OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #61
Delawdude

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I tried some no name brand that came in one of those rear view mirror installation kits for 3 bucks or something at the auto parts store; however, it worked like poopoo. I used Loctite to fix my heater cable clips and it held really well, so that's why I went back to it for the second round of the fight --- which after 5 days and about 500 bouncy miles all is well.

Good luck, your second attempt followed the exact same process I did (I held the button in place with pressure for about 90 seconds), maybe it's the product?

OA vendor --- any advice here?

Delawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #62
MileHighBuckeye
Jeeps, Dogs and Beer.

2014 JK Wrangler 

So, quick update:

I used Gorilla Glue last night, after sanding with 200 grit sand paper, and cleaning the windshield with rubbing alcohol. Went to mount the mirror this morning, and lo and behold, it stayed up just fine!!! However, now, it would appear as if the fiancee's cat decided the screw that goes into the base would be a fun toy, and it's God knows where in the house now. Luckily, it's a part that can be ordered through Chrysler for $3.60. I'm sure I could also just head over to the hardware store and find a replacement. The issues with this damn mirror have become almost comical at this point, but I'm happy to say that I think all will be well once I get the replacement screw in.

Moral of the story? Windshield adhesive kits don't seem to work great on the OA material, but your standard run of the mill Loctite or Gorilla Glue super glues seem to work great. Again, to reiterate, I'm incredibly happy with the product, and would do business with OA again!
Savegres w/ 315/70R17 Duratracs and 4.88s

'13 WK2 Overland
MileHighBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #63
Delawdude

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, glad you got it worked out.
Delawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #64
Optic-Armor
Vendor

We are glad you were able to find a solution to your review mirror issue, and thanks for ordering one of our Windshields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBuckeye View Post
So, quick update:

I used Gorilla Glue last night, after sanding with 200 grit sand paper, and cleaning the windshield with rubbing alcohol. Went to mount the mirror this morning, and lo and behold, it stayed up just fine!!! However, now, it would appear as if the fiancee's cat decided the screw that goes into the base would be a fun toy, and it's God knows where in the house now. Luckily, it's a part that can be ordered through Chrysler for $3.60. I'm sure I could also just head over to the hardware store and find a replacement. The issues with this damn mirror have become almost comical at this point, but I'm happy to say that I think all will be well once I get the replacement screw in.

Moral of the story? Windshield adhesive kits don't seem to work great on the OA material, but your standard run of the mill Loctite or Gorilla Glue super glues seem to work great. Again, to reiterate, I'm incredibly happy with the product, and would do business with OA again!
Optic-Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #65
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so is that a negative on some custom fab bolt in windows?
Unread 07-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #66
Optic-Armor
Vendor

We have the hard coated flat sheet material you need in various sizes just give us a call. 573-317-9066 Yes you can cut the window material with a jig saw or band saw, after they are trimmed they can then be drilled and bolted into position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Awesome! Would I be able (or you be able) to drill holes in the flat sheet so u can bolt the windows in? Also how can I cut the flat sheets and where can I buy the sheets and the coating?
Unread 07-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #67
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optic-Armor View Post
We have the hard coated flat sheet material you need in various sizes just give us a call. 573-317-9066 Yes you can cut the window material with a jig saw or band saw, after they are trimmed they can then be drilled and bolted into position.
Awesome .. really good news thanks my friend
Unread 07-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #68
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks for the update on gorilla glue- I need a mirror after a month!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #69
Optic-Armor
Vendor

For those that have installed our windows, we would like to know how they are performing out in the field. Please let us know.
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #70
MileHighBuckeye
Jeeps, Dogs and Beer.

2014 JK Wrangler 

Mine has been great so far. In the spirit of honesty, mine did chip about two weeks into owning it after an impact with a rock on the highway. It's an incredibly small blemish (~1/8"), and it appears that the rock just ate some material off the front of the windshield. It hasn't shown any signs of splitting or getting worse though over the last couple of months. Also, I had initially had issues securing the rear view mirror to the product with traditional rear view mirror adhesives, and had found more success with Gorilla Glue. That being said, even with the Gorilla Glue the mirror has fallen off twice on rocky, washboard roads where there's significant amounts of vibration in the cab. It also fell off while parked last week (the Jeep was in direct sunlight, it's black, and it was 98+ degrees). I'm considering trying to get a hold of something even stronger than Gorilla Glue. All in all, INCREDIBLY happy with the product. I'd buy another one again in a heartbeat. It's taken quite a few solid shots from rocks and road debris with no issue other than the first chip mentioned. My only suggestion would be that it would be great to see a product (or option) that came with the rear view mirror mounting bracket somehow incorporated into the windshield itself. If you could somehow replicate the shape of the metal tab that the mirror mounts to into the product's mold, such that the mirror would then mount directly to the product greatly reducing any chance of it becoming separated, you'd have the perfect product. Again, I'd highly recommend these windshields as a far superior product to the standard glass.
Savegres w/ 315/70R17 Duratracs and 4.88s

'13 WK2 Overland
MileHighBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #71
Optic-Armor
Vendor

In response to the problems with the rear view mirror mount, we have started drilling and countersinking the window and tapping the metal button and all windows will come with the rear mount installed from our factory. The bolt is that is used is black and blends in very well. Black silicone is also used to seal the bolt and surface behind the rear view mirror button from water coming in.
Give me a call if you would like me to send you one of these new mounts.
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBuckeye View Post
Mine has been great so far. In the spirit of honesty, mine did chip about two weeks into owning it after an impact with a rock on the highway. It's an incredibly small blemish (~1/8"), and it appears that the rock just ate some material off the front of the windshield. It hasn't shown any signs of splitting or getting worse though over the last couple of months. Also, I had initially had issues securing the rear view mirror to the product with traditional rear view mirror adhesives, and had found more success with Gorilla Glue. That being said, even with the Gorilla Glue the mirror has fallen off twice on rocky, washboard roads where there's significant amounts of vibration in the cab. It also fell off while parked last week (the Jeep was in direct sunlight, it's black, and it was 98+ degrees). I'm considering trying to get a hold of something even stronger than Gorilla Glue. All in all, INCREDIBLY happy with the product. I'd buy another one again in a heartbeat. It's taken quite a few solid shots from rocks and road debris with no issue other than the first chip mentioned. My only suggestion would be that it would be great to see a product (or option) that came with the rear view mirror mounting bracket somehow incorporated into the windshield itself. If you could somehow replicate the shape of the metal tab that the mirror mounts to into the product's mold, such that the mirror would then mount directly to the product greatly reducing any chance of it becoming separated, you'd have the perfect product. Again, I'd highly recommend these windshields as a far superior product to the standard glass.
Unread 08-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #72
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optic-Armor View Post
In response to the problems with the rear view mirror mount, we have started drilling and countersinking the window and tapping the metal button and all windows will come with the rear mount installed from our factory. The bolt is that is used is black and blends in very well. Black silicone is also used to seal the bolt and surface behind the rear view mirror button from water coming in.
Give me a call if you would like me to send you one of these new mounts.
Aaron
is that a JK specific problem? or does it happen to all of them? do all of them get drilled?
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #73
Optic-Armor
Vendor

We are doing this process to all of our Jeep windows.
Unread 09-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #74
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Do y'all have a new website I could go to, or is this all done over the phone?

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #75
Optic-Armor
Vendor

Give us a call 573-317-9066 it is the easiest way for us to make sure we have all of the correct information.

Thanks again, talk to you soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1 View Post
Do y'all have a new website I could go to, or is this all done over the phone?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.