Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #226
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

New Thread Has Been Created

See it here
Magnet Paints - MAGNATILE™ Epoxy Garage & Industrial Floor Coatings Clinic Now Open

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #227
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'm so excited. I'm going to SPRAY some chqassis saver this weekend. got the plates on the uniframe almost done, should be done tonight, which leaves way for grinding of the areas unpainted under the front half, and spraying!!!!!

I'm excited. So excited. Going to buy some new guns just for this today. Plan is to get to spraying everything i can thats unpainted on the underside, and then start work on cleaning up the front dif, so i can get this puppy rolling again, and go under it and reallly get that second coat, and spray in the hard to reach areas.

gotta love harbor frieght for having cheap paint guns, and Eric being AMAZING, to make this all possible while I'm out of work.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #228
TheDirtyGeneral

Alright, I got a used Warn winch plate. It was pretty rusty so I spent half the day chipping off all the loose rust and anywhere the paint could come especially around areas of rust to make sure it didnt spread underneath the areas the were still painted. If I coat this in CHASSIS SAVER will I need to remove the rest of the paint? should I only coat the rusty areas and try to avoid the paint, or is it safe to scuff up the paint and chassis saver right over the whole thing?
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #229
55willystruck

I just did the same to a pair of M416 trailers, frames, fenders, etc. Removed all the loose stuff then scuffed if you will with the grinder and flapper or black fiberous pad thing. Had bare metal in places, rust in places and paint in places. Coated over everything with Chassis Saver and it seemed to work great. Did two solid coats over everything and it looked GREAT when done. Much better than expected. I figured if it didn't come off with the grinder easily or without too much trouble, then it wasn't worth messing with and the chassis saver would take care of the rest. Once coated with Monsta over that, can't even tell-looks great overall.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #230
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyGeneral View Post
Alright, I got a used Warn winch plate. It was pretty rusty so I spent half the day chipping off all the loose rust and anywhere the paint could come especially around areas of rust to make sure it didnt spread underneath the areas the were still painted. If I coat this in CHASSIS SAVER will I need to remove the rest of the paint? should I only coat the rusty areas and try to avoid the paint, or is it safe to scuff up the paint and chassis saver right over the whole thing?
willystruck is right, just paint it all. Technically, Chassis Saver is only as strong as it's bond to the surface beneath but if the remaining existing paint is sound you should be fine just to coat. If there was some rust starting under existing paint it could bleed through in small spots in the future but you can touch it up then.

Only other way here would be to blast it all clean before CS
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #231
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
I'm so excited. I'm going to SPRAY some chqassis saver this weekend. got the plates on the uniframe almost done, should be done tonight, which leaves way for grinding of the areas unpainted under the front half, and spraying!!!!!

I'm excited. So excited. Going to buy some new guns just for this today. Plan is to get to spraying everything i can thats unpainted on the underside, and then start work on cleaning up the front dif, so i can get this puppy rolling again, and go under it and reallly get that second coat, and spray in the hard to reach areas.

gotta love harbor frieght for having cheap paint guns, and Eric being AMAZING, to make this all possible while I'm out of work.
Glad to help but I think you're more happy because summer's passing and you want snow. I'm with you on that. Getting to hate the heat more each year.
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #232
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Glad to help but I think you're more happy because summer's passing and you want snow. I'm with you on that. Getting to hate the heat more each year.
hi five, but im really actually stoked for spraying it. I got the guns today. gonna go down in a couple hours and get some spraying done, and I'll take a bunch of pictures again. I've been putting that folder together as I go, I think i have about 85% of the pictures still in full size in the folder.

alot more to come, the completion pics are the most important, when its outside and i can roll around under it taking shots ect.

Unread 08-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #233
TheDirtyGeneral

Quote:
willystruck is right, just paint it all. Technically, Chassis Saver is only as strong as it's bond to the surface beneath but if the remaining existing paint is sound you should be fine just to coat. If there was some rust starting under existing paint it could bleed through in small spots in the future but you can touch it up then.

Only other way here would be to blast it all clean before CS
I decided that it would only take me a few more hours to grind it all down with my dremel and a few grinding stones, so I'm leaving it how it is for now and when I have the chassis saver in my hand (ordering when my mother gets home, she wants to buy it for my birthday) then I'll go ahead and finish grinding it down, prepe the inside of my jeep for the monstaliner and prep my CJ7 tailgate and then crack open the chassis saver and try to tackle all the projects at once!
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #234
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyGeneral View Post
I decided that it would only take me a few more hours to grind it all down with my dremel and a few grinding stones, so I'm leaving it how it is for now and when I have the chassis saver in my hand (ordering when my mother gets home, she wants to buy it for my birthday) then I'll go ahead and finish grinding it down, prepe the inside of my jeep for the monstaliner and prep my CJ7 tailgate and then crack open the chassis saver and try to tackle all the projects at once!
Well I have no Monsta wearing a party hat but Happy Birthday to you anyhow!
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #235
TheDirtyGeneral

Quote:
Well I have no Monsta wearing a party hat but Happy Birthday to you anyhow!
Thanks Bud Glad to finally have some time off so I can work on my Jeep lol
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #236
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

so what should i coat my diffs with as a top coat over the black chassis saver so it dosent fade, got a recommended paint? perferably in a rattle can, but I can prolly make due with my detail gun

Unread 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #237
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

1 of two I would suggest.

Rustoleum Oil Based Black in the sheen of your choice or
Rustoleum hammered spraycan
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #238
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
so what should i coat my diffs with as a top coat over the black chassis saver so it dosent fade, got a recommended paint? perferably in a rattle can, but I can prolly make due with my detail gun
Yes and spray can stuff or if you want to load up the gun, any black enamel in a quart with a little reducer most likely min spirits paint thinner
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #239
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

anything that looks like i missed spots is reflection. This stuff sprays awesome. I wish I sprayed it all lol. Took like no time. I did both the arches, with a really nice covering coat, and the suspension mounts in the front and all that jazz underneath, with like 10oz of mixed paint, thinner 10% with s8.

Unread 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #240
TheDirtyGeneral

Alright, here's where I started on the winch plate... stuff is nasty, shortly after this picture was taken I took out the grinding wheel and flap wheel and had at it and right now everywhere the paint was loose bubbling or within 1/4 in of rust has been taken down to bare metal will post more pics after its chassis savered tmw or friday

Tags
Frame rust , frame rust paint how , monstaliner , POR 15 , por15 , rust prevention , rust proofing , rust repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.