Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 02-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #301
JPetru82

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I guess from reading all this, I'm a little confused on where to apply it. some people are talking about in the tub, some people mention the frame. I don't know.

JPetru82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #302
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepican View Post
can't you just scuff bare metal really good and apply the CS?
I've actually tried that method in the past without good results. Sandblasting is the required "profile" for bare clean metal. I tried 60 grit d/a sanding and I was not happy with the adheasion. I need a more fool proof method
inovermyhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #303
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPetru82 View Post
I guess from reading all this, I'm a little confused on where to apply it. some people are talking about in the tub, some people mention the frame. I don't know.
It can be applied to anything you would like to prevent and or stop rust. The application instructions are very specific and must be adheared to by the letter for the product to work properly though.
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #304
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inovermyhead2 View Post
I've actually tried that method in the past without good results. Sandblasting is the required "profile" for bare clean metal. I tried 60 grit d/a sanding and I was not happy with the adheasion. I need a more fool proof method
Hmmmmm well that puts a kink in my plans I was going to CS the entire tub. Under and inside i dont think will be an issue, Its got enough rust and existing paint to adhere to. But The outside is minimal rust and i have patch panels that are bare metal. I do not have an air compressor and wasn't planning on a show quality paint job. I am using Gillespie Rattlecan. I just wanted to use the CS as my primer to prevent any future rust. I dont want to waste time and money that will just flake off. Any thoughts? (And please don't give me the "just buy an air compressor and epoxy prime" crap.....) Its a utility vehicle that will get scratched.

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #305
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Hmmmmm well that puts a kink in my plans I was going to CS the entire tub. Under and inside i dont think will be an issue, Its got enough rust and existing paint to adhere to. But The outside is minimal rust and i have patch panels that are bare metal. I do not have an air compressor and wasn't planning on a show quality paint job. I am using Gillespie Rattlecan. I just wanted to use the CS as my primer to prevent any future rust. I dont want to waste time and money that will just flake off. Any thoughts? (And please don't give me the "just buy an air compressor and epoxy prime" crap.....) Its a utility vehicle that will get scratched.
I actually posted a thread of my experience about a month ago on the cj forum. Do a search for chassis saver and it will come up. I documented my findings doing exactly what you are looking to do. I am waiting for a response to my question from magnetman before I do something stupid.
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #306
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Just ordered your monstaliner/chassis saver combo promo last night and I have a couple of questions. If I have bare metal sand throughs in my tub, how should those areas be treated? Epoxy primer? Spray can primer? 1 or 2k self etch primer? Also, how long is the window after application of the chassis saver to apply the monstaliner without having to scuff sand the chassis saver and apply directly? BTW, sorry about last night, I think you got a raw deal. I tried to go to bat for you but some people are just ignorant. Joe
Hey magnetman, where's the love? Too much tequilla last night. lol
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #307
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I actually posted a thread of my experience about a month ago on the cj forum. Do a search for chassis saver and it will come up. I documented my findings doing exactly what you are looking to do. I am waiting for a response to my question from magnetman before I do something stupid.
here is the link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ch...saver-1314067/
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #308
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

If the sand throughs are just spots where the sanding cut through on the high spots you can CS over them and then ML. Large bare metal areas would either need 60 grit or coarser before CS direct to metal or 2K epoxy instead of CS.
[[[I am never approving any 1K self etch primer again for anything and I would only approve 2K etch is I test it myself. I never liked the clear 2K etch but the old pigmented ones I remember were good. Epoxy primer is still best]]]

24 hour recoat window to coat over CS or 180 - 220 scuffing should be done

No issues with last night, thanks. Seems to have turned out OK. I was in my office and lab for all that then at the bar afterwards

Quote:
Just ordered your monstaliner/chassis saver combo promo last night and I have a couple of questions. If I have bare metal sand throughs in my tub, how should those areas be treated? Epoxy primer? Spray can primer? 1 or 2k self etch primer? Also, how long is the window after application of the chassis saver to apply the monstaliner without having to scuff sand the chassis saver and apply directly? BTW, sorry about last night, I think you got a raw deal. I tried to go to bat for you but some people are just ignorant. Joe
Quote:
Hey magnetman, where's the love? Too much tequilla last night. lol
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #309
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Seriously, buy epoxy primer and roll it. Is the final finish going to be Monstaliner?
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #310
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPetru82 View Post
Are you still confused? CS is primarily used over tight rust where loose stuff is wire brushed to remove. Best primer for bare clean metal will still be 2K epoxy.

Many people still use CS on bare metal if they are able to coarse scuff first.
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #311
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm outa here for rest of day
Anyone needs emergency advice call my cell at bottom of promo details page

PS: Emergency is if you working right now and need definitive answer.
Be back tonight for Q/A

Unread 02-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #312
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

magnetman, Will chassis saver adhere to seam sealer?
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #313
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
magnetman, Will chassis saver adhere to seam sealer?
Yes just scuff the surface of the sealer and solvent clean
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #314
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Yes just scuff the surface of the sealer and solvent clean
Thanks for the quick reply!
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #315
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

So any plans for a 2 for 1 during Tax season?

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.