Another way of doing a 3rd brake LED - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Another way of doing a 3rd brake LED

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Another way of doing a 3rd brake LED

I decided to post this up as its just a little different than the others in this section. I wrote it for a Jeep club forum I am a part of, so I figured why not post it at Jeepforum. So, here it is...

After installing my swing-away rear tire carrier, I was without a third brake light. While I believe its legal in Illinois to only have two brake lights, I still don't like it when people don't have the center high-mounted stop lamp (CHMSL). So, why should I not have one? Well I shouldn't not have one! Please excuse the double negative. Anyway, from some other people's ideas, I made my own using my spare tire center hub cap, a 13 LED 2.5" truck stop/turn lamp, a gasket for the LED, some silicone glue, about 4 inches of wire, and some various wire connectors.

As you can see, I cut the top off of my hub cap and then I slipped the LED into the gasket and then placed it into the hub cap.

I glued around the inside edge of the gasket.

I then realized that my theory of running the wire through the hub cap would not work since I would not be able to slide the cap through the center hole on the wheel. Rather than cutting a large hole, I just made some "remote" connectors by adding in some wire. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the hub cap and glued everything together.

On the Jeep I just cut off the factory connectors and installed the bullet type male connectors. I then used some heat shrink tubing and plugged it in.

To remove the tire, I just disconnect the wires and the center hub will slide right out of the spare tire.

And one last pic all lit up.

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Kerndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
seel2000

nice write up

2000 WJ Laredo -- Kevin's 2.5", Rubicon twin-tube shocks, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination MT's, Pioneer head-unit, 800w RockFosg, 2x10 Kicker Comp Subs, Memphis spkrs front&back

2005 WK Laredo
seel2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Rocky5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

great idea...looks great
-Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, Clear Turn Signals and Markers, Custom Front Bumper Hoop with upgraded hooks, Delta 50 Flowmaster, Code Alarm CA-670 Paging-Alarm with Motion Detector, K&N FIPK, JKS Discos, Procomp LCAs, Airaid TBS, Tuffy 055 rear section sub console, 4-Hella 500's, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Olympic Reverse-a-bars, Delta Headlight kit with black bezels, Edge Trail Jammer kit, Smittybilt Classic Tire Carrier, WARN Oil Skid, Skid Row steering skid, JKS adj. rear track bar, RC front adj. track bar.
Rocky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

do you run into issues when swinging out the tire? Is there extra wire, or do you dico the brake light each time?

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
do you run into issues when swinging out the tire? Is there extra wire, or do you dico the brake light each time?
Not really, but I do have to open up the door to give it some slack before I can fully swing out the tire carrier. You can see in this pic how far I can open the carrier until I need to open up the tailgate. BTW, its just the factory wire length, I just cut off the factory connectors and crimped on my own.

And when its closed up, the wire just kinda finds its own home.

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Kerndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
drew01929

Nice job, i will be looking at doing something similar in the near future.
drew01929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
vizro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

great write up thanks
vizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same mod for my LoD bumper, but I cut the wire at the tailgate and routed it from under the rear and up the tire carrier. Had to add extra wire.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.