Poison Spyder Hood Louvers - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Poison Spyder Hood Louvers

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #391
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

oh well then yeah, it helps. i have an infared temperature reader and compared my engine bay to my buddies stock tj there was a significant difference in engine bay temps and hood temps between us. i dont remember the numbers at the moment though.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #392
DTS
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Also there have been a lot of good testimonials posted in this thread. I know its a lot to wade through at 27 pages and counting, but for anyone who needs to see some feedback from real users, and not just our own propaganda as the manufacturer, there's a lot of good feedback in there.
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #393
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have to say I am happy with the product and would buy it again but the engineering is a little weird...

The two small forward facing louvres near the windshield seem to be placed mostly for aesthetics. If I would have cut the opening in the hood as marked on the template, I would have cut a substantial part out of both the widthwise and lengthwise hood stiffener/ supports. I adjusted the rearmost holes forward by about 1/2" and the inboard most holes outboard by a similar amount.

I would suggest to anyone considering using this, spend a good amount of time understanding exactly where those holes are going and what's underneath before drilling.
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #394
TheOtherMe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbug View Post
I have to say I am happy with the product and would buy it again but the engineering is a little weird...

The two small forward facing louvres near the windshield seem to be placed mostly for aesthetics. If I would have cut the opening in the hood as marked on the template, I would have cut a substantial part out of both the widthwise and lengthwise hood stiffener/ supports. I adjusted the rearmost holes forward by about 1/2" and the inboard most holes outboard by a similar amount.

I would suggest to anyone considering using this, spend a good amount of time understanding exactly where those holes are going and what's underneath before drilling.
I agree. I'm happy with the end result, but would have been more so if the forward facing louvers were positioned so the structural supports didn't need to be cut to fully expose them. I ended up cutting smaller holes that left the supports intact. You can see where they disappear under the center support. The rear louver (the third, bottom one that cannot be seen) is almost completely covered as well.

TheOtherMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #395
DTS
Vendor

Thanks to Courtney Torok for sending in these photos of the JK Hood Louver Install sequence.

Unread 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #396
SmedzJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS
Here's one a customer had powder coated in silver vein, turned out nice:

To answer some of the questions recently posted in this thread,

I do not have any photos that show black bolt heads. I too think it would look cool. Just be careful with "black oxide" finish, as it rusts easily. Best bet would probably be to paint the bolt heads. Alternatively, you could probably source black anodized pop rivets from McMaster-Carr or some other industrial supply house.

Sorry but we do not offer forum member discounts. We're on so many forums that it would basically constitute a blanket discount for everyone. To do that we would have to raise our "normal" price to be able to afford it, and we don't want to get in to gimmicks like that. One discount we do offer is an Active Duty Military discount, as we believe that is something that membership in truly does deserve special treatment--more so than just having signed up for an internet forum. If you qualify for that, ask about it when placing your order and our sales guys can fill you in on the details.

We STILL do not have an ETA on the YJ or early TJ versions of the hood louvers. My understanding is that they have already been drawn but we have not yet received first articles from the laser shop. I do not have a good excuse for why that is the case. I do know that our guys who are usually involved in R&D and prototyping new parts have been buried helping our regular production guys keep up with demand for products that are already in production. We've experienced tremendous growth in the past few months, and ironically that seems to have adversely affected the pace of our new product development. FWIW, we are also "working on" a JK version but it is also stuck in R&D limbo.
Wish I'd known about the Military discount before I'd ordered mine. I'm just excited to have it in hand and look forward to installing it.
SmedzJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #397
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmedzJK View Post
Wish I'd known about the Military discount before I'd ordered mine. I'm just excited to have it in hand and look forward to installing it.
We don't actively advertise it because its technically a violation of our own MAP (minimum advertised pricing) policy that is in our dealer agreements. So we keep it on the down low, you have to ask for it. Please do so on your next purchase, and thank you for serving
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #398
thehartster
Garage Rat

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know this thread has been stagnant for awhile but since I installed my louver I just wanted to add.
Product is top notch and no complaints on hardware.....although black hardware would be a nice touch instead of having to paint the screws to match the powder coated piece.
I used the tips on this thread which made my install a fun and satisfying job. I figure I might as well add mine too. I just added most comments in the photos, which you will need to enlarge for reading.
Biggest thing I noticed while viewing many posts and threads on the PS hood louver were placement of the washers. I noticed some had them on the louver and some had them under the hood.
I believe that the washers should be on the inside/under the hood and not on the louver itself, since it makes a more low profile look and most applications are done this way. The nylon lock nuts are nice, no need to tighten too much, just a very slight snug fit which will keep your louver nice and flush with the hood and will eliminate any indentations.
Thanks all for the input
z.jpg   e.jpg   f.jpg   g.jpg  
thehartster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #399
Biglar

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks Great! Thanks for the great pictures and your input. And yes, the washers are for the underside of the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehartster View Post
I know this thread has been stagnant for awhile but since I installed my louver I just wanted to add.
Product is top notch and no complaints on hardware.....although black hardware would be a nice touch instead of having to paint the screws to match the powder coated piece.
I used the tips on this thread which made my install a fun and satisfying job. I figure I might as well add mine too. I just added most comments in the photos, which you will need to enlarge for reading.
Biggest thing I noticed while viewing many posts and threads on the PS hood louver were placement of the washers. I noticed some had them on the louver and some had them under the hood.
I believe that the washers should be on the inside/under the hood and not on the louver itself, since it makes a more low profile look and most applications are done this way. The nylon lock nuts are nice, no need to tighten too much, just a very slight snug fit which will keep your louver nice and flush with the hood and will eliminate any indentations.
Thanks all for the input
Biglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #400
DTS
Vendor

Eric Godsey of Bham-JK club, Helena, AL, sent us some photos of this interesting paint job he did with his Poison Spyder Hood Louver. According to Eric, "I found some heat sensitive paint that changes from black to clear at 86F, so I had to find a cool use for it. I’m going for a zombie build and have named the jeep “Hazard”, so...I primed it flat black to start with. I printed a decal of a biohazard symbol, cut it, applied and painted it white, color matched to my jeep. Peeled the stencil, then painted over it completely with the color changing black paint. This hides the white almost completely! Clear coated and mounted it. Once the engine heats it up past 86F, the black turns clear to show the biohazard symbol! Otherwise you have to look for it to see the outline." Very cool idea Eric! Eric's photos of the process:

Vinyl stencil applied:

Biohazard symbol painted white, stencil removed:

After applying the heat-sensitive paint, you can barely make out the symbol through it:

Mounted on the hood:

Mounted on the Jeep, cold:

Hot:

Unread 11-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #401
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's awesome!
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #402
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Very creative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #403
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think I like them. Thanks all for the help. Mine are still a work in progress but went from having the windshield frame hood crease to this..

bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #404
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I really like how well they vent but the powder coat has started to peel after just over a year. If I would have known that I would have had my powder coat guy do it.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #405
DTS
Vendor

A few more customer-submitted Poison Spyder Hood Louver photos:

Vanessa Cowling likes it dirty:

Thanks to Michael J. Fox (no, not THAT one) for this shot:

The folks at New Smyrna Jeep built this nice rig with a bunch of our parts, including the Hood Louver:

Here's one on "Ratchet", thanks to Thomas Bradshaw:

How about a couple of TJ ones, starting with this one from Kyle Szuman:

Thanks to Kelly Heiland for this one:

Here's one from Shane Smith:

and this one from Andy & Kim Goswick:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.