01:44 PM

Two questions:
1. Did you tap the grenade so it screws on, or is it just glued?
and
Quote:

i made one of those for my transfer case shifter
2. How would you go about making it your T-case shifter?

mad scientist 05-17-2006 02:23 PM

I just recently did the same thing on my TJ, however I drilled and tapped a hole in the side to use it as a T-handle. If you do it that way, just remember to put it at a bit of an angle, not just straight across so that it's easier/more natural to grab onto and shift. Plus it looks pretty sweet with the hand throttle lever just below it. I removed the ring cause it annoyed the heck outta me. All I did was RTV the trigger handle underneath, the re-inserted the cotter pin, then bent it around into one of the extra holes in it to get it out of the way. Hasn't rattled since.

SGT Superman 05-17-2006 05:15 PM

So how does it feal in the hand? Are there any spots that would do better if ground down? And if anyone has tried it as stright up and as a T handle which did you like best.

I think I would like to try this as a T-handle.

wwiihistory 05-17-2006 06:36 PM

Shell was cast iron.

If you want to make it more non-training looking...get rid of the light blue and also paint a yellow band around the neck just under screw in fuse.

Marauderk 05-17-2006 10:14 PM

Well i would hope the grenade was cast iorn and not lead ;)

The time now is 01:01 AM.