Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep Fender Armor! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep Fender Armor!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
DTS
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep Fender Armor!

Poison Spyder raises the bar for Jeep fender armor—DeFender™s are the next evolutionary step beyond "tube fenders". CNC laser cutting and precision brake-forming yield a stronger, more functional, better-looking fender than the tired, out-dated tube fender design. DeFenders™ provide protection to your Jeep during hard core trail use as well as increased clearance for larger tires and suspension articulation. The wheel opening is approximately 4" wider than the stock Jeep fenders, and about 2-1/2" wider than old school tube fenders.

Solid, "Tubeless" Construction
DeFenders™ are fabricated entirely from CNC laser-cut, precision brake-formed 3/16" plate, either heavy duty P&O steel or lightweight 6061-T6 aluminum. Only one competitor manufactures a fender that's anything like the DeFender™—fabricated entirely of plate with no tubing—but their design leaves a vertical edge of the metal pointed downward, right at the tire. The DeFender™ has an extra "return", or lip along the underside of the fender, which provides better protection from cutting into a fully stuffed tire, while also lending extra strength to the outer edge of the fender, where it is most likely to come in contact with rocks, canyon walls, trees, etc.

DeFenders™ vs. "tube fenders"
DeFenders™ are not "tube fenders"—they're better! Much of the Jeep armor industry was built upon Poison Spyder's original Tube Fender design, which has been borrowed, copied, and in some cases even improved upon, by many of our competitors. But now the state of the art in Jeep fender armor takes a giant leap forward with the DeFender™ product line. Rather than tube, the outer edges of the DeFender™ are brake-formed into a rugged 3-sided rub rail.

Most "tube fenders" use a piece of .120" thick (just under 1/8") tubing as the outer edge rub rail, with 1/8" thick sheetmetal top plates. Compare that to the 3/16" (.188") thick material of the DeFender™ which is carried throughout its structure, from the outer rub rail surface to the top plates to the mounting structure. The DeFender™ is not only much stronger than a tube fender, it looks much better as well, with smooth flat surfaces that blend better with your Jeep's exterior appearance.

Increased Front Tire Clearance
Even on the non-highline version, the DeFender™ provides a much larger wheel opening than stock or some competitors' tube fenders. The back of the wheel opening, where larger tires tend to rub when the steering is at full-lock, is approximately 2˝" further back compared to typical tube fenders, and about 4" further back than the stock Jeep flares.

Multiple Flare Width Options
DeFenders™ are available in a variety of different fender widths to fit your needs and your style of four-wheeling. The "Negative Flare" closely hugs the hood line, sticking out just far enough to provide a mini-fender and space to mount the hood latch. Negative Flare DeFenders™ are designed for those who want maximum clearance for wheeling through tight obstacles.

"Zero Flare" matches the sheetmetal stock fender width without flares. That is, it continues straight forward from the Jeep's tub, like a stock Jeep with the flares removed. Zero Flare DeFenders™ are used by those who want the look and functionality of the stock fender dimensions, but with the increased clearance of running flareless.

For those who need to maintain tire coverage, the DeFenders™ with 3" Flares provide approximately the same tire coverage as the stock flares. These aren't just an added-on pieces—each DeFender™ is built from the ground up as a seamless, one-piece fender with integrated flare.

Steel or Aluminum?
DeFenders™ are available in either heavy duty steel or light weight aluminum (both 3/16" thick). We recommend steel for those Jeeps whose fenders are frequently in contact with the rocks. For those needing a great looking, light weight fender that's strong but not necessarily as hard core as the steel ones, aluminum is a great alternative.

Easy Access & Side Plate Options
Access holes in the side of the DeFender™ make it easy to access the area between the wheel well and the firewall during installation. After installation, these holes are covered with a choice of different side cover plates. For the simplest install, choose the DeFender™ Side Inserts, which fill the access holes in the side panels of the DeFender™. DeFender™ Side Inserts are CNC laser cut from 1/8" aluminum plate. The Spyder logo cut-out acts as an air vent to promote airflow through the engine bay. The Side Inserts are designed to bolt to the inside surface of the DeFender™, using the supplied stainless steel button head hardware. For those who want more substantial armor protection, the DeFender™ Full Length Side Plates extend from the fender flare rearward to the door opening, and from the top of the Rocker Knockers™ up to the hood line. These Full Length Side Plates also provide extra bracing for the DeFender™ against frontal impacts, helping to prevent buckling of the weaker, stock tub sheetmetal just rearward of the armored fender.

DeFender™ Full Length Side Plates are CNC laser cut from 3/16" 6061-T6 aluminum plate. Bolt holes are countersunk so that the supplied flat head stainless steel hardware lies flush with the plate's surface. The forward edge is cut to fit the enlarged wheel opening of Poison Spyder DeFenders™, while the lower edge is is cut to nest against Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers™ or Ricochet Rockers™ (NOTE: the angle of the forward edge of the Full Length Side Plates may not precisely align with the forward edge of older versions of Rocker Knockers™ and Ricochet Rockers™—newer, DeFender™-specific Rocker Knockers™ or Ricochet Rockers™ are designed to match the angle of this forward edge more closely). DeFender™ Side Inserts and DeFender™ Full Length Side Plates are sold separately (must be added to your cart as a separate item), so you may choose which one best matches your needs (select one or the other, but not both).

Retains Factory Inner Fenders
Why deal with the cost or hassle of replacing your existing inner fenders? DeFenders™ are designed to work with your Jeep's OE inner fenders, saving cost as well as the hassle of removal/installation/relocation of all of your under-hood gear.

TJ Battery Lift Bracket
All TJ/LJ versions of the DeFenders™ come with a custom bracket for lifting the stock battery tray higher, to provide the extra clearance necessary for the DeFender's™larger wheel opening. This bracket is CNC laser cut brake-formed and fixture-welded for an easy, clean installation.

Accepts Hi Intensity LED Marker Lamps
Replacing your Jeep's factory fenders also removes the factory side marker light formerly mounted in the fender flare. DeFender™ are designed with provisions for mounting a smaller, more discreet but high intensity 3/4" LED Marker Lamp. These lamps are available separately through Poison Spyder Customs, and are DOT approved for automotive use.

DeFenders™ are available now for TJ/LJ, in 3" Flare, Zero Flare, and Negative Flare versions, in both aluminum and steel. YJ and CJ versions are coming soon, and look for a Hi-Line version in a few months! Matching rear DeFender Flares will be available very soon, as either a weld-on retrofit for your existing corner armor, or already welded to your next set of Poison Spyder Crusher Corners.

Click Here to see all of our DeFender series products that are available so far.

DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
DTS
Vendor

BTW, all variations of the new DeFenders are currently set at INTRODUCTORY PRICING, which is $100 off!

Unread 11-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
kashoggio

I like them, very nice

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkRed"]"Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion."[/COLOR][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2004-tj-rubicon-skittles-build-1152944/"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Lime"]MY JEEP BUILD [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=226258"]ITEMS FOR SALE [/url]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/polish-jeepers/"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]POLISH JEEPERS CLUB[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/url]
kashoggio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no yj
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also like them, but don't see a whole lot of advantages (especially at the price point) if they're retaining the factory inner fender. I'll wait for the Hi-Line version, maybe they will be more impressive.

Oh, and make some kind of mesh inserts available. Not everyone wants their rig to look like Halloween 365 days a year.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
rykerjenbob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need a wider flare version.
rykerjenbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Me Gusta. I already have my MCE flatties though.
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any thoughts on making a 4.5" flare to match stock Rubicon and Sahara fenders?
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unii View Post
no yj
YJ is coming next, followed by CJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
I also like them, but don't see a whole lot of advantages (especially at the price point) if they're retaining the factory inner fender. I'll wait for the Hi-Line version, maybe they will be more impressive.
You don't see the advantage of 3/16" steel versus .120"?

Retaining the factory inner fender is something we've given a lot of thought to. We sell a buttload of our Tube Fenders which are the same vis-a-vis the inner fender, so I think there are plenty of folks on both sides of that question. For those who have to have an replacement inner fender, we have plans to offer one at a later date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
Oh, and make some kind of mesh inserts available. Not everyone wants their rig to look like Halloween 365 days a year.
Nice jab. The spyder's not for everyone, but most of our customers seem to like it. Its just a flat plate so if you want to fab your own without a spyder, you can save the $40 and do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykerjenbob View Post
Need a wider flare version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyJeepZJ View Post
Any thoughts on making a 4.5" flare to match stock Rubicon and Sahara fenders?
We'll be listening to demand for various widths, and if there's enough demand for any specific width we'll give it some consideration. Our old school tube fenders came in 3" or 6", and the 3" out-sold the 6" about 20 to 1, so we've decided to hold off on making DeFenders of that width, at least until we see some demand for it. But 4.5's could be considered too, if there's enough demand to justify the costs.
Unread 11-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can you at least offer a side plate that is just louvered or something?

I was very excited about the DeFenders until I saw that hideous plate yesterday...and I am one that usually likes yall's cut outs. That is just hideous though
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
Can you at least offer a side plate that is just louvered or something?

I was very excited about the DeFenders until I saw that hideous plate yesterday...and I am one that usually likes yall's cut outs. That is just hideous though
I'll kick it upstairs and see what they say. I personally like the idea of a louvered one too.
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I to would rather 4.5" flares, pa laws are a B****, six is just way to wide for me
APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I mostly agree with the others on the inner fender. I would love a full replacement fender. I must say that they look killer though. Do you have any pictures of the "negative" flare installed on a vehicle? I really don't mind the spider too much but would prefer a flat panel. Hopefully by the time I am ready to do tubes on my rig you guys will offer a full fender. Or maybe if you offered it sooner I would be inclined to buy
bmosing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS
You don't see the advantage of 3/16" steel versus .120"?

Retaining the factory inner fender is something we've given a lot of thought to. We sell a buttload of our Tube Fenders which are the same vis-a-vis the inner fender, so I think there are plenty of folks on both sides of that question. For those who have to have an replacement inner fender, we have plans to offer one at a later date.

Nice jab. The spyder's not for everyone, but most of our customers seem to like it. Its just a flat plate so if you want to fab your own without a spyder, you can save the $40 and do so.
Honestly, no, I don't. I do see a disadvantage with weight though. I've never seen anyone complain that they bent their tube fender before. I don't see strength being any issue. On the contrary, I would rather bend a tube fender than have the fender stay in tact and bend the surrounding sheetmetal.

If I was in the market for flat fenders, MCE flatties are a far more attractive product to me, because I don't see $3-400 added value in your product.

I don't usually get into arguments with vendors, especially in their own threads, but l really don't care for the tone of your post. I used to be a fan of your products, but if everyone at your company has the same attitude as you, I obviously will be spending my money elsewhere. My .
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
Lawrence
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
Our old school tube fenders came in 3" or 6", and the 3" out-sold the 6" about 20 to 1, so we've decided to hold off on making DeFenders of that width, at least until we see some demand for it. But 4.5's could be considered too, if there's enough demand to justify the costs.
I second the 4.5" width... Folks like me may have settled on the 3" by default, 6" is too wide and nobody offers a 4.5" that I like.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.