TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #46
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHoundJK View Post
can you order this without the spiderwebs???
You sure can, when you order up the kit through the website there is a comment section, specify no webs and I will send you the bottom two brackets with out webs.

Thanks Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Swagoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #47
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

man i like this kit, but i can't use it as i carry my spare on the tailgate
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #48
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here is our completed YJ, LOVE IT!!!

Your kit was VERY easy to install, looks great and functions fully and easily.

Thank you SWAG Offroad.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #49
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

AmbuGrl,

Thanks for the feed back.

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #50
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I released a new kit for those of you who want to install a CJ tailgate on your Jeep TJ or YJ.

This kit installs with minimal shop tools, and does not require you to drop your gas tank for installation.

The kit includes the following:
Cables
Hinges
Tub mounted brackets the attach the upper end of the cable to the Jeep tub
Threaded nut insert backing plates to mount the bottom of the hinge to your Jeep tub, as well as all related fasteners.

Swagoffroad.com, CJ Tailgate Conversion Kit for your TJ or YJ

Thanks Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #51
Streetskirt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just posted this in the tech forum but I figured I would put it here as well.

Just finished installing the SWAG dropdown kit today. There were a couple of reasons I wanted to convert to a drop down tailgate. First is the reason that most people give that it is a nice work platform for anything from trail repairs to gear packing and unpacking. Second it will be really nice to be able to have a place to sit on breaks and lunch stops while offroading.

But the primary reason has to do with our 80 lb Chocolate Lab who rides in the back of the Jeep a lot both on and off road. When he gets in or out of the Jeep he puts his front paws on one of the two bars of the rear bumper and then jumps the rest of the way. I can just see him going to get out and his foot slipping between the two tubes and the rest of his 80 lbs snapping his leg in half. I have been really careful with it so far but I’m sure it is just a matter of time.

As far as the problem of the added reach to get gear in or out, I don’t think that I am going to have much of a problem. If the back seat is in I can reach all of the way to the seat with no strain. If I need to reach something sitting on the back seat I can easily reach over the closed tailgate to reach it. I run with no top or a Safari top 8 months out of the year, which is when we do most of our offroading so reaching items further forward in the cargo area is just a matter of reaching in over the sides.

I think it will work perfectly for our needs. Obviously it’s not going to be for everyone.
As far as the SWAG kit. I think it is a very good value. By the time you figure out all of the measurements, cut the metal, bend the brackets, make the nutsert bars, and figure out all of the hardware, the 160 bucks seems very worth it. Now it goes without saying if you have a fab shop at your disposal you could do it for cheaper, but for the majority of us that’s not the case. The reason I went with the kit instead of the CJ tailgate was that I did still want to be able to lock it and did not want to have the handle and cables sticking up if I set it up with dual latches.

The install was pretty straight forward. The directions that were included were good. My TJ (I’m assuming it has to do with it being a 2005) did not have the reinforced bar in the tailgate so I had to drill the whole way through the tailgate and use the included nuts and bolts instead of taping the holes right into the tailgate for the drivers lower hinge. I don’t like having the bolts stick through the back of the tailgate but it’s only two of them and once I trim down the excess it isn’t going to be a big deal. My biggest PITA was painting the pieces. I primered them first and then sprayed the plates with Rustoleum followed by clear coat. I have found on past projects that the Rustoleum red is a very close match to the body color. I painted the hinges and cable brackets Rustoleum textured black to match the powder coating on everything else on my Jeep. Well, the paper I had everything sitting on got stuck to the back of the plates and I couldn’t get it off, so one entire day was lost as I had to remove all of the paint and start over, lesson learned. I also had to tape off and touch up some of the pieces once every thing was installed to fix scratches and paint the bolt heads to match.

Troy, thanks again and feel free to use any of the pictures I have attached.

I don’t know why I assumed that they would have painted under the hinges at the factory. LOL. The plates in the kit didn’t quite cover all of the missing paint so I did have to touch up some of the area around the hinges. Also in this picture you can see what I was concerned about with the separation between the two tubes on the rear bumper.

The flash made the plates look a little pink but to the naked eye the color really does match the body pretty well. The latch works great and there are no rattles from the tailgate.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Streetskirt; 01-21-2010 at 06:23 PM..
Streetskirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #52
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Someone did a custom job on mine. I really think I want to add this just to fortify what was done. Could I send some pics to you? PM me an email address to look over what was done and see if your kit can be added on?
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #53
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's time to go RETRO with your TJ or YJ tailgate and convert it to a fold down design just like the old school CJ's.

Thanks Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #54
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

I just placed my order a few minutes ago. Looks like a great product, I can't wait to get it.

BTW I put it in the special notes section but just to be sure. No webs on the hinges please.

Thanks, David M
David_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #55
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feed back. Make sure to send me a few pictures of the drop down tailgate kit installed on your Jeep and I will add them to the web site.

Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #56
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hot off the laser cutter......."Flat Back" Drop Down Tailgate Conversion Kit For Your YJ-TJ-LJ

Because I can't leave well enough alone, I made a few optional additions to the drop down tailgate kit.

Two panels made out strong yet light weight 3/16" aluminum. This will compliment the aluminum corners that my Jeep will soon be wearing.

I am calling this kit the "Flat Back" drop down tailgate kit. I incorporated the hinge hole locations and toggle latch that were previously on three separate plates. It cleaned up the look of the drop down tailgate kit, hence the name "Flat Back".

As an option, I am selling just the aluminum plates by themselves for those of you who have purchased a kit from me previously. The only change to installing these two aluminum panels is the addition of a new hole next to the factory latch. All other holes will line up with previously drilled holes in your tailgate.

Swagoffroad.com "FLAT BACK" Drop down tailgate conversion kit.

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #57
undercoverfab
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagoffroad View Post
I released a new kit for those of you who want to install a CJ tailgate on your Jeep TJ or YJ.

This kit installs with minimal shop tools, and does not require you to drop your gas tank for installation.

The kit includes the following:
Cables
Hinges
Tub mounted brackets the attach the upper end of the cable to the Jeep tub
Threaded nut insert backing plates to mount the bottom of the hinge to your Jeep tub, as well as all related fasteners.

Swagoffroad.com, CJ Tailgate Conversion Kit for your TJ or YJ

Thanks Troy
I have a CJ tailgate (complete with cables, hinges, and latches) to put on my LJ, but I need the brackets and hardware to attach the cables at the top and the backing plate and hardware for the bottom of the hinges. Can you supply just those parts in a package for me?
(334) 873-4000

Jeep Forum 10% Off Discount Code: jeepforum.com

Check us out on Facebook

undercoverfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #58
Goobersbro

so I have some savvy aluminum corners and I'm wondering how the aluminum drop down would look with my savvy corners....I read that you were going to be putting aluminum corners on have you done this yet I would love to see some pictures....Also basicly I just screw those aluminum plates onto my tail gate sandwiching it between correct.
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #59
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
so I have some savvy aluminum corners and I'm wondering how the aluminum drop down would look with my savvy corners....I read that you were going to be putting aluminum corners on have you done this yet I would love to see some pictures....Also with the aluminum drop down basicly you just have the regular drop down gate and then you take those pieces of aluminum and sandwich the tail gait.... Yes or is the whole drop down tail gate aluminum....
I need to sell my current 4.5" stretched corners and tube fenders before I order up a set of aluminum corners.

The aluminum drop downed tailgate kit is two 3/16" thick plates that bolt over the top of your existing tailgate and boxed section below the tailgate. This way your tailgate remains lockable and is compatible with you hard or soft top.

Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #60
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagoffroad View Post
I need to sell my current 4.5" stretched corners and tube fenders before I order up a set of aluminum corners.

The aluminum drop downed tailgate kit is two 3/16" thick plates that bolt over the top of your existing tailgate and boxed section below the tailgate. This way your tailgate remains lockable and is compatible with you hard or soft top.

Troy
Oh alright yea I figured that out after I posted. It was a long night at work and I'm not thinking clearly hahaha anywho now I shall debate if I want to order or not

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.