TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What about this setup?

Troy,
I have a Soft top, and really am not interested in a hard top. I am not overly concern about it being difficult to open, as I was considering welding it from the inside so the jeep looked like it still had a functional tailgate, but dont have the funds to perform properly. I am ok with the latch on the passenger side you have, and would consider the same on the Driver side to hold the tailgate inplace.

My Perfered thought would be the Classic Chain on the outside, and TJ hood Latches on the inside to do the actual holding of the tailgate close (to reduce the rattles). Any thoughts on the second Idea of the Chain and hood latches?

Also, I am purhcasing the CJ tailgate hindge kit. Would your hindges use the factory holes that I am going to be drilling into the tub? I am assuming your hindges are more than $40 for a pair (which is what I plan on paying). My tub has title that has been totaled. I have to go thru state inspection to get a Rebuilt Title. And I am buying NEW body parts to make passing state inspection easy. But it drives up the cost, so I have to save as much as possible when it comes to all the small parts such as hindges and hood latching kits.

BTW: I like the web hindges.

Thanks,
John

XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #17
97TJosh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Would this conversion work with a stock spare tire mount? I have around a 32" spare, think it would hit the bumper or would this kit even work with the stock monted spare tire carrier?

I love CODMW2
97TJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJosh View Post
Would this conversion work with a stock spare tire mount? I have around a 32" spare, think it would hit the bumper or would this kit even work with the stock monted spare tire carrier?
You will need to use an aftermarket swing out tire carrier with the drop down tailgate conversion kit.

Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Swagoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I want one! I'm sure we will be in touch. I look forward to having one of these soon.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #20
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
I want one! I'm sure we will be in touch. I look forward to having one of these soon.
Sounds good, when your ready to order let me know.

Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 10-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #21
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Any Idea on my request?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagoffroad View Post
Sounds good, when your ready to order let me know.

Troy
Hey, did you see my request for how I would like my YJ done? Is it possible do have external chain and internal latches?

Do your hindges use factory mounting holes on the CJ tailgate?

Thanks,
John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
Unread 10-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #22
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM3 View Post
Hey, did you see my request for how I would like my YJ done? Is it possible do have external chain and internal latches?

Do your hindges use factory mounting holes on the CJ tailgate?

Thanks,
John

John,

Any deivation from the standard kit will need to be done on your end.
I could run myself ragged trying to come up with unique solutions for every request that comes my way.

The hinges I use do fit the factory mounting holes for the CJ tailgate.

Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 10-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #23
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks

Quote:
John,

I could run myself ragged trying to come up with unique solutions for every request that comes my way.

Troy
Will you sell the hindges by them self?

Thanks,
John
Unread 10-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

cost ~ thanks

Quote:
John,

Troy
How much will the hindges cost plus shipping to seattle/tacoma washington

Thanks,
John
Unread 10-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a somewhat odd question I guess. Would it be possible to make a kit that works both ways, swings out, and also drops down. Obviously not at the same time, but maybe a setup where there is two set of hinges. One pin can pull from either set of hinges, and allow it to swing one way, put it back in, pull the other pin, it swings the other way. You could even put both pins in, and keep it from opening at all, a small form of security. Or take both pins out, and be able to take the gate off fully without a hassle. I know that kind of kit would be more expensive, but my dad and I were talking about creating a kit like that one day (if we ever got a welder), and he has seen the kit before in person, and he said it looks very solid and would be really cool with a dual swing option. Let me know if this would one day be possible, I know for sure I wouldn't be able to order for quite some time though.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #26
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I have a somewhat odd question I guess. Would it be possible to make a kit that works both ways, swings out, and also drops down. Obviously not at the same time, but maybe a setup where there is two set of hinges. One pin can pull from either set of hinges, and allow it to swing one way, put it back in, pull the other pin, it swings the other way. You could even put both pins in, and keep it from opening at all, a small form of security. Or take both pins out, and be able to take the gate off fully without a hassle. I know that kind of kit would be more expensive, but my dad and I were talking about creating a kit like that one day (if we ever got a welder), and he has seen the kit before in person, and he said it looks very solid and would be really cool with a dual swing option. Let me know if this would one day be possible, I know for sure I wouldn't be able to order for quite some time though.

If you left your stock hinges on the passenger side in place and made a removable center pin, as well as a removable center pin on the bottom two hinges, then yes you could have a kit that is able to swing down or out depending on which center pins you pulled.

Simular to this picture.

This modification would be easy for you to do.

Troy
p1010390-1.jpg  

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #27
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you left your stock hinges on the passenger side in place and made a removable center pin, as well as a removable center pin on the bottom two hinges, then yes you could have a kit that is able to swing down or out depending on which center pins you pulled.

Simular to this picture.

This modification would be easy for you to do.

Troy
Wow... that is really cool. Does the kit still use the factory latch? If so, then I think it would be a fairly easy modification, and you would be able to sell a kit like that with no problem. Also, in that picture, is that the factory hinge. I know mine is plastic, but am not sure if it is just a black plastic cover. Once again, thanks for the information, I am still figuring out which parts to get, and who to get them from for when I can finally start my own build.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #28
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The kit does use the factory latch.

Let me know when you are ready to order.

Thanks Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #29
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I really like this kit other then the latch on the right side. It screams HEY LOOK AT ME. Is there any other option availible?
Unread 10-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #30
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000jeeper View Post
I really like this kit other then the latch on the right side. It screams HEY LOOK AT ME. Is there any other option availible?
I currently don't offer any other way of latching the top passenger side. If it is the red handle that screams at you then remove the red plastic handle.

Troy

Visit us on Facebook

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.