Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #121
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
So how thick is Chassis saver? I know you can thin it down......I was hesitant to buy CS until I found a way to paint the INSIDE of my frame. Today I found a garden sprayer at TSC that had a 16" brass wand and a very small nozzel(about 3/8" wide!). I bought them, sold in a 2 pack, took them home and put some whole milk in one just to try something thicker than water. Once I had the spout adjusted to a mist(kinda like what comes out if a sprinkler in the produce section of Krogers) i KNEW i had found my weapon for the job! Is CS thicker than milk without using the thinner?

OH BTW-What companies carry your line of products including CS and Monsta?
CS is only as thick as Rustoleum type black enamel paint so I would say that is much thicker than milk

Regular spray guns atomize paint to a very fine mist which is why you can spray paint without it running all over the place. The atomized particles are very light weight so as they build up slowly they stay where you sprayed them.

A garden sprayer does not build up the kind of constant pressure you get from an air compressor which is needed to create these small particles..

I would test this with some regular paint before going ahead and spraying CS like this.

Here's a dealer locator for CS.
http://www.magnetpaints.com/distributors.asp

Only some dealers may carry Monstaliner at this point so let me know if you can't find it local. If the warehouse these stores buy from stocks ML, the store may be able to get it for you in just a few days.

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #122
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks for the info! So how thin do think I could make CS, using the thinner, and still get good results? I realize(and planned on) a few coats will be necessary...Ya think I can thin it down to "milk" and still get good results for the inside of the frame? Im just gonna brush the outside.
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #123
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info! So how thin do think I could make CS, using the thinner, and still get good results? I realize(and planned on) a few coats will be necessary...Ya think I can thin it down to "milk" and still get good results for the inside of the frame? Im just gonna brush the outside.
The thinner you make it the more it's going to run with your spray method so just be careful. Start with 5% reducer.

How large is the tank/bottle on these pressurized sprays you got?
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #124
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

In my experience, chassis saver is thicker than rustoleum, not so much in the can, but when you apply it, its a much tougher, thicker, durable finish. And I used rustoleum for years until I tried chassis saver I'm sold on it.

This says it all.

That and if you check the links in my sig, you will see I painted everything, including myself with it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #125
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE. I painted rustoleum rusty metal primer directly from the can inside the floor pans of one of my shells. and painted over it with rustoleum paint. After one winter under a tarp getting water inside of it. ITS RUSTY.

Never again, and I use to have success with it. shakes head. CHASSIS SAVER IS THE MOVE

still wet on my home made recovery bumper. 1 coat brushed.

If you look inside you will see the gas tank, straps and entire floor is painted with chassis saver. 1 thick coat by brush.
I'm not gentle with it. I throw tools in there. I slide the tank around I slide my diff cover in there.
Chassis saver is tough. I canot wait to monstaliner over it. I'm so happy with the product. Do not hesitate.

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #126
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think the sprayer is 1 gallon but I put a 20oz bottle of milk in it and it worked great til I got down to like 4oz. in the bottom.
Unread 05-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #127
TheDirtyGeneral

Alright, monstaliner is exploding and I'm glad to see that happening. Still waiting on your colors though lol. I just had a few questions about chassis saver since I get a free quart of it with my monsta. I'm going to be pulling a new rear axle at the local u-pull it. Would this be a good application for chassis saver (it's fairly rusted, I plan on just removing the loose rust with a light sanding and then coating), what color would you recommend?
Unread 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #128
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What every color you go with, I'd put a coat of rattle can overtop of it so the CS doesnt fade....BUT I'm no expert.
Unread 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #129
TheDirtyGeneral

Quote:
What every color you go with, I'd put a coat of rattle can overtop of it so the CS doesnt fade....BUT I'm no expert.
I know about the fading, just curious about the fillers like I know the silverish one has aluminum in it and is good for filling and smoothing out a rougher surface but Idk what would be the best option to coat a rusty axle, I planned on putting some of magnet paints own enamel over top when done.
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #130
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I painted my rear axel with chassis saver. ill get some pics of it after i put the axles back in, there are some in my threads in my sig tho

Unread 05-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #131
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyGeneral View Post
I know about the fading, just curious about the fillers like I know the silverish one has aluminum in it and is good for filling and smoothing out a rougher surface but Idk what would be the best option to coat a rusty axle, I planned on putting some of magnet paints own enamel over top when done.
I like the silver best and then just paint over that with light scuff sand first

Make sure to degrease well on axle components before coating
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #132
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did the first coat of Chassis Saver on my frame yesterday, took almost a full afternoon to brush the 1 coat. I found in some areas if I slightly thinned it I could get it to creep into the little areas..

Here are a few pics:
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I was extremely happy so far with both the ease of application and the coating itself, the plan is to do another coat and then a few coats of Tremclad Professional for the parts exposed to sun..
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #133
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Nice, I always like to thin CS even when brushing. Just makes it flow a little better and easier to spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GrayTJ View Post
Did the first coat of Chassis Saver on my frame yesterday, took almost a full afternoon to brush the 1 coat. I found in some areas if I slightly thinned it I could get it to creep into the little areas..

Here are a few pics:
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I was extremely happy so far with both the ease of application and the coating itself, the plan is to do another coat and then a few coats of Tremclad Professional for the parts exposed to sun..
Unread 06-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #134
KINGSB
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Is the Satin Black sort of like a flat black?
Unread 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #135
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSB View Post
Is the Satin Black sort of like a flat black?
No it's satin. If it was flat it would be called flat

It has a low sheen

Tags
Frame rust , frame rust paint how , monstaliner , POR 15 , por15 , rust prevention , rust proofing , rust repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.