OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #46
Jake_A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Are you guys doing anything for the xj?
This.

Granted, I work for an auto glass company, and my cost for glass is far less, but its a pain in the *** to replace my windshield almost yearly.

Idk how you guys are getting away with one tube, even on a JK we use 2-2.5 tubes.

Jks seem to be rock magnets, we do about 4 a day.

Unread 06-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #47
Optic-Armor
Vendor

We are very sorry, you might need to scuff the coating in the rear view mount area with a scotch bright pad. The coating has flowed over the rear view mirror dot and that in turn is causing the adhesion issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawdude View Post
Installed the window (twice, don't ask); overall looks great. I don't know how one tube would be enough though…I would definitely go with 2 if I had to do it again. Went through inspection with no issues (well, non concerning the windshield).

I notice the bugs clean off the OA windshield quite easily, even the ones that were splattered/baked on in the sun all day. Overall pleased with the purchase; still waiting for that first rock to tag the windshield at 60 MPH and see what happens.

On a side note --- what in the world do you use to secure a rear view mirror to its spot? I tried an install kit and the little metal button felt like it grabbed, I waited for it to dry and went to install the mirror and it just came right off removing a little of the baked primer????

Loctite Super glue was going to be next, but wanted to inquire before I proceeded.

Thanks
Optic-Armor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #48
Optic-Armor
Vendor

We are going to be making them for the XJ the tooling is not complete, we will make an announcement as soon as they are ready.

The best thing I can offer you for your half door windows would be using our various flat sheets with our hard coating applied, and trimming what you need to make your windows out of our material.

Quote:
Are you guys doing anything for the xj?

also I am making some custom half doors and top (where the old window frame use to be) will be roll cage. If I sent you a templet cut from cardboard could you make me a custome window?
Unread 06-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #49
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optic-Armor View Post
We are going to be making them for the XJ the tooling is not complete, we will make an announcement as soon as they are ready.

The best thing I can offer you for your half door windows would be using our various flat sheets with our hard coating applied, and trimming what you need to make your windows out of our material.
Flat sheet? Is that like a mar10?
Unread 06-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #50
Optic-Armor
Vendor

Our coating is a little better than MR10 and also has better chemical resistance.

Quote:
Flat sheet? Is that like a mar10?
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #51
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome! Would I be able (or you be able) to drill holes in the flat sheet so u can bolt the windows in? Also how can I cut the flat sheets and where can I buy the sheets and the coating?
Unread 06-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #52
Delawdude
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Scuffed the primer spot with 220 sandpaper, then use some Loctite brand super glue and the button stuck very well! Good to have the central rear view again
Delawdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #53
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Scuffed the primer spot with 220 sandpaper, then use some Loctite brand super glue and the button stuck very well! Good to have the central rear view again
I don't want to glue them in because I really want to keep them out unless it's cold and raining. So I want something I can put in with a few wing nuts or something.

Kinda like this pic. It just has a seal to be water tight and bolts in with 4 bolts. Nothing too crazy but does the job.

Ok .. Never mind, it won't let me add a pic
Unread 06-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #54
Delawdude
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't want to glue them in because I really want to keep them out unless it's cold and raining. So I want something I can put in with a few wing nuts or something.

Kinda like this pic. It just has a seal to be water tight and bolts in with 4 bolts. Nothing too crazy but does the job.

Ok .. Never mind, it won't let me add a pic
Not sure I understand what you are referencing here. It's one screw to remove the mirror, then you'll just have the button.
Unread 06-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #55
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not sure I understand what you are referencing here. It's one screw to remove the mirror, then you'll just have the button.
lol .. not a mirror a window. And it is bolted on to the car yes.

like this:

or to use more bolts

Unread 06-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #56
Delawdude
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Haha now I see. Thanks!
Unread 06-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #57
MileHighBuckeye
Jeeps, Dogs and Beer.

2014 JK Wrangler 

Any success with the rear view mirrors? I got my product in the mail and had a local glass shop install it for me. So far I love the product! The quality was great out of the package, the install seems to have gone well, and the clarity of the windshield is amazing. However, as soon as I went to adjust the rear view mirror it came off of the window. I'll try scuffing the primer spot and some Loctite super glue as suggested. The shop had used Loctite's rear view mirror adhesive to attach the mirror, and when the mirror came off it took a fair amount of the black primer with it on the back of the button. Not sure if that's going to cause me any issues with reattaching it. Other than the rear view mirror though, my entire experience with Optic Armor has been great, and I wouldn't hesitate at all to deal with them again in the future!
Savegres w/ 315/70R17 Duratracs and 4.88s

'13 WK2 Overland
MileHighBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #58
Delawdude
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had some come off as well after the first attempt failed. Second time I just sanded with the 220 grit, cleaned it and then stuck it on with probably more than needed amount of the Loctite super glue. I pressed on the button for 90-seconds, then let it setup for about 15 min before I attached the mirror. It's on there now!

Just be careful not to get too aggressive with the sanding. It is plastic and will show the scuff marks if you get outside of the black primer area…..

Only other thing I have noticed is the windshield flexes a bit when cruising down the road, but I'll take that if it'll not crack at the first, second, third, etc rock that hits it.

Overall pretty satisfied with it and I'd buy it again.
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #59
MileHighBuckeye
Jeeps, Dogs and Beer.

2014 JK Wrangler 

Glad you were successfull getting it attached. I tried sanding with 1000 earlier, and reapplying the button to no avail. Fell right off again. I got 220 this third time, and sanded the windshield with that instead of the 1000. Cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol, and used a razor blade on the back of the button itself to ensure all of the old adhesive was removed. Gave the button a sanding and alcohol cleaning as well. I bought Permatex's Extreme Rear View Mirror adhesive, and have reapplied the button using that. I'm going to let it sit all night, and then reattach the mirror in the morning. Hopefully the third time is a charm!

'13 WK2 Overland
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #60
MileHighBuckeye
Jeeps, Dogs and Beer.

2014 JK Wrangler 

Unfortunately, still no dice. Popped right off again this morning without the slightest hint of adhesion. May try Loctite next but I'm running out of ideas.

'13 WK2 Overland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.