Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #331
ronni3
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a quart of the silver aluminum a fews months back along with two gallons of Monstaliner. I have yet to apply it to my XJ.

Anyways I'd like to get Chassis Saver placed on my XJ possibly this weekend or the next and since I do not have a compressor nor a garage to do this work I will be forced to do it out in the open on a side street. I've read all 22 pages and the first mentions how you used something called Spra-Tool effectively to apply Chassis Saver. What consistency does Chassis Saver need to be in order for this to work? How much of the S8 Reducer do I need to mix with Chassis Saver in order to be able to use Spra-Tool and will this even work with Silver Aluminum? Is Silver Aluminum more of a base coat than a top coat or can it be used on the undercarriage effectively?

Also I heard mention hear a few times about using an epoxy sealer or something similar. Is this really required? All the help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If I should get another quart in Satin Black and that is your recommendation then so be it I guess I'll have another order but before so I'd like to make sure that the Spra-Tool can be used to apply it.

ronni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #332
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Questions to be answered tonight
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #333
ronni3
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Answer???
ronni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #334
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotag View Post
Gloss Black was used on the TJ and the Pickup was Satin Black. Each had 2 coats.

I think in the future I am going with the silver for any future applications.
Sorry for the delay in getting back here. You can always scuff up those spots and brush 2 more thin coats just in those areas.
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #335
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WK98TJ View Post
I have a few questions for ya

Would 1 quart of CS be enough to paint 2 layers on the outside of a frame on a TJ?

And would 2 layers be enough to withstand rocks and debris flying up from the tires or would a few coats of rust-o-leum professional enamel be recommended?

Can herculiner be applied over CS after it has cured?

Thanks a bunch
Sorry again

1 quart should do it for 2 coats. Adding something like Rustoleum over top will not do much to improve chip resistance but it will stay looking fresher than CS if anything is exposed to UV

Yes on the Herc or any other coating, Rustoleum, Monstaliner, automotive paint, etc you just need to follow 1 rule: If CS is dry more than 24 hrs just scuff sand with 220 grit to knock off the gloss before topcoating. CS can be recoated with itself or any other coating without scuffing between 6 and 24 hrs.
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #336
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronni3 View Post
I bought a quart of the silver aluminum a fews months back along with two gallons of Monstaliner. I have yet to apply it to my XJ.

Anyways I'd like to get Chassis Saver placed on my XJ possibly this weekend or the next and since I do not have a compressor nor a garage to do this work I will be forced to do it out in the open on a side street. I've read all 22 pages and the first mentions how you used something called Spra-Tool effectively to apply Chassis Saver. What consistency does Chassis Saver need to be in order for this to work? How much of the S8 Reducer do I need to mix with Chassis Saver in order to be able to use Spra-Tool and will this even work with Silver Aluminum? Is Silver Aluminum more of a base coat than a top coat or can it be used on the undercarriage effectively?

Also I heard mention hear a few times about using an epoxy sealer or something similar. Is this really required? All the help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If I should get another quart in Satin Black and that is your recommendation then so be it I guess I'll have another order but before so I'd like to make sure that the Spra-Tool can be used to apply it.
Good questions: Silver can be used as a stand alone finish (if you like the look) without topcoating because it does not change very much when exposed to UV. Some people use it as a base coat under gloss black or satin CS and also under regular paint.

I suspect that you may get a little clogging when spraying silver through the spra-tool but I'm not positive. You could try it easily by mixing just 4 oz silver cs with 1/2 oz reducer and pour it through a fine cone strainer. This will remove the largest particles of aluminum and likely the ones that would clog the spray tip. I guess you understand that the pressure of the spra-tool is nothing like a compressor which would never clog a regular spray setup.

Rule of reducing CS is 7 to 15% reduction.

Epoxy primer offers the best adhesion to any surface over other paints and primers. If you had new/bare/clean smooth steel and you did not want to blast or abrade the surface epoxy primer will stick where CS would not. EP primer is the fail safe method to stay out of trouble
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #337
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I slapped some CS on the lower 1/4 panels of my XJ the other day!
I made a mess in my driveway, but overall had a ton of fun doing it, and it looks good to boot!
Will be rolling on some Monstaliner at some point this week over it though.
I love working with this stuff so far!
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #338
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DullesJeep View Post
I slapped some CS on the lower 1/4 panels of my XJ the other day!
I made a mess in my driveway, but overall had a ton of fun doing it, and it looks good to boot!
Will be rolling on some Monstaliner at some point this week over it though.
I love working with this stuff so far!
Post pics or it didn't happen!
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #339
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Post pics or it didn't happen!
I tried! It won't let me use the img tag. But here's a link!
http://i43.tinypic.com/25p664k.jpg

I know the paint lines look like hell, but I didn't have painters tape.
I made it work (with electrical tape ). Plus I figure since I'm using that as just a base coat/primer, I can always cover up any of the overpaint.
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #340
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DullesJeep View Post
I tried! It won't let me use the img tag. But here's a link!
http://i43.tinypic.com/25p664k.jpg

I know the paint lines look like hell, but I didn't have painters tape.
I made it work (with electrical tape ). Plus I figure since I'm using that as just a base coat/primer, I can always cover up any of the overpaint.
That doesn't look bad. Love to see it when complete
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #341
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used Chassis Saver last August on the frame for my TJ, and I must say after only half a year (the majority of that being winter mind you) it looks like I am going to have to repaint most of it . Magnet, if you have any advice as to what I may have done wrong I'd appreciate it.

I started off with a knotted cup and knocked off all the loose rust as per the instructions. For the areas that still had the factory coating/bare metal I used 60 Alum. Oxide and an orbital. Here's what it looked like before..

after-ish, I cleaned out all the loose scale. I even went through with a an air chisel/hammed and cleaned everything out.

First coat I layed down with a brush, only used a VERY little bit of Xylene (whichever it calls for) to help get it into all the tight spots. I must admit, it was one of the coolest products as far as application. For the second coat, I thinned it a bit and sprayed it, again making sure to get it everywhere.

before topcoat

and after, I used 2 coats of Plastikote Epoxy Chassis and Rollbar paint.

I thought it turned out pretty well, I had the Jeep on the road by winter so it was a perfect time to test out the paint job. As the winter went on, I could see the common areas starting to "leak" rust a bit. I tried to keep it washed as often as possible the get the salt and sand off, even tho Chassis Saver is supposed to be deal with that stuff. Either way, only about half a year later my frame is starting to look like ****. I was hoping that this paint would handle the harsh climate I live in (almost too good to be true), but I wouldn't mind it lasting a bit longer at least. It seemed at the beginning it help up pretty well, and covered very well.

Here's what I'm left with now..

Unread 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #342
CountryBoysZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Waitin for an answer for the above. I'm also curious as to what went wrong. I want to spray Valspar Rust Armor Flat black over the CS, possibly rust preventing primer over, then the Rust Armor. Curious as to how that added protection would react with the CS.
CountryBoysZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #343
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoysZJ View Post
Waitin for an answer for the above. I'm also curious as to what went wrong. I want to spray Valspar Rust Armor Flat black over the CS, possibly rust preventing primer over, then the Rust Armor. Curious as to how that added protection would react with the CS.
I am keen as well. As far as I'm concerned, Chassis Saver is useless as a rust preventative if it only lasts a couple months . I have a feeling there's going to be an argument that it wasn't thick enough or something like that, I did 2 very well covered coats plus 2 coats of topcoat

Unfortunately I have wasted my time with this product (I have another sealed quart I was going to keep for something else) and I should have known something too good to be true likely is. Should have gone with the tried and true method using a rust neutralizer and then appropriate topcoat

I am frustrated to say the least that all my hard work has to be redone (this time without having the luxury of the tub off), I would have been happy to see the paint last at least a year. Oh well, lesson learned I guess..
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #344
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm I wonder if there was a reaction to the Plastikote/Paint/chassis Saver? I'd really like to know too as I've had CS on my rig for a while now and I checked mine too....nada. Salt Additive maybe? Will be watching this thread
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #345
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Here are some pix of my truck bumpers coated with cs then top coated with rustoleum semi gloss black for now but once I'm done modding the bumpers and truck body the bumpers and body will all be coated with monstashades

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.