1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ Aleternator Relocation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > 1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ Aleternator Relocation

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
exile187_69
1993 XJ Cherokee 

1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ Aleternator Relocation

1993 Jeep Cherokee Country XJ 4.0L and AW4 Transmission NP231 Transfer case.

I went out wheeling again and another alternator went out as predicted after going through some water and mud. So, basically I went home with the idea of making that not happen again by moving the alternator.

So, I decided to remove the airconditioning pump and put a new alternator in its place.

After removing the pump I found some bolts to go into the stock air conditioning pump holes on the a/c bracket.

I proceeded to cut a plate of steel big enough to cover the a/c bracket and be bolted to it.

I decided not to remove the old non-working alternator, but leave it in the stock position. To act as an idler pulley. (may turn the stock one into a DC stick welder, later)

After picking up a new alternator I placed it on the new plate of steel that I was going to bolt to the a/c bracket. I proceeded to make 3 tabs to attach to the new alternator.

After bolting the tabs to the new alternator I placed the new alternator on the steel plate and aligned the belt. (The serpentine belt tensioner is as loose as possible) I tack welded the tabs to the steel plate on the a/c bracket. Then I removed the new alternator from the tabs (we have to be caustious of the amount of heat while welding with the alternator attached) and finished welding the tabs to the steel plate on the a/c bracket.

After drilling the holes in the steel plate to mount it to the a/c bracket, I slid the alternator into place and bolted it to the tabs.

I then took all the wiring off of the old non-working alternator and moved it to connect to the new alternator. This should not require any modification to the harness or wires. I did however have to pull the wires out of the wire loom, which can be located, because it's the only thing that the wires should be catching on to not reach the new alternator.

The only wire that will not reach is the ground wire, which can easily be moved. Unbolt the ground wire from the engine block underneath the coil pack and locate it accordingly. I found it reached easily to the bracket that I reached, but you can use any suitable ground area.

After everything is done re-tighten the serpentine belt and double check your alignment.

Hope this helps, I'm new to thread any suggestions would help. Love to hear comments or see photos if anyone else does this and it helps them as it has helped me. Thanks.

exile187_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
kromberg
1993 ZJ 

dang that is a good idea. how about running two of them at the same time. would this work? i have two batteries and lots of electronics so power is needed
1993 ZJ 4.0L I6, White Jeep member #1993 Check out my build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/krombergs-zj-build-thread-977508
kromberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
exile187_69
1993 XJ Cherokee 

alternator

im not sure about that. all i would do is get a higher amp. alt.
i know ebay has a 200amp. alt for 114.00 free shipping. new in box.

im sure there is a way to do what u are asking, but i dont know where to start looking.

thx
exile
exile187_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
kromberg
1993 ZJ 

i will ask my shop teacher tomorrow. my ac doesnt work anyways
1993 ZJ 4.0L I6, White Jeep member #1993 Check out my build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/krombergs-zj-build-thread-977508
Unread 05-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Jagta
1991 XJ Cherokee 

So how does it work ? I really like that idea and would like to see more of these mods . Did anyone figure anything out about running two alts?? Inboard welder would be great but if that isn't pushing enough power , it would still be cool to just add power or have a built in aux alt ! Did you do anything with the radiator hose? I have to say this mod is outdamnstanding !
Jagta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
kromberg
1993 ZJ 

i have the two alternators running. one is set to charge my back up battery, and the other is one my main battery. i just rewired the wires running to the stock alternator and ran in a smaller gauge. then the out source on the one in the ac position is running to the second battery and providing overflow to the main battery.

Tags
1993 , alternator , cherokee , jeep , modification

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.