Added light to my engine compartment. Simple mod. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Added light to my engine compartment. Simple mod.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 03-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #16
Puff_Luv
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i need a light. I guess ill do this. So just connect them to my original light wires?

Puff_Luv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 03:00 AM   #17
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

^Yep.

"Be polite... Be professional... But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/
fayceoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
TwitchyVirus
1996 XJ Cherokee 

This is a really great idea. I've been complaining about the same thing for the last few months! I am definitely stealing this idea!
Originally Posted by arch View Post
When people ask; Why does it have a rollbar? Is it dangerous? And you can actually reply "yep".
Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton View Post
When you have to say to your friends at least twice during any given drive..'dude its a jeep relax.'
TwitchyVirus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #19
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm old fashioned. A 12 volt back up light, and a clip-on reflector, and two battery clips are good enough for me. My dad carried one in the glove box of his 1951 Buick.

(Only, it was probably a 6 volt)
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
TwitchyVirus
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I'm old fashioned. A 12 volt back up light, and a clip-on reflector, and two battery clips are good enough for me. My dad carried one in the glove box of his 1951 Buick.
I used a similar setup to this until it was borrowed and not returned. The only difference is that my light was on a magnet instead of a clip.
Originally Posted by arch View Post
When people ask; Why does it have a rollbar? Is it dangerous? And you can actually reply "yep".
Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton View Post
When you have to say to your friends at least twice during any given drive..'dude its a jeep relax.'
TwitchyVirus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #21
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

I thought I was old fashioned for still carrying a 4D-cell MagLite... You guys take it to another level. Lol.

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/
Unread 03-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #22
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still using a small flood light on a magnetic base that plugs into the lighter. 12 foot cord plus a 12 foot extension so I can reach the rear of the jeep if needed.

But.....

Being able to simply lift the hood and not have to futz getting that light out it's ammo can storage box is VERY convenient. Nice mod!
Unread 03-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #23
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

I have a headlamp, the aforementioned maglite, two or three other small flashlights, a flashlight app on my phone, and now this. There are certain things that when you need them, you can't have too much. (Light, water, ammo, cover, QRF...)

Unread 04-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #24
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

Has anyone else done this yet? I want to see pics. Maybe I can improve mine.

Unread 04-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #25
andrewx12
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayceoff View Post
Has anyone else done this yet? I want to see pics. Maybe I can improve mine.
Maybe you could put them under the car to face upward and also wire them to the switch. So that if you ever have to do anything under the car you can see what your doing. I would aim them at stuff like the starter, oil pan, u-joints... Maybe put a strip in each tire well so you can change a tire in the dark...

The possibilities are endless. If you don't want to wire to the hood lamp you can always put a toggle switch somewhere. LEDs don't take much so there isn't much risk of blowing a fuse if you hook them all to one location.

LEDs are pretty durable and should hold up to the water, dirt and other road sh... Just don't hit them on a rock or something.
andrewx12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 02:32 AM   #26
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

What would you attach them to if you wanted them to shine up from the bottom? The control arms?
I like the idea of the wheel wells, though. That had crossed my mind when i saw someone's rock lights...

Unread 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #27
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

No underhood lights in my XK.

Doing this!

Thanks fayceoff!
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #28
RaceBannon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. Thinking of doing this myself now, just wanted to check and see if they are staying in place?
RaceBannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #29
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

They're holding just as strong as ever. Its been a pretty warm muggy summer this year, too.

Unread 09-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #30
Zacedward
2004 WJ 

How would you do this if you had no light in there in the first place my 04 did not have one on the first place there are no wires or anything thanks
UJC #181 2004 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L v8, 2"bb, kolak 3 " exhaust flowmaster 50 SUV , Rola roof basket, k&n cai,245/75 /16 A/T
Zacedward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.