Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep Fender Armor! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep Fender Armor!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #31
DTS
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
does that side plate happen to work with factory flares and factory fenders?
It would fit, but it wouldn't come all the way up to the edge of the flare, since the DeFender has a larger wheel opening than the stock flare. You'd have a gap at the forward edge of the plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T. View Post
These are awesome! Especially with the full side plates. I'd like to see a high lined version!

Edit - What light bar is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 141 View Post
X2 on the light bar. Not usaully a fan of them, but it's very low profile with the LED's and the mounting plate would hide my dented window frame (damn trees!).
Its a Rigid E-Series 50" LED Light Bar, on a prototype set of Poison Spyder mounting brackets. Those brackets will be available soon for TJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
These look really nice. I like the idea of the lighter weight aluminum. Earlier you posted the dimensions of the components of the fender. Are those the same dimensions for steel and aluminum? The 3" flare version appeals to me greatly, but think the 4.5" option would be a great option as well for those with Rubicons, Saharas, or a requirement for better tire coverage.
All of the dimensions are exactly the same between the steel and aluminum versions. These are fabricated entirely out of 3/16" plate, either P&O Steel or 6061 aluminum.

Quote:
Do you have any close up pics of where the 3/4" signal would mount? Is it like it was for the previous tube fenders at the joint of the grille and fender?
In this pic you can see the hole for the LED, in the gusset area next to the grille. I don't have any good photos yet of a mounted DeFender with the LED installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskwarek View Post
Have a missed it, or is it not posted? Are these true bolt on fenders utilizing the stock inner fender, or do they require hacking up the stock fender? I almost pulled the trigger on the MC versions, these might edge them out as I'd really prefer the PS rockers over the MC versions.
Its been posted a couple times, you just missed it ...the DeFenders do not include an inner fender portion. You have to retain your stock inner fenders. With all of this demand we will probably have to consider offering an add-on inner fender. But I can't say when that will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIFLER View Post
metalcloak was never an option for me they are hideous... but until I saw these nothing really jumped out and said buy me buy me! WIN
The guys at Metal Cloak are friends of ours and we enjoy the healthy competition. The appearance of their products might not be for everyone but you can't deny they think outside the box and do their own thing. They've certainly done a great job of convincing everyone that they need replacement inner fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIFLER View Post
Dusty is there a PDF for installation I could see? I like to prep myself toolwise. What about rear fenders w/3" flare? is that defender on the white LJ?
I don't have the instructions written yet. We've installed them on two Jeeps here at the shop so far, but both were already hacked up for our old tube fenders. That's part of why we're giving away five sets of these, so we can get some photos and discover any caveats with mounting them to a previously un-molested Jeep. But the installation is very close to the procedure for our old tube fenders, with only a couple of minor differences. If you'd like to look at those instructions they can be downloaded from our web site (on the tube fender page). Until we get a chance to re-write them, we're sending tube fender install instructions out with the early adoptees, and asking them to call us with any questions they can't figure out.

DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #32
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Im not really seeing all the hate... Theyre not that much different than whats already around... just with a few improvements. Ill second the louvered panel option. I like the spider but I think youll get more love with something less "in your face."

Ill just throw in one more thought, to all the naysayers that want a full fender for the benefit of selling your stock fenders... ever notice how many sets of stock fenders are floating around out there? Mine are in my attic, I couldnt even give them away.
If I had known that, I would have taken em off your hands.

My main reason for selling my stock fenders is the $$ I spent getting them (and a hood) painted. My wife would LOVE for me to recoup some of that $$ spent.

I too like the idea of the louvers in the side panel! But would be really cool would be for people being able to send you images of what logo they'd like there and have that done custom (with a surcharge most likely). With the computer controlled cutters nowadays, that'd be pretty easy to do, yet off people a chance to have unique things on their rig.

Will the DeFenders come with any kind of cover/plate for that area as part of this?
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Will the DeFenders come with any kind of cover/plate for that area as part of this?
The inserts or cover plates are sold separately. If you're referring to the give-away we're running in the other thread, yes that will include each recipients' choice of side plates.
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #34
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

At the pricing they're at now I'd jump on a 6" set; I'll gladly submit an application for the 3" set though. If they cover as much as the stock ones do it should keep me out of trouble for the most part. They look good though, only thing I'd change is to offer a blank plate for the side. I'll be anxious to see them in person.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #35
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

great thanks for response!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #36
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

still no pics of the negative flare version? i really want to see how those or at least the zeros look on a rig!
bmosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #37
97TONYtj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

3/16" vs .12"? hmmmm why would you write it that way ohhhhhh i know because 3/16" is .1875" which doesn't sound as impressive. ur right huge difference for the price. my mistake
97TONYtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #38
edmonddantes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Like the really clean lines.
You guys need some pics of the negative version installed.
Have you guys thought of tapering off the leading edge more on the 3" version? I love the functionality of flares but hate the way they look from the front.
Genright has a pretty sharp taper on their G3 fenders that make them look really good from the front (less like wings)
I will say I'm in the market for new fenders and these have really peaked my interest.
Good job
edmonddantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #39
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TONYtj View Post
3/16" vs .12"? hmmmm why would you write it that way ohhhhhh i know because 3/16" is .1875" which doesn't sound as impressive. ur right huge difference for the price. my mistake
I guess you missed this whole paragraph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post

Most "tube fenders" use a piece of .120" thick (just under 1/8") tubing as the outer edge rub rail, with 1/8" thick sheetmetal top plates. Compare that to the 3/16" (.188") thick material of the DeFender™ which is carried throughout its structure, from the outer rub rail surface to the top plates to the mounting structure. The DeFender™ is not only much stronger than a tube fender, it looks much better as well, with smooth flat surfaces that blend better with your Jeep's exterior appearance.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #40
AppFan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post

Very tempted on this and am waiting to hear if the 4.5" becomes a reality. In this pic there looks like there is a gap between the wheelwell and fender where you'd be slinging a lot of dirt into the engine compartment. Am I looking at it wrong or is it just not installed all the way?
Thanks
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #41
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
Very tempted on this and am waiting to hear if the 4.5" becomes a reality. In this pic there looks like there is a gap between the wheelwell and fender where you'd be slinging a lot of dirt into the engine compartment. Am I looking at it wrong or is it just not installed all the way?
Thanks
That gap is there because that Jeep used to have our old school Tube Fenders, which required cutting that inner fender further inboard to clear the tube. Any Jeep retrofitting to the DeFenders from our old Tube Fenders would have that issue. If installing DeFenders on a previously un-molested Jeep, you would not have that gap, as you would cut the inner fender right at the corner where it meets the outer fender skin.
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #42
ex m38a1er
2003 TJ Wrangler 

6" PLEASE!!!
We have to stay legal...

'WHO DARES,WINS'

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/e...-my-tj-723762/
ex m38a1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #43
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No yj going elsewhere

/| ,[___], |--L --[]|||||[]- ()_) ()_)-o-()_)

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #44
IAmAmerican
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any pictures of the negatives mounted on a TJ?
IAmAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #45
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthole View Post
No yj going elsewhere

/| ,[___], |--L --[]|||||[]- ()_) ()_)-o-()_)
YJ's are next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmAmerican View Post
Any pictures of the negatives mounted on a TJ?
Not yet, give us a couple weeks. Or you could check out our Facebook page, there's a currently mounting up a set, he's posted a couple WIP photos so far, he should have some finished photos posted there soon.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.