Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK

Unread 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #391
7xes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do you think rustoleum hammered would be good as a top coat for cs?

7xes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #392
ekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
We begin work this month on a salt removal product to treat surfaces with before painting. Will have photos of what we do with/without treatment. More info to be posted as we move forward. Stay tuned...

Any news on this?

After this winter I have a lot rust rehabilitation to do and I don't want to seal in salts if doing so wound be bad....
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2015, 11:56 PM   #393
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

We're still working on this.

OMNIMAN or whoever posted yesterday with pics.. where did your post go?
That was some good info.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #394
ekim

Quote:
We're still working on this.

OMNIMAN or whoever posted yesterday with pics.. where did your post go?
That was some good info.

The pics of the shocks coated with woodworking poly and flash rust?

That was me. I can put them back, Since that stuff is so different from the Chassis Saver, I didn't want to cause confusion. When I did the test and posted the results I thought it was basically just a clear version of a similar formula....
Unread 03-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #395
ekim

Here's another question related to rust and salts that may still be on the metal.

My understanding is that the silver Chassis Saver is supposed to encapsulate better due the the aluminum flakes in the paint. If the surface is cleaned as much as possible (scrub , power wash, wire brush) does the silver Chassis Saver significantly improve the chances of keeping the rust at bay?

If no moisture or air can get to the salt, won't that stop it from further damage?
Unread 04-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #396
ekim

Fiberglass Cloth???

What about using fiberglass cloth with Chassis Saver? For example two coats of CS followed by a couple of coats of CS with glass. This is for an oil pan - that cannot be removed without also removing the engine. The glass is for piece of mind because the rust is pretty bad in the corner and I'm afraid of pinholes or even a coin sized weak area. When I push on the worst spot I can hear a little "crunch".....

Here's the corner where the glass would go:

[EDIT]
It looks like POR15 claims that fiberglass can be used and I've seen at least one person document using it with success. They suggested carefully soaking the glass and then applying it vs trying to wet it out in place. They also gave the impression that the the paint was not that tacky (like a boat epoxy for example). Given that, I wonder if it it's tacky enough to hold up the wet out glass?

If it may not be tacky enough then what are my options for some kind of release agent (that can be scuffed at panted over). For example would wax paper work where I get everything applied in just the smallish area to be re-enforced and then apply wax paper (or other release material) and tape it to hold it in place / prevent sagging.
[/EDIT]
Unread 04-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #397
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm still thinking about this
Unread 04-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #398
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Fiberglass cloth and Chassis Saver works well for some things but I'm not sure how long it would last for what you describe.

Look here
http://www.aremco.com/high-temp-restoration-products/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
What about using fiberglass cloth with Chassis Saver? For example two coats of CS followed by a couple of coats of CS with glass. This is for an oil pan - that cannot be removed without also removing the engine. The glass is for piece of mind because the rust is pretty bad in the corner and I'm afraid of pinholes or even a coin sized weak area. When I push on the worst spot I can hear a little "crunch".....

Here's the corner where the glass would go:

[EDIT]
It looks like POR15 claims that fiberglass can be used and I've seen at least one person document using it with success. They suggested carefully soaking the glass and then applying it vs trying to wet it out in place. They also gave the impression that the the paint was not that tacky (like a boat epoxy for example). Given that, I wonder if it it's tacky enough to hold up the wet out glass?

If it may not be tacky enough then what are my options for some kind of release agent (that can be scuffed at panted over). For example would wax paper work where I get everything applied in just the smallish area to be re-enforced and then apply wax paper (or other release material) and tape it to hold it in place / prevent sagging.
[/EDIT]
Unread 04-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #399
ekim

Thanks!!,

Should I be looking at the epoxies (Aremco-Bond ~400 degrees), or the single stage higher temp stuff (Corr-Paint ~1400 degrees).

I would think for an oil pain 400 degrees should be more than enough.

Is it the oil pan temp that's an issue for CS?

[edit]
I did some more reading. Given my limited knowledge, I would go for the CP2070 Epoxy. Its got a continious duty rating of 300 degrees F and has a higher viscosity(800-1000) than Urethane based version in the 20xxx series(200-500). I suspect this will make it stay on the bottom sides a little better and have more tackiness for the glass.

Sorry to be asking about a product that not yours.... I did already buy some CS and still intend to use it on a frame job - so you're still helping out a customer..

Better yet - can i use the CS with no glass for not to at less stop the progression of rust asap and then figure out what I want to do with fiberglass later? for the areas I want to glass I can just abrade the CS and apply whatever product I end up with. Should that plan work ok?

As far as I know the CS is good for temps up to 400 degrees right?

[/edit]
Unread 04-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #400
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

If I were you I would call Aremco and tell them what you are doing. Let them recommend a product.
Your main concern is the weak spot you found and I think maybe a metal filled epoxy putty to reinforce that spot would be best.

Epoxy will have far better adhesion than any urethane.

CS is not considered a high heat product for continuous or long term heat exposure. You want to do this right without inventing some technique and hope it stays put.
Unread 04-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #401
ekim

Quote:
If I were you I would call Aremco and tell them what you are doing. Let them recommend a product.
Your main concern is the weak spot you found and I think maybe a metal filled epoxy putty to reinforce that spot would be best.

Epoxy will have far better adhesion than any urethane.

CS is not considered a high heat product for continuous or long term heat exposure. You want to do this right without inventing some technique and hope it stays put.
I'll call them first thing Monday. Thanks for helping me out.

Tags
Frame rust , frame rust paint how , monstaliner , POR 15 , por15 , rust prevention , rust proofing , rust repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.