Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #91
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hear POR 15 reeks when it is heated (a friend of my dad's used it on the grill cooking surface). It was fine otherwise though. I think tests would be cool to see how hot it can stand, and what the smell is like when it gets that hot.

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #92
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I hear POR 15 reeks when it is heated (a friend of my dad's used it on the grill cooking surface). It was fine otherwise though. I think tests would be cool to see how hot it can stand, and what the smell is like when it gets that hot.
This would be a fun test. We will do it!
Are you coming to Amityville to smell it?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #93
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to.... gonna drive 4 hours to pick me up for the weekend?

Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #94
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
No issues with heat on these surfaces. The only place that CS is not recommended is on surface of heat sources themselves like engine block and exhaust components.

Although someone told me that the silver they tested on a muffler is still holding up. Not sure how long it's been on there

Do I need to do lab tests/photos
Where's Ricky?
I wouldnt want you to have to take screen shots and tequila shots just to forget today and me

One more positive for chassis saver, as I heard rustoleum dosent do good in engine bays. Awesome, I will be washing my enginebay, and painting it with chassis saver.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #95
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
I wouldnt want you to have to take screen shots and tequila shots just to forget today and me

One more positive for chassis saver, as I heard rustoleum dosent do good in engine bays. Awesome, I will be washing my enginebay, and painting it with chassis saver.
Nah, we'll both do tequila shots when you finish that project!

What up with Rustoleum? Won't handle the heat?
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #96
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I would love to.... gonna drive 4 hours to pick me up for the weekend?

If I had somewhere to put you up it would be cool.
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #97
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You mean you don't have a futon/cot/couch in your office? With the amount of time you spend there, I just would have assumed. Well... you know what they say.................
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #98
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Nah, we'll both do tequila shots when you finish that project!

What up with Rustoleum? Won't handle the heat?
I'm one of those guys who likes the 50$ roll on paint job on like beaters and rods ect, because you know its gonna be repainted or junked ect. So I started talking to people and heard mixed reviews about rustoleum in engine bays, that it bakes off. which would make sense.

Tho in exception to thier crappy silver, thier engine paint works really well, and didnt come off my small block even at 220 degrees when I spit a belt going thru the traps at the drag strip.

I'm excited to hear about the chassis saver in the engine bay. I may have to get silver or something just to change it up a bit. long time out from touching the engine bay haha.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #99
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

OD Green Chassis Saver

Been wanting to make some samples of Chassis Saver in OD Green for a while.

Anyone have an application for this?
Unread 04-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #100
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was actually thinking about OD Green Chassis Saver today (and other colors in general). I still haven't gotten to sleep for some reason and a lot of cool stuff has been running through my mind.

One thing that comes into question with a color like OD CS would be is it going to be UV stable? If so, I can totally see it being used it an infinite number of locations for retro Jeep/military vehicle restorations.

Other such things running through my head tonight? OD lined Jeep (Tatooweeny had a sweet Jeep that I am thinking of, but with regular paint) with a nice big tan star on the door. Essentially tape off the star, roll it, cover it with tape, and roll the rest of the Jeep so that it is all level. That would look awesome and really put together a strong vehicle.

Another thing was a buggy for King of the Hammers.... but with some fancy features. The new Pentastar V6 with a RIPP supercharged (stock it makes 305hp.... ripp should be prototyping a super in July and I am hoping that means 400hp+ at the crank), twin traction beam front and rear axles with ABS and torque vectoring diffs. Steering would be a fully hydraulic apparatus that uses the magic of hydraulic's lack of compression to sync the rams. The suspension would be your standard coil-overs, but with airbags at the tops to drop the nose, rear end, or either side a few inches for those off-camber moments. This would all be totally street legal too with a removable top, door skins, and fancy electric windows (lighter than roll ups).

Ahh...... the things that run through my head
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #101
K-Bomb
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OD Green is on my list! I've been wanting to coat the underbody of the jeep in OD green, but haven't because of how much of a pain in the *** the prep would be for paint to be done right. Wouldn't really matter if it was UV stable then would it?
K-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #102
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bomb View Post
OD Green is on my list! I've been wanting to coat the underbody of the jeep in OD green, but haven't because of how much of a pain in the *** the prep would be for paint to be done right. Wouldn't really matter if it was UV stable then would it?
CS OD Green would not be UV stable and in most underbody applications other than for show cars this is not an issue

I would think that it should be made in a satin finish so if someone was restoring a mil vehicle painted flat it would not stick out like a sore thumb

What do you think?
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #103
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed about it being flat or satin. For an undercarriage resto it would be perfect, even without being UV resistant.
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #104
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Agreed about it being flat or satin. For an undercarriage resto it would be perfect, even without being UV resistant.
Only issue I'm not certain of yet is that when CS changes in sun and the black turns grayish and flattens down what you're not seeing that's also happening is that the polymer is turning yellower

In any color other than black the effect is going to also change the color of the finish.

Ex: a red would turn orange, blue to green, OD Grn to??? Baby doodie?

Silver does not change because there is so much aluminum in there it hides the polymer
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #105
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is also what I was trying to figure out. I am thinking it might turn into a sage like color with some yellow tint to it.... so I think goose crap would be a fair estimation.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.