$11 Bed Lined TJ Grill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > $11 Bed Lined TJ Grill

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

$11 Bed Lined TJ Grill

So I'd been rolling around the idea of lining my grill for a few reasons. 1, it was a bit dinged up from road debris & radioactive Florida mosquitos. 2, I kinda wanted it to match the bed lined front fenders the previous owner had done. And 3, I just wanted to be different.

So plan A was to just do flat primer/paint. But then I realized I'll be applying 6-8 coats of flat black, then just as much if not more clearcoat. Y'know since the grill gets beat up everyday. So I decided to go with bed liner.

$10.XX for the liner @ Oreilly's, $.75 for the newspaper, $11.00 for the craft brew, I already had the blue tape.

Here's how she started before disassembly and masking

I took out the headlight bezels, and took off the sway bar cover, to find this.

Wire brush, sand paper, & Rustoleum "Rust Reformer", I'm back on track

I covered up the headlights, did a small amount of masking, and went at it with an entire sheet of 180 grit.

It really shocked me how thin the factory paint and primer really were, and how quickly I made it down to bare metal.

I then windexed the grill to get the bulk of the powder off. Then I used rubbing alcohol to clean it all, until I stopped getting powder blue off. Then, apply newspaper!

When you're taping, take your time. I found my self hurrying, and started over. The better job you do taping, the better this is gonna turn out. I'll spare you all my spraying methods, because honestly, I'm pretty bad at it. Shake can for 2 mins, hold 4-6 inches away, blah blah blah...

1 coat, wow... this sh*t is thick.

3 coats, wow... this sh*t is sticky.

5-8 coats, I lost count. Probably stoned on fumes by now, halfway though 6 pack too. Can is empty, I guess I'm done spraying.

Because of the thickness of this stuff, it takes a while to set up. It's got the consistency of roofing tar, kind of. But this is a good thing. I took a nylon/plastic bristle brush and tapped the bristles over my mistakes. Pretty much masked them right in the spayed texture. I think I actually smiled, it worked so well. Well, that and the fumes...

I let it sit for awile, 20-30 mins, let the dogs out, cleaned some tools up. Then I began peeling. You'll see here where I stopped masking.

So there it is. I'm a little anxious to get this baby out in the sun today. I feel it's gonna show all my mistakes better than the florescent lights in the garage did. I'm a bit hungover this morning, I blame the fumes, not my drinking

Oh, and my gf is screaming at me that if I'm gonna do this stuff, I need to wear a mask. I've blown bed liner out of my nose 3 times already. Might wanna wear a mask. Hope this helps. Happy Jeeping!

Unread 06-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
jeeper465

That looks badass dude!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
jeeper465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
JA66
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No, black boogers mean it was a job well done!
I have those things all the time after working on stuff.

Grill looks nice.
JA66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! As it turns out, the sun did show a few swirls I left. Gonna go pick up another can for 1-2 more cover up coats. I'll be doing it outside this time.
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
jrclark3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

are the fenders done too?
jrclark3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclark3 View Post
are the fenders done too?
Yep. Previous owner did the fenders. All the way back to the doors.
Unread 07-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

nice, any fenders pics? im thinking about cutting my fenders to make flat fenders and i think the bed liner spray could put some nice finishing touches on it. enough about me, the grill turned out great

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
nice, any fenders pics? im thinking about cutting my fenders to make flat fenders and i think the bed liner spray could put some nice finishing touches on it. enough about me, the grill turned out great
Thank you very much. Here's somewhat of a fender pic.

Unread 07-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
barflybzzzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What I've taken away from your demo is that, obviously, a good IPA makes all the difference. Looks great.
barflybzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barflybzzzz View Post
What I've taken away from your demo is that, obviously, a good IPA makes all the difference. Looks great.
Indeed. That's usually the case. Being from Maryland(close enough to DE), Dogfish is a staple in my diet. If you haven't already, check out "Flying Dog", specifically their "Raging B*tch IPA". It's outta Frederick Maryland. It's basically brain sex...

Oh, and thank you very much!
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Jaybird91
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks nice. How much lift is on your Jeep?
Jaybird91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird91 View Post
Looks nice. How much lift is on your Jeep?
Thanks! It's a 4" ProComp lift, with 33's. No body lift. I'm thinking about throwing some 35's on there when the time comes. But that might anger my dana turdy five...
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
supbrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jLowrey83 View Post
Thank you very much. Here's somewhat of a fender pic.

looks badass man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barflybzzzz View Post
supbrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supbrah View Post
looks badass man.

Thanks a ton guys. I should add that due to the 112deg heat index here in FL, plus the 210deg under hood temps, I've noticed a few small blisters have developed. The only way I can see preventing this is maybe use a second can? So now it's a $22 bed lined grill. Still, not bad.
Unread 10-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
imfromtexas
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That looks awesome, also what kind of rocker guards do you have on your jeep? I really like how all of the black parts look together
imfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.