Added light to my engine compartment. Simple mod. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Added light to my engine compartment. Simple mod.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

Added light to my engine compartment. Simple mod.

OK, so my WJ had one bulb under the hood which was giving me next to nothing for light output. I tried upgrading to an LED bulb, but it was still not much light, and it was nearly unidirectional. Then the other day I was at KMart and I saw these 12" Pilot LED strips on the clearance rack for nine bucks apiece and picked up two packages.

I took them home and pulled the light/switch assembly from the engine compartment. (Just squeeze the connector to disconnect it, then carefully pry the black housing loose.). Feed a jewelers screwdriver into each corner to release the clear plastic cover. In case you don't know, there's a ball switch in the assembly - kind of like a float switch - it has a ball in it that rolls back to make contact and turn on the light when you open the hood. So I took two short (about 4") sections of 16 gauge wire and soldered them to the two ends of the connector like this...

The strips are flexible and peel/stick, so I picked out the spots to stick them, cleaned them with Simple Green and let them dry. Then I stuck them (some of the double sided tape didn't take so I had to use a drop or two of wife's nail glue here and there) in place. I fed the wires under the insulation stuff to the switch, soldered and heat-shrinked (heat-shrank? heat-shrunk? whatever. Lol.) them and stuffed them back under the insulation, reattached the switch, and voila! Awesomeness!

Trust me when I tell you, the pics don't do it any justice. It is SO bright under there... I'm VERY pleased with myself... Hope it helps someone else. If you do it, post a pic here!

"Be polite... Be professional... But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/
fayceoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

83 views and NO comments? Ouch.

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Really cool. I wish I had a light under the hood to do this. Guess I will just have to stick to wedging my work light in there....dang it.
jamesrw30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

are they too bright to see well at night? too much glare?
Unread 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
are they too bright to see well at night? too much glare?
No. There's NO glare. The bends in the hood's metal angle them perfectly into the engine compartment away from my eyes. I'll try to get another pic tonight in full dark with no flash.

Unread 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like an airport runway. Just kidding. Nice job. Great cheap mod!

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
andrewx12
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayceoff View Post
83 views and NO comments? Ouch.
They all seen this awesome mod and went to work immediately, wiping out K-marts stock of LEDs.

Very awesome idea, will be doing this to my WJ and possibly rigging a switch under the hood of my CJ and doing the same thing.
andrewx12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

Didn't get a chance to take that pic last night, but I'll try it tonight.

Unread 03-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

I noticed some old xj came with a retractable light under the hood. I would pick one but they are all destroyed.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

That would be cool! I considered just buying a slim magnetic work light, but I like this better.

Unread 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have some of those LEDs kicking around, and have been meaning to do this to my TJ for a while ... the factory light is all corroded and almost never works.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

You know you can clean up the corrosion with a pencil eraser, right?

Unread 03-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

This is a great cheap mod! My local Wal-Mart has a bunch of those on clearance but only in blue. I was excited when I first saw them then dissapointed they only had blue. As for the retractable light, some late 80's early 90's Chevy trucks had them also.
Unread 03-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i have the magnetic harbor freight led lights. they work well and i can move them where i need them easily enough.
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #15
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

This is with no flash at 9pm...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.