Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #151
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What is MEK? and where do i find it at? What else can I use to clean the frame after I've sanded it? Acetone? Paint thinner? Turpentine? Mineral Spirits?

Will the foam paint brushes work to apply CS? What about polyester brushes? The can says use nylon brushes but I cant find any brushes with nylon bristles....

Also can I use a roller to apply CS to the bottom of my Tub? It would make it alot quicker to do....

Unread 06-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #152
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
What is MEK? and where do i find it at? What else can I use to clean the frame after I've sanded it? Acetone? Paint thinner? Turpentine? Mineral Spirits?

Will the foam paint brushes work to apply CS? What about polyester brushes? The can says use nylon brushes but I cant find any brushes with nylon bristles....

Also can I use a roller to apply CS to the bottom of my Tub? It would make it alot quicker to do....
Methyl Ethyl Ketone is a solvent. In the paint dept of every Home Depot and Lowes

Acetone works, No turps
Min Spirits can be used to wipe surfaces but just let it evaporate 1 hour before putting CS on surface. Xylol also works and is available where MEK is sold usually. NEVER USE LACQUER THINNER anywhere near Chassis Saver. It can have alcohols in it and make CS not cure correctly.

Foam brushes work, polyester is good also, forget nylon that's old info

You can roll if you go very slow not to make bubbles and must use a very low nap roller. Foam rollers work well
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #153
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Are you able to just paint right over the rust right?

Obviously after just knocking off the heavy loose but leaving the rest? does it convert it?

What i plan on doing is wire brushing most of the rust i might have painting it with the Chassis saver including axles and spring perches,

undercoat the jeep with the Chassis saver.

Problem is i already have some 3m undercoating spray on there should i try and get that off? or clean it super well and paint over it.

i found this one time pulling up my carpet dry it out damn rain. so trying to be as proactive as possible
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #154
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Foam brushes work, polyester is good also, forget nylon that's old info
foam brushes work for a bit, but then they dissolve and start flaking. I had that problem and went through 18 brushes to do 2 coats. After a while the brush starts leaving chunks behind, so u need to change often, which is a bit of a waste of CS.
ApolloXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #155
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

wire wheel that rust to get all the bulk off then hit the entire area that you wire wheeled with 50 grit sandpaper and make it really good and rough, then paint chassis saver over it and you will be happy.

You dont want to just wire wheel because it actually plishes the steel and hurts adhesion.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #156
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloXIII View Post
foam brushes work for a bit, but then they dissolve and start flaking. I had that problem and went through 18 brushes to do 2 coats. After a while the brush starts leaving chunks behind, so u need to change often, which is a bit of a waste of CS.
That's interesting because we have been using foam brushes for years with no issues. There may be some bad foam brushes out there that get attacked by the solvent.

Any cheap regular paint brush works. If you have the white/beige bristle stuff called "chip brushes" just work the bristles before use to get the loose ones to come out so they don't get into the finish
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #157
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OK I'm DONE with the sanding and cleaning. going to use MEK to do a final solvent clean then brush CS on. How long should I wait to paint after rubbing the MEK on? Obviously I want to let it evaporate but how long? Its says to wait 1hr for Acetone on the can and MEK is slower to evap than acetone.....HELP!
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #158
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
OK I'm DONE with the sanding and cleaning. going to use MEK to do a final solvent clean then brush CS on. How long should I wait to paint after rubbing the MEK on? Obviously I want to let it evaporate but how long? Its says to wait 1hr for Acetone on the can and MEK is slower to evap than acetone.....HELP!
MEK will be gone before you can open the can of Chassis Saver. Don't worry they are all compatible anyway.

FYI: Acetone would be gone before you could take 3 breaths
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #159
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

LOL...ok that's what I wanted to know. Thanks man. IF my garden sprayer idea works I'll post up a pic or two of it. Mabey a video if I can figure out how to do that Later man
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #160
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

2000GrayTJ

How much CS do you estimate it took to do 2 coats on this whole frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GrayTJ View Post
Did the first coat of Chassis Saver on my frame yesterday, took almost a full afternoon to brush the 1 coat. I found in some areas if I slightly thinned it I could get it to creep into the little areas..

Here are a few pics:
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I was extremely happy so far with both the ease of application and the coating itself, the plan is to do another coat and then a few coats of Tremclad Professional for the parts exposed to sun..
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #161
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2000GrayTJ

probably around 3/4's of a quart. I brushed the first coat and sprayed the second, a little paint seemed to go a very long way . When I bought it, the sales guy said I would need 2 I'm glad I got the second one though..

great product so far, in total I have 2 coats of CS and 1 topcoat
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #162
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GrayTJ View Post
probably around 3/4's of a quart. I brushed the first coat and sprayed the second, a little paint seemed to go a very long way . When I bought it, the sales guy said I would need 2 I'm glad I got the second one though..

great product so far, in total I have 2 coats of CS and 1 topcoat
Thanks!
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #163
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2000GrayTJ

I know this isnt directed at me, but ill give you some more examples

I used all but 3/4 of a quart from a gallon kit. This is 2 coats inside and out on the frame. The first inside frame coat was sprayed out of a pesticide sprayer, really inneficient btw. the second was with a sponge. The interior of the frame was a really wasteful process. lots poured out of the ends and holes.

Overall chassis saver goes on real well.

It does take a long time to paint tho. and buy at least 24 foam brushes at lowes for 4 bucks a 6 pack. I had to go through them real quick. dont know about more expensive foam brushes
ApolloXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #164
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloXIII View Post
I know this isnt directed at me, but ill give you some more examples

I used all but 3/4 of a quart from a gallon kit. This is 2 coats inside and out on the frame. The first inside frame coat was sprayed out of a pesticide sprayer, really inneficient btw. the second was with a sponge. The interior of the frame was a really wasteful process. lots poured out of the ends and holes.

Overall chassis saver goes on real well.

It does take a long time to paint tho. and buy at least 24 foam brushes at lowes for 4 bucks a 6 pack. I had to go through them real quick. dont know about more expensive foam brushes
I was going to coat the inside with CS but as mentioned above, its very wasteful, that **** is liquid gold. Instead I am going to borrow a waxoyl sprayer from work and do the inside with that. Even though it brushed on awesome I would still recommend spraying it to get into all the little spots.

I'll post pics of the finished product w/ topcoat when I have the chance.

cheers
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #165
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I got the second coat of CS on the outside of the frame today. With 2 full thin coats on the frame I have only used a little more than a quart. And only 3 paint brushes . One 3" wide and two 1" wide detail brushes. Im gonna try the garden sprayer with my own personal twist to it in the morning. I really hope that it works.

BTW-I didnt have any Glad Wrap to cover the top of the can with before replacing the lid. I did use wax papaer and it seems to be working ok so far.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.