Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Thread

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #136
TESmith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

For the underside of my YJ, certainly needs paint or undercoating, I am thinking CS sounds like a good choice.

Would it be good prep to pressure wash the undersides, brush off any remaining loose remnants, pressure wash again, let dry, then go to town starting to paint?

If not, what is the best means of prep for the CS, I am not removing tub/body just working from underneath.

Unread 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #137
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Earlier in the thread it states to scuff factory paint(on the frame) with 120 grit sandpaper) before you apply CS.

Hey I just ordered a gallon of CS in black with a quart of reducer off the ebay page last night (sunday). IS there any chance you can get it to me ASAP? I'm gonna try and swap my frame next week and want to have the frame "Saved" and ready to go by monday.....The order was for Lock in WV.
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #138
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESmith View Post
For the underside of my YJ, certainly needs paint or undercoating, I am thinking CS sounds like a good choice.

Would it be good prep to pressure wash the undersides, brush off any remaining loose remnants, pressure wash again, let dry, then go to town starting to paint?

If not, what is the best means of prep for the CS, I am not removing tub/body just working from underneath.
Pressure wash and make sure you don't have any glossy areas of old paint or smooth bare metal. Light scuffing is best if you can on paint. Coarse sand on bare metal
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #139
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Magnetman,

Im finally ready to coat my frame with chassis saver... quick question for you....

I have a couple cans of MEK I am going to use to wipe down all of the surfaces I'm going to paint. I do not however have any Xylene laying around (thought I did) to do a solvent float to save the chassis saver for a another project in a couple weeks. Can I use MEK for the solvent float instead?? Thanks!

Previous Jeeps:
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #140
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19OlllllllO41 View Post
Magnetman,

Im finally ready to coat my frame with chassis saver... quick question for you....

I have a couple cans of MEK I am going to use to wipe down all of the surfaces I'm going to paint. I do not however have any Xylene laying around (thought I did) to do a solvent float to save the chassis saver for a another project in a couple weeks. Can I use MEK for the solvent float instead?? Thanks!
MEK is fine to use
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #141
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

youll be happier with MEK. It cleans the brushes really good and cleans everything really nicely.

UPDATE on chassis saver, ive been beating the hell out of the chassis saver in the back of my jeep, because im lining over it anyways, so i wanted to give the proper feedback.

I've dragged tools across it thrown tools into it, dragged a tank around and steel around as I worked on stuff. I have managed to scratch the chassis saver finally, but only on the surface. there are no places where it looks like more than a white line , such as marring. Nothing goes thru to the metal under it.

this stuff is tougher than appliance paint BY FAR.

I've never seen paint stick this good, and my prep work was good, but i did not sand blast so it could have been better prep work. So im sooo impressed.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #142
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Been wanting to make some samples of Chassis Saver in OD Green for a while.

Anyone have an application for this?
If I knew this sooner!

Im painting with the monstaliner OD inside and rustoleum OD on the outside! maybe next summer?
ApolloXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #143
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloXIII View Post
If I knew this sooner!

Im painting with the monstaliner OD inside and rustoleum OD on the outside! maybe next summer?
Rustoleum ODG on the frame?
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #144
79CJ350
1979 CJ7 

Could you just tape up all the holes, put some inside the frame and drive around to coat the inside? Or should I use some thing else for the inside of the frame?
79CJ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #145
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Rustoleum ODG on the frame?
No, on the outside body. But I found out rustoleum doesn't make OD so I'm gonna use ordanance products OD green shade 8 I think. It's their enamel.
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #146
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CJ350 View Post
Could you just tape up all the holes, put some inside the frame and drive around to coat the inside? Or should I use some thing else for the inside of the frame?
Just coated 99% of the inside of my frame.
Tape all of the holes, except one at the top frame side, closest to the front and one closest to the back, you will be pouring paint into these.
Buy a car washing sponge, that's inside of a microfiber cover or something, should be fuzzy but shouldnt fall apart. A regular car wash sponge will not work! Run nylon rope through the frame and back to where you started. Tie said sponge around the middle with the rope. You will need to shove it into the frame and be able to move it back and forth, so trimming of the inside sponge may be necessary, but do not leave any exposed sponge! Shove it inside of the frame from the back. Move it until the sponge is visible through the rearmost top frame hole. Pour some chassis saver in front of the sponge, pull it through a bit and there should be a groove in themiddle of the sponge where you tied it, pour some more in there, then pull the sponge all the way through to the front. Be sure to catch the excess CS pouring out of the front and recycle it. Then do the same thing with the frontmost hole at the top of the frame, and pull the sponge through again.
I did this 4 times. 6 would be better. Let it dry, longer than usual, I would say a good 8 hours, after the first 4 untape the holes.
Then repeat this after 8 hours for best results. I only did this once because I didn't figure out how to do this the right way the first time.

I used about half a quart per side, its messy and wasteful, but it sure coats the inside of a rusty frame well!

As far as prep work.
Pressure wash until you can drink the water coming out, get all the loose rust out.
I sprayed some jasco prep and prime rust remover on the inside of the frame very generously and let stand overnight.
Wash it out well, let dry over night and start early in the morning!
I love chassis saver!

Also, the coats done this way are thin, Perfect.
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #147
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Magnet, I am about to spray my second coat of CS then will be top coating with PlastiKote epoxy paint, how long should I let the CS dry before top coating? Couldn't find it on the can...
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #148
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GrayTJ View Post
Magnet, I am about to spray my second coat of CS then will be top coating with PlastiKote epoxy paint, how long should I let the CS dry before top coating? Couldn't find it on the can...
Let it dry 3 to 6 hours until you can touch it lightly with you fingertips and there is only slight tack left
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #149
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Let it dry 3 to 6 hours until you can touch it lightly with you fingertips and there is only slight tack left
Magnetman, I had a similar question actually.... I just finished my second coat but cant get to top coating it with Rustoleum within 3-6 hours..... If I do it within 24 hours will it be ok? I just dont want to have to sand everything before top coating...

Previous Jeeps:
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #150
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19OlllllllO41 View Post
Magnetman, I had a similar question actually.... I just finished my second coat but cant get to top coating it with Rustoleum within 3-6 hours..... If I do it within 24 hours will it be ok? I just dont want to have to sand everything before top coating...
24 hrs is fine. I only gave the 3 to 6 as a guideline as to has to how soon you can topcoat

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.