JKS Flex Connect in Action! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 08-26-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
jksrep
Pete from JKS

2007 JK Wrangler 

JKS Flex Connect in Action!

Hey Guys! I've gotten a lot of requests to see the Flex Connect in action.

I put together this video showing the Crawl spring set from the Flex Connect Performance Spring kit installed in the Flex Connect. Please get ahold of us if you have any questions! In the meantime, enjoy this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsTAQNhd6xE

Pete from JKS Manufacturing

Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/JKSMFG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 08-26-2015, 10:51 PM
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Awesome bit of engineering right there. So how much performance gain will u see on a stock setup vs lifted? I like my e disconnect but the wife could seriously do without some of the body roll action on some of the trails we frequent. I plan to lift once my KMs bite the dust. But I still have 20-25k of tire tread remaining so it's going to be a bit before all that happens. So can u explain why there is 38" of travel with sway disconnect, but only 36 when connected with "flexers"? Is that the reason for less body roll action?
post #3 of 54 Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 AM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Very interesting and cool product. I’m looking forward to seeing some feedback on this.
post #4 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
jksrep
Pete from JKS

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cj7amc304auto View Post
Awesome bit of engineering right there. So how much performance gain will u see on a stock setup vs lifted? I like my e disconnect but the wife could seriously do without some of the body roll action on some of the trails we frequent. I plan to lift once my KMs bite the dust. But I still have 20-25k of tire tread remaining so it's going to be a bit before all that happens. So can u explain why there is 38" of travel with sway disconnect, but only 36 when connected with "flexers"? Is that the reason for less body roll action?
You'll need a small lift to use the Flex Connect due to length. It currently is compatible with JKs with 2-5" of lift.

You'll see a significant reduction in body roll because you still get the stability of the sway bar, which will keep the Jeep from leaning into obstacles. There is a great example of that on the video. With the wheels connected together with the sway bar it holds the truck upright.

You lose a small amount of articulation because you're still running into the factory sway bar. All sway bars limit articulation at some point. With a lot of aftermarket bars the bar itself is so soft that you don't run into the point that the bar can't twist anymore before the suspension itself runs out of flex. The compromise with an aftermarket bar is that is usually doesn't do much for you on the street. The Flex Connect link eats up a portion of the travel in the sway bar, engaging the sway bar later. The spring rate of the sway bar goes up as you compress it, so by compressing it less with the Flex Connect link in the system you've effectively lowered the spring rate of the sway bar, but there is still a point as you twist it that the vehicle's weight can't overcome the sway bar and articulation stops. It will be different for different vehicles. A 6500 lb 4 door (and there are some 6500 pounders out there) will see a little more flex than a 4700lb 2 door.

I still think there are situations when obstacles get really big that there is no replacement for being able to disconnect your sway bar, but for 90% of the trails out there you get everything you need with the Flex Connect with better stability.

Pete from JKS Manufacturing

Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/JKSMFG
post #5 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 AM
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Beautiful off-road/on-road mod !!!-

It logically allows the swaybar to remain connected, but "Eases" into and "Out of" 90% of the irregular surfaces--

Ingenious-

JIMBO

Yellow Jeep No. 683
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...10-snow027.jpg
--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #6 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 09:43 AM
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks pretty interesting and I might be interested in one. I have disconnects but it is sort of a pain when offroad switching between running faster between obstacles and the actual obstacles.

Which springs does it come with and how much are the other springs. Would sort of be cool if it came with all the springs, or you could choose which springs you wanted? Looks like I will have to spend 300 for the links then spend more to buy more springs? End up spending $400 bucks? That is about what the anti-rock or similar is.

So, I don't know, my initial thought is it seems a bit on the expensive side.
post #7 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 AM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post

No more expensive than any other quality accessories for the JK’s.
post #8 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 AM
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well u guys got my attention!!! I have e disco and for the most part I like. But my trails (Ocotillo) switch from off road wide open washes for miles... to hills and then more washes. Nice part is that hwy 78 can get ya back to camp relatively quickly if fatigue, injury, women complaints, etc set in. I dislike that e disco turns off at 18 mph I wish it would go to at least 25 mph that seems to be the sweet spot on a lot of my trails. So my future plans were to add quick disconnects. But I have reservations because we have some non-jeep rigs in our group. It would be nice to keep that sway bar linked with ur product to keep up and not slow people down messing with manual disconnects multiple times per day. How do these things handle that sweet spot between 18-25 mph I'm wondering? The e disco combined with ur product seems like the best of both worlds. Darn glad I didn't buy manual disconnects because it looks initially like I might have found something better. Price is a concern though because I like the sway bar being completely disconnected and we aren't always hauling butt/rock crawling/etc... We tend to switch from one terrain to another pretty regularly... so wondering if my setup is fine for what I do or whether I really need these. Still trying to think this thru all trail situations. U might be getting some of my mod money soon. Good idea it's amazing no one thought of this sooner....
post #9 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 AM
BRC_1980
2008 JK Wrangler 

You have to buy both right now so it's going to be $400. I get mine tomorrow so I'll report back once I have a few days with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Looks pretty interesting and I might be interested in one. I have disconnects but it is sort of a pain when offroad switching between running faster between obstacles and the actual obstacles.

Which springs does it come with and how much are the other springs. Would sort of be cool if it came with all the springs, or you could choose which springs you wanted? Looks like I will have to spend 300 for the links then spend more to buy more springs? End up spending $400 bucks? That is about what the anti-rock or similar is.

post #10 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 11:29 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have never seen a shock absorber on a sway bar! Makes so much sense it simply amazes me. Body roll happens faster than articulation so let travel go far just not fast! Rate of transfer over weight of transfer...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a hard knock...
post #11 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 12:23 PM
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

You know.... Metalcloaks twist lock system for radius arm TJ lifts would work really well like this as well. Locked for the road, semi springy for the trail.
post #12 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 04:04 PM
Gary2
2012 JK Wrangler 

On my TJ I like how the Antirock reduces a lot of the back and forth rocking when turning while on the road kind of like entering a driveway with a lip . I bought the Antirock for that reason mainly and what it did off road was an added bonus for me. I was wondering if this would help reduce the bobble head effect on the street also or should I just go antirock on the JK too?
post #13 of 54 Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 PM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im assuming the shocks were the limiting factor when disconnected. What is the stroke of your a shock? Collapsed and extended lengths? How much of the stroke is used when connected vs disconnected?

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
post #14 of 54 Old 08-29-2015, 02:48 PM
BRC_1980
2008 JK Wrangler 

One thing I can't find is how long to make the passenger one for a 3.5 lift. Right now I just made it the same as the flex connect but it brings my sway bar level if not a little below. My other ones were 12" and my bar was up a little. The most I think I can make them is 10.5 inches but that's going to take two people because that shock is stiff to push the bar up.

Slade I'm going to throw it on a Forklift to see if I can get that number for you. I couldn't move that thing out of the box.
post #15 of 54 Old 08-30-2015, 10:17 PM
SlyDawg64

2014 JK Wrangler 

I just installed these this morning and took the Jeep out for a short trial run. I could tell no difference on the road so went on a rough construction road. Still could not tell a difference. For $300 I expected something. Hopefully I will be more impressed with them once I get them on some trails. Will be taking it on some moderate trails mid-week to see how it does. I got these from a sales company that wanted them tested prior to selling them.
Installation was fairly easy except I had to ream out the ends of the sway bars due to an inner lip for the 1/2" bolts to fit.

New:
2014 JKU Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, 3" TerraFlex lift, Toyo MT 35x12.5x18 tires, Warn Powerplant,

Old:
2010 JK Rubicon, 2 dr., 3" Terraflex lift and adjustable rear track bar, Toyo 35x12.5 tires, custom bumpers, Warn Powerplant, KC lights, B&M trans cooler, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.