Poison Spyder TrailGate™ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Poison Spyder TrailGate™

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
DTS
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Poison Spyder TrailGate™

Tired of the limited functionality of your Jeep's swing-out tailgate? Do you yearn for the convenience and functionality of the drop-down tailgates from back in the day? Looking to shed a few pounds while gaining a smooth new look for your trail rig? The Poison Spyder TrailGate™ replaces your Jeep's heavy, cumbersome swing-out tailgate with a lightweight, sleek, aluminum drop-down gate and Tramp Stamp™. The complete TrailGate™ kit includes the aluminum TrailGate™ panel, lower Tramp Stamp™ heavy duty hinges, locking flush-mount latches, limiting cables, brackets, weatherstrips and hardware.

The drop-down TrailGate™' restores classic "tailgating" functionality to your Jeep. Use it as a convenient seat at outdoor events, or as a lunch prep table for those stops along the trail. It even works great as a temporary work bench for performing those on-site trail repairs. The TrailGate™'s smooth exterior surface gives the back of your Jeep a smooth, clean appearance, which looks great by itself and even better when used in conjunction with a pair of Poison Spyder Crusher Corners™! If you already have our Crusher Corners, you may cover the hinge cut-outs with the optional Tailgate Hinge Delete Covers (available soon, to be sold separately--not part of the standard kit).

The gate panel is CNC laser-cut and precision brake-formed from 3/16" aluminum plate. The Tramp Stamp™ piece is CNC laser-cut from the same 3/16" aluminum plate, featuring the Poison Spyder logo across the center. The Tramp Stamp™ and cable brackets install using nut-serts, which are provided in the complete hardware kit, along with stainless steel button head fasteners. The high quality latches are lockable (keys are included) and sit flush when closed to maintain the sleek profile of the TrailGate™

How strong is it? We won't give it a weight rating but it's proven itself to be very strong in our testing here at the Spyder Compound. It will easily hold the weight of a 260 lb big boy standing on it, and even a pair of 180 lb. little guys sitting on it side-by side, though we don't recommend jumping up and down on it.

The TrailGate™ is priced at $369.00 Spyder-Direct, or through any of our authorized Poison Spyder dealers. The TrailGate™ ships as bare aluminum, ready for you to paint or powder coat in the color of your choice. Like the Tramp Stamp™ but don't need the TrailGate™? A non-gate Tramp Stamp™ is available by itself.

The TrailGate is currently available for TJ/LJ. It will be available for YJ soon. Note that the photos above do not show the latch covers, which do come in the kit and cover the latch mechanisms on the inside of the gate. I'll update with photos of the latch covers in place as soon as I can.

DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I really like it. I tried doing a drop down tailgate, but didn't like how it turned out and went back to stock. Ive still always like the drop down. I really dig the whole replacement tailgate though. It looks like there is a seal on there, right?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I like the look, how is it to set your butt on?
The break at the top of the tail gate, looks like it may be a little uncomfortable, if you were to sit on it for an extended amount of time. I like the double latches.
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
kashoggio

Very cool

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkRed"]"Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion."[/COLOR][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2004-tj-rubicon-skittles-build-1152944/"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Lime"]MY JEEP BUILD [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=226258"]ITEMS FOR SALE [/url]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/polish-jeepers/"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]POLISH JEEPERS CLUB[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/url]
kashoggio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow wow very nice
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
rykerjenbob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gonna get one as soon as the yj version comes out.
rykerjenbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
ken white
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice...
ken white is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
LeeIndy
2002 WJ 

When is there gonna be a good replacement for the CJ
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelset View Post
I like the look, how is it to set your butt on?
The break at the top of the tail gate, looks like it may be a little uncomfortable, if you were to sit on it for an extended amount of time. I like the double latches.
You'll probably want to use a pad or something. Get one of those pads you take to football games when you sit in the bleachers. That break has to be there to match the shape of the Jeep's tub, and also to give the gate more rigidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykerjenbob View Post
Gonna get one as soon as the yj version comes out.
This MIGHT be the YJ version too. We suspect it will fit fine without further modification. But we need to test-fit it on a YJ before we make that claim, which we will try to do here shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIndy View Post
When is there gonna be a good replacement for the CJ
Hey you already got a drop-down tailgate, from the factory! When we get a chance we'll try to fit this one up on a CJ as well, see how it fits. I suspect that if it fits the YJ it will fit the CJ.
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I really like it. I tried doing a drop down tailgate, but didn't like how it turned out and went back to stock. Ive still always like the drop down. I really dig the whole replacement tailgate though. It looks like there is a seal on there, right?
Yes it comes with rubber seals for the sides. That's actually the only reason these are on "pre-order" at this point, everything else is ready to go, we're just waiting on the weatherstrip vendor.

That said, we don't want to make the claim that these are 100% weatherproof. For example, there is no rubber seal along the bottom, and we're not sure how well you will be able to seal the hard top or soft top to the top of it. This product will probably evolve a little more over time, as we get a few of them into use and make small revisions here and there.
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My stock tailgate isn't 100% weatherproof either. The other thing I realized is you can sell the stock tailgate and hinges for a pretty penny. Ill def be putting these on "the list". However its a very long list...

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
LeeIndy
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post

This MIGHT be the YJ version too. We suspect it will fit fine without further modification. But we need to test-fit it on a YJ before we make that claim, which we will try to do here shortly.

Hey you already got a drop-down tailgate, from the factory! When we get a chance we'll try to fit this one up on a CJ as well, see how it fits. I suspect that if it fits the YJ it will fit the CJ.
send me one and ill test fit it on a yj and a cj for ya
Unread 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
southernss
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What is the weight difference between yours and the stock tailgate?
southernss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

any luck testing on a yj this thing looks sicks and my yj tale gate is about done. if you need one to be tested send it my way id love one.
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernss View Post
What is the weight difference between yours and the stock tailgate?
Stock tailgate with hinges and brackets weighs about 30 lbs. TrailGate kit weighs about 16 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bft89yj View Post
any luck testing on a yj this thing looks sicks and my yj tale gate is about done. if you need one to be tested send it my way id love one.
Not yet. We'll post up here when we do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.