$6.00 Bumpstop Extensions - ZJ/TJ/Probably others :D - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > $6.00 Bumpstop Extensions - ZJ/TJ/Probably others :D

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

$6.00 Bumpstop Extensions - ZJ/TJ/Probably others :D

Sorry, no pics as of yet - it was a little dark when I did it...

As we all know, ZJs and TJs (WJs?) have bumpstops installed inside the front driver and passenger coils. Many of us pay $30+ to extend these when we lift and put on larger tires to protect our precious fenders. We use expensive billet aluminum, possibly drill a hole in the perch, tap it and install these spacers.

I am Mr. Cheap-O (just ask my wife). I don't feel like paying $30+ to do something that I can do for $6.

I went over to Sports Authority this week, and found that they sell hockey pucks (read: discs of hardened rubber ) for $.99 each. Hey! I tell myself, why not use those to extend the 'ol bumpstops? No, it wasn't an original idea, but it also hasn't been patented...whoever tries to tell me it was their idea can kiss my ZJ butt

I disconnected the swaybar, stuck my trusty hi-lift under the slider and jacked up the Heep. Tried to insert the puck, but it was a little tight. Lightbulb flashes up over my head....BFH!!! I "convinced" the hockey puck to go in between the spirals of the coil, and it just jumped in there...must have been my big scary hammer.

I now have 3 hockey pucks "floating" on my spring perches on the driver and passenger side fronts. If they make noise, I'll squirt some Gorilla Glue between them to anchor them down a bit.

And there you have it, FPKites' famous bumpstop extensions (patent pending, as soon as I get off my lazy cheap-arse butt and fill out the paperwork.....or never )

Total cost: $6.00 plus tax
Total time: About 20 minutes...that includes the time rooting around in the scrap lumber bin for wheel chocks
Tools required: Hi-lift or equivalent farm jack, rubber mallet of your choice, leather gloves if you don't like to get your hands dirty

Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't been on this forum long... about 4-5 months now, but I've read of many people using those for spacers. Sorry to bust your bubble. It's a very old idea. No telling how many "pucked up" Jeeps running around!
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

The patent pending remark wasn't serious...just in case you didn't see the

I had read about it on other sites, as well as here...decided to document it in the cheap fixes though.

Unread 03-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you have any pics of it installed? im curious to see what it looks like

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I keep meaning to - sorry about that. Kinda cold today, so I think I'll skip it.

I'm actually contemplating doing the same on the back instead of extending the bumpstop that comes in contact with the axle. I have a piece of pipe on the post that extends it so the coil couldn't flop out, so I think it would be a good idea to protect the perch from that. I'll try to document the installation of the pucks inside the rear coils.

Unread 03-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Not much to see, just some hockey pucks stuck in the coils, but here ya go

Unread 03-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
-Joseph
1995 ZJ 

Anybody run into problems with them working there way into the coils? This is the first I have heard of it so hats off to FPKites for the info. Thanks.

-Joseph
Fauxmaster Muffler
30" BFG AT's wrapped around AR 767 wheels
-Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

At first, I was somewhat concerned about that. However, last weekend I had several instances of full droop, and the pucks stayed in their place, as well as horizontal.

A good insurance policy might be to tack the pucks together with a small dab of glue. Just attatching two of them together should do the trick, I suspect.

Unread 06-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Resurrecting a dead thread!

Nice idea, I just bought a "new" (to me) "unused" (so the PO says) budget boost for $20, but it didn't have the bump stop extensions. I think I'm swinging by Sports Authority for some hockey pucks tomorrow...

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Whats underneath the coils on your jeep, on my xj you have access to the "cup" that the pucks sit on. Found this idea on here and it worked real well. Passenger side the trackbar bracket is mounted under the spring but if you have a long drill bit you can still drill the center of the cup out. A forstner bit will recess the washer and bolt head on the top of the puck. With a drill press you make the holes in the remaining pucks, assemble the whole thing inside the spring and bolt it together. This way the pucks don't move. On the passenger side you can't put the washer/lockwasher/nut on the bolt because theres no space to get your fingers in there. What I did was used a pocket telescoping magnet, slid the nut/lockwasher/washers over the magnet. Put the magnet on the bottom of the bolt then used a piece of wire with a half moon curled on the end to push the whole pile of washers and nuts up to the bolt, jiggled them a little and turned the pucks up top to get the nut to start. Once it did just snugged the pucks down. Again this was not my idea got it from one of the gurus on here. Just thought the extras from my experience could help

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
GSW

I added pucks to the rear coil buckets on my TJ a little over a year ago. I hacksawed a puck in half to dial in the best length of travel for my shorter-than-I-would-prefer shocks. So I've got 1.5 pucks on each side. And I found the pucks for $1 each on Amazon with only a few bucks for shipping. It's hard to find hockey pucks in the southeast.

But they've held up great during that time.
Unread 06-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
tjsahara1979
2007 JK Wrangler 

I got my pucks from a local ice rink for free Just call them up! There are always a bunch laying around
'01 TJ Sahara. 3" BDS lift, 1" PA BL, 33x12.50x15 Nokian Vatiiva M/Ts, Durango steering box, soft 8s, RE steering stabilizer, and one LOUD effin' train horn :)

Green Jeep Club Member #183
tjsahara1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsahara1979 View Post
I got my pucks from a local ice rink for free Just call them up! There are always a bunch laying around
DUDE thats awesome!

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
BUBICON

im pucked !!!!1
BUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

You can also get generic hard rubber feet for saws/drill presses/lathes etc from Northern Tool for $10 for a pack of 6. The are a little more that 2 1/2" in diameter and are predrilled with holes in the center. I'm using them in place of the tire stops on the tailgate of my TJ (factory stops are too thick to mount a 31" tire that's on stock wheels). They are slightly smaller than a hockey puck but should work.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.