2.5 mods?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > 2.5 mods??

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
25greenwrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I put a dynomax header($150 from jegs ) home made an intake with a spetor air filter ($27 from auto zone) removed the cat and put a magnaflow muffler ($60 from my local muffler shop) my seat-o-the-pants meeter says it help. Got the jeep up to 95mph must of done something right.

25greenwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My previous wrangler was a 4 cyl YJ with an automatic trans. It had 30 inch tires and no regear. It was a total dog. I rebuilt the motor (just a re-ring not an over bore), put in a stage 2 mopar cam, ported and polished the head, borla header/cat back, electric fan, 4.0 L throttle body, and cold air intake. I was so pumped to fire it up and ride wheelies down the street. Ummm yeah..... It ran like a rebuilt 4 cyl.

I got tired of reading posts about people recomending to sell your 4 cyl. and get a six but in the end that's what I did. If you really want more power you need to regear.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
t-fids
1998 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on the regear.
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #19
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stop foolin around...Turbocharge it.
forumrunner_20110804_223648.jpg   forumrunner_20110804_223810.jpg   forumrunner_20110804_223930.jpg   forumrunner_20110804_224030.jpg  
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #20
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fresh rebuild -hypereutectic pistons
36# Injectors
To4e-
Cheapo wastegate 7lb spring
EBay bov
Innovate wideband o2
Splitsecond ftc-019-b piggyback ecu
Cowl air intake via k+n cone and 3" exhaust pipe.
Full 2.5 exhaust no cat little thrush glasspack and side dump.

Its an Animal in the woods - spools instantly in low range, plenty of wheel speed and power to clean out tires in mudholes. Mucho grunt for long steep climbs.
Street performance is much better, less rowing thru the gears, more power than I need....4.0 Rubicon gets me off the line but by 2nd I'm gaining and 3rd I've passed and pulled a decent lead. By fourth it just dangerous ...
Fuel milage has been better than stock. Enough to notice.
Works like it was made from factory this way.
Makes cool sounds. Turns heads. Different. More tourque than the six at the wheels and still much lighter.
Not too much to overstress mild upgraded axels.
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #21
OutoOfMyMindCJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Funshootin, I saw your write up on another forum and used it to make my list for turbocharging mine, I'm using a ct26 toyota though. What trim is the turbo you run again? and how long did it tkae you to get it tuned with the split second. any advice on mounting for someone with A/C?
OutoOfMyMindCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

tuning was a pita...wound up dropping it off at a shop for it in the end...got it pretty close at home doing small changes to the maps but a dyno is the best way. gosh i dont remember 100% what the to4e specs are..think 63ar ? ..as far as mounting anywhere works...just plan out your plumbing and where everything needs to go ..future access to things ect. i finally hooked up the snow performance water methanol boost cooler and its a big change for the better...now i need to tune it again lol
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbaker92yj View Post
Where do you get ford injectors from? oh ad this is my first post

josh
I believe Crown Vics, or any ford with a 4.6 V8 (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, & Town Car). Being as the 4.6 was a mod motor, 5.4 truck injectors may be the same.

Neon injectors should work too. It looks like the 2.5 & 4.0 used the same injectors.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/u...ectors-946305/

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I went with Injector warehouse. newer style Injectors deal with high ethanol content in fuel. with the wire adapters 22 bucks a pop brand new
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

im still toying with the idea of a 4.3 chevy vortec 6 cyl and 700r4and using the existing turbo for that ... currently fabbing longarms so thatll have to wait till next spring if it ever happens
Unread 12-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #26
rossd14
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funshootin1 View Post
put in two 4 bangers?....I got the same problem
One behind the seat and one under the hood!!!
rossd14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

longarms done. outboarded longtravel shocks ect.. now what to do about power. . the turbo 2.5 as been a neat little project but in all honesty ive just gotten bored and feel like i need to change the drivetrain. . . come spring im doing either a 4.3 possibly turbo or more likely a 3.5 shortstar out of an olds intrige/aurora. the shortstar is an all alum 90deg dohc v6 , uses the gm 60 deg bellhousing pattern so trans otions and adapters are out there..and best of all its lightweight at about 315 lbs. theres a company called newschool that made up a harness that had a modded ecu that put down nice power 270 ish if i recall. its a swap thats been done before, isnt crazy hard to pull off and keeps the rig light enough to live with the existing 8.8 and hp 30 that my suspensions built around.. if i did an 8 it would be mandatory tons and i dont think thats where i wanna go with this rig... i wanna keep it small for the local trails but still fairly capable for rausch
Unread 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #28
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to see the write up on your turbo project. I like to do things a little different than everyone else.

Thanks
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.