$7 In Cab Winch Controls - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > $7 In Cab Winch Controls

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,253
$7 In Cab Winch Controls

I don't know if this has been mentioned here or in the electrical section but I figured it's at least one of the correct sections to give this a try so here goes:

I'm going to be basing this quick write up on the smittybilt xrc winch platform and from what I've seen they're pretty similar inside the solenoid box. I know most people despise these winches or the company altogether so I'll tell you that this review from here on out isn't for you. Keep in mind for those that are following along, I didn't take many pictures because I figured it out pretty quick. And it was really hot in the shop. Ok. Parts list:

Three feet of 14 gauge wire
Three butt connectors that would fit 10 gauge wire
Three female spade connectors
Three male spade connectors (preferably shielded)
One smittybilt #97203-31 (replacement handlebar controller for xrc 3.0 winch)
One drywall screw about 1.5" long
Some zip ties for cleaning up your wiring

I started with the hand control piece itself and cut the proprietary end off the winch side exposing the three wires and mounted the toggle section inside the cab with the drywall screw. Found a nice little nook for it to go



Next I routed the wiring through the engine bay toward the bumper where the winch is mounted. Pretty simple.

Then after opening up the solenoid cover I tapped into the wired that the remote control uses on the inside of the cover itself. There are two red wires on my particular model and one black wire. The black was the constant hot because I could trace it to the power bus and the two reds were a guessing game, really.



After pulling leads out with the butt connectors, I attached the shielded spade connectors to the ends of the leads. The wires that came from the toggle switch are as follows:
Red-power
Black-out
Green-in

The spade connectors made it easy to line up the colors because I knew the power wires were clear and the in/out situation was just seconds of trial and error.


I was careful to reinforce the connection to the plug and ultimately to the winch itself. As it was my first go at this project, I used crimp connectors but I will eventually solder the connections to make it a little more permanent and stable.


That's pretty much it. A five dollar switch and a couple bucks in wire and connectors. Well, assuming you don't already have them sitting around. Here is a pic of the switch in its virgin form:


__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
dagr8tim
Moderator
 
dagr8tim's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Galloway, Oh
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned here or in the electrical section but I figured it's at least one of the correct sections to give this a try so here goes:

I'm going to be basing this quick write up on the smittybilt xrc winch platform and from what I've seen they're pretty similar inside the solenoid box. I know most people despise these winches or the company altogether so I'll tell you that this review from here on out isn't for you. Keep in mind for those that are following along, I didn't take many pictures because I figured it out pretty quick. And it was really hot in the shop. Ok. Parts list:

Three feet of 14 gauge wire
Three butt connectors that would fit 10 gauge wire
Three female spade connectors
Three male spade connectors (preferably shielded)
One smittybilt #97203-31 (replacement handlebar controller for xrc 3.0 winch)
One drywall screw about 1.5" long
Some zip ties for cleaning up your wiring

I started with the hand control piece itself and cut the proprietary end off the winch side exposing the three wires and mounted the toggle section inside the cab with the drywall screw. Found a nice little nook for it to go



Next I routed the wiring through the engine bay toward the bumper where the winch is mounted. Pretty simple.

Then after opening up the solenoid cover I tapped into the wired that the remote control uses on the inside of the cover itself. There are two red wires on my particular model and one black wire. The black was the constant hot because I could trace it to the power bus and the two reds were a guessing game, really.



After pulling leads out with the butt connectors, I attached the shielded spade connectors to the ends of the leads. The wires that came from the toggle switch are as follows:
Red-power
Black-out
Green-in

The spade connectors made it easy to line up the colors because I knew the power wires were clear and the in/out situation was just seconds of trial and error.


I was careful to reinforce the connection to the plug and ultimately to the winch itself. As it was my first go at this project, I used crimp connectors but I will eventually solder the connections to make it a little more permanent and stable.


That's pretty much it. A five dollar switch and a couple bucks in wire and connectors. Well, assuming you don't already have them sitting around. I hope to take a picture of the extra switch I have tomorrow so you know where I started and to give you a better idea how to mount it in your jeep.

Looks good, I'd do the connectors up in heat shrink tube for extra protection.
__________________
Jeeping - The art of getting dirty & going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,253
I'm going to solder them next week

Thanks!!!
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
shadowulf
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 308
Pretty cool. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount a electric lock switch in the center gauge section to do the same thing. As soon as I have enough days off in a row to start/finish it. ( I'll also clean and "white skin" the gauges at the same time)
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler
 
Burlbook48's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mendocino County, CA
Posts: 1,050
Nice, clean, simple.

Have you thought about adding a main power off switch so the on/off/on control can't be turned on by an accidental bump or someone else touching the switch?
__________________
You have to start somewhere to get to the middle of nowhere.
Burlbook48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,253
Thought about it but the guards that are on there prevent that in the position it's mounted. It would be easy to do though. Id like to we someone else do it and post pics.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
sitedzn
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chesterfield, Va
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Nice, clean, simple.

Have you thought about adding a main power off switch so the on/off/on control can't be turned on by an accidental bump or someone else touching the switch?
That's what I did with mine. Have a on/off toggle for power to the momentary in/out switch beside it.
__________________
88 YJ, 4.2L, AX-15, NP231[COLOR="Red"] w/ SYE[/COLOR], 3.5" RC lift, [COLOR="red"]1" booms[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]Cut down XJ shaft in rear
Ford 8.8 LS & Spartan Locked[/COLOR] D30
[COLOR="red"]Big Daddy Off Road rock sliders[/COLOR]
35x12.5 BFG A/T KOs, XRC-8000

[COLOR="red"]I love installing new stuff.[/COLOR]
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood, California
Posts: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitedzn

That's what I did with mine. Have a on/off toggle for power to the momentary in/out switch beside it.
I like your panel
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.