Poison Spyder Rear Stinger/Tire Carrier - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Poison Spyder Rear Stinger/Tire Carrier

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #121
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I actually stumbled across this thread after visiting the Poison Spyder website. The site says that this product will not fit out of the box if you have a BL, and you have to weld some pieces together yourself. I've never welded a day in my life, is there anyway I could order a stinger/bumper custom for my respective Body Lifted LJ? After all, the name of the company is Poison Spyder Customs... I'll be your facebook friend if you hook me up...

nibblesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #122
Universal_Diver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibblesupreme View Post
I actually stumbled across this thread after visiting the Poison Spyder website. The site says that this product will not fit out of the box if you have a BL, and you have to weld some pieces together yourself. I've never welded a day in my life, is there anyway I could order a stinger/bumper custom for my respective Body Lifted LJ? After all, the name of the company is Poison Spyder Customs... I'll be your facebook friend if you hook me up...
I am in the exact same position. I want to buy it, put it on and go wheel. I have No desire or time to do any fab work. Id rather spend that time riding.
Universal_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #123
DTS
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

The Rear Stinger attaches to points on both the frame and the body, which of course get farther apart when you add a body lift. The standard build is for Jeeps with no body lift. If you have a body lift there are several options.

First, we could leave the "arms" unwelded so you can weld them on yourself, once you've fit everything up on your Jeep with whatever amount of body lift you have.

Second option is that you could install the non-body-lift version, and simply move the tub-brackets downward however far they need to go to compensate for your body lift. You'd have to drill new holes through the Crusher Corners and the tub (on non-body-lifted Jeeps they use the same bolt holes from the Crusher Corner install). If you have a 1" body lift, you would move them down 1", for example.

Note that the old Poison Spyder shipped ALL of their Rear Stingers un-welded, for this very reason. But we have fixtured up for the non-body-lift and offer them fully welded like that, because that is the most common configuration and we haven't seen the demand yet to justify building fixtures for several different body lift combinations.
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #124
BSaint
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If I were to get it non welded, would a 1.25'' BL throw off the angles enough for it to no longer fit a 42'' tire if I were to try to mount it at the locations it was designed to be installed at? Also, I've read it fits a 40'' tire, what about a 42''? Just making sure before i order. thanks

~Brad
BSaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 03:00 AM   #125
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is definitely the best looking stinger tire carrier out there. I do have a 1" daystar body lift, however. But right now I just have a bare tub, no corner guards or anything. So, I could just mount the upper mounts about an inch lower? It would not interfere with anything on the tub?

Was the only issue the holes would no longer match up with your corner guards?

Thanks for the clarification.

PS: What are these things shipping for? More then $100? Just wondering the average.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #126
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSaint View Post
If I were to get it non welded, would a 1.25'' BL throw off the angles enough for it to no longer fit a 42'' tire if I were to try to mount it at the locations it was designed to be installed at? Also, I've read it fits a 40'' tire, what about a 42''? Just making sure before i order. thanks

~Brad
Brad, it shouldn't throw the angles off very much at all, just by moving the corner brackets up 1-1/4" higher. I don't have a protractor handy but my guess is the change in angle of the tire carrier would be so small you wouldn't be able to see it. We have not placed a 42" tire into it, 40" is the biggest we've had on hand here at the shop. However there is nothing in the way of putting in a tire that is 2" taller. In fact the 3-way tire strap we use allows for just that sort of adjustability. I think you'll be OK.
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #127
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
This is definitely the best looking stinger tire carrier out there. I do have a 1" daystar body lift, however. But right now I just have a bare tub, no corner guards or anything. So, I could just mount the upper mounts about an inch lower? It would not interfere with anything on the tub?

Was the only issue the holes would no longer match up with your corner guards?

Thanks for the clarification.

PS: What are these things shipping for? More then $100? Just wondering the average.
Yes, simply mounting the corner brackets 1" lower is one of your options, if you want to receive the carrier fully welded from us. They ship truck freight on a pallet. Not because of the weight but because the overall dimensions are too big for UPS. If you send us a zip code we can get you a shipping quote. Its impossible to quote a ballpark figure without knowing the destination. Thanks,
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #128
DTS
Vendor

Just after making the last two posts I spoke with our R&D guy, who said we will be offering a few different lower plates soon, to accomodate different body lifts. We'd be interested in hearing everyone's input on what the most popular body lift heights are. I don't have an ETA for this yet but I'll post more when I know more.
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #129
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2" body lift but 1" and 1.25" are by far the most common. I'm thinking about taking 1" out of mine anyway as soon as I can afford a good suspension kit,so a 1" body lift option on the carrier would be really nice.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #130
Universal_Diver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
We'd be interested in hearing everyone's input on what the most popular body lift heights are.
I have a M.O.R.E. 1" BL this is basically the only thing holding me back from getting one.
Universal_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #131
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

By FAR the most popular BL is the 1.25".

I think it's wonderful the manufacturer is listening to input from consumers.
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #132
97GreenMachine
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #133
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i'm holding out for the 1.25" model. a month? 6? a year? what are we lookin' at here?
Unread 02-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #134
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

can you fit a hitch on your rig if you have this bumper?
Unread 02-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #135
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulLeoni View Post
I am pretty sure I can fit my hitch in there, It would share the bottom holes on the plate and the ones in the chasis are not in use with the poison spyder set up. If you need more info I can present my receiver and take pics.
PLEASE DO! I'd like to see how you hooked the hitch up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.