Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 94 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #1396
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojeeptj View Post
To anyone who has painted this on in their garage, how long is this smell going to stay?!? I've had fans on inside the garage trying to push out the odor but every time I close the garage door for the night then come open it back up in the morning, it still reeks!
While you are home, set the fans just outside the garage facing inward so they pump fresh air into the garage

should take a few days to go away

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #1397
aerojeeptj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ahhh didn't think of that, nice!
aerojeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #1398
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My Monstaliner project is complete. Unfortunately I don't have any pics yet as I still haven't put it all back together. Working on some other things.

The worst part was the sanding. A few times I asked myself why I was doing this. When I put the first coat on I used the brush to work it into the nooks and crannys as well as along the tape line. The product rolled on easily and it covered well. Rolled both coats in one day.

My biggest complaint is that the roller started falling apart about 3/4 through the first coat. I didn't really want to use the second roller so soon but I had to. I would recommend getting at least one extra roller if not two. Of course, you mileage may vary with them. I have some bits of the roller foam in the product which makes for some sharp bumps that I will have to deal with.

I had about a quart left over more or less. I capped the can good and then today I decided I was going to do the grill and front vertical surfaces of the fenders. I *did not* coat the tailgate. Sanded and prepped the grill and rolled on one really thick coat. I am glad that I did this and it looks great. It will definitely protect against stone chips.

I see that a single quart quantity will be available and if so I will get it and coat the tailgate to complete the look.

While I can't comment on it's durability the project is doable by anyone. A lot of elbow grease and a little patience is all that's needed. I was more nervous about sanding down the perfectly good paint on the grill only to cover it up.

Thanks to the JF members who answered questions and posted writeups and a huge thank you to Magnetman for all his answers to our repetitive questions and for an awesome product.
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #1399
SimonsTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Is that spray can Rustoleum primer or liquid from a regular paint can?
It is the liquid from the regular paint can clean metal primer and it was rolled on, if that makes a difference.
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #1400
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonsTJ View Post
It is the liquid from the regular paint can clean metal primer and it was rolled on, if that makes a difference.
Application method was irrelevant. Just concerned that it was not spray can stuff since solvents have tendency to soften spray paints.

You're ok, just scuff surfaces with pad supplied in kit you ordered, clean out sand dust and wipe surfaces with mineral spirits (NO MEK here since that may re-dissolve the rustoleum primer)

Thanks for the order!

PS: That's a cool little trailer, I would really love to have some good photos of before and after Monstaliner
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #1401
SimonsTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
PS: That's a cool little trailer, I would really love to have some good photos of before and after Monstaliner
Thanks I will post pictures here when I finish, and I can send you the high-res photos if you like.
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #1402
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I actually found a roller at Home Depot that I think will work perfectly.

We picked one of those up last night. The bag says it is solvent resistant. It was $4, and has some texture to it. Not quite the same as the rollers that come with the kit, but it should be enough to give a good base coat.
This will not give you texture. It will only spread the coating. Cut that into 2 x 4 inch lengths and use it for first coat.
OK, I'm probably going to end up doing my truck bed first, and my question is really in regards to why cut the roller up instead of using the thing whole (which seems like it'd be significantly faster in a pickup bed)?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #1403
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
My Monstaliner project is complete. Unfortunately I don't have any pics yet as I still haven't put it all back together. Working on some other things.

The worst part was the sanding. A few times I asked myself why I was doing this. When I put the first coat on I used the brush to work it into the nooks and crannys as well as along the tape line. The product rolled on easily and it covered well. Rolled both coats in one day.

My biggest complaint is that the roller started falling apart about 3/4 through the first coat. I didn't really want to use the second roller so soon but I had to. I would recommend getting at least one extra roller if not two. Of course, you mileage may vary with them. I have some bits of the roller foam in the product which makes for some sharp bumps that I will have to deal with.

I had about a quart left over more or less. I capped the can good and then today I decided I was going to do the grill and front vertical surfaces of the fenders. I *did not* coat the tailgate. Sanded and prepped the grill and rolled on one really thick coat. I am glad that I did this and it looks great. It will definitely protect against stone chips.

I see that a single quart quantity will be available and if so I will get it and coat the tailgate to complete the look.

While I can't comment on it's durability the project is doable by anyone. A lot of elbow grease and a little patience is all that's needed. I was more nervous about sanding down the perfectly good paint on the grill only to cover it up.

Thanks to the JF members who answered questions and posted writeups and a huge thank you to Magnetman for all his answers to our repetitive questions and for an awesome product.
Not a problem with the questions. It's been great to help everyone and the questions have helped me focus on what issues people have most to deal with when I revise our installation instructions and literature. Getting new business has also been a plus so thanks again to everyone here. I just noticed recently that this thread is the #1 vendor thread for posts and views!

Regarding you foam pieces issue: Before coating cures too hard, get a razor blade or sharp Xacto knife and carefully trim off the worst nubs. Don't pull them out of the coating.
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #1404
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonsTJ View Post
Thanks I will post pictures here when I finish, and I can send you the high-res photos if you like.
Thanks, let me see what pics you get and I'll let you know what to send in hi-res

MM
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #1405
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
OK, I'm probably going to end up doing my truck bed first, and my question is really in regards to why cut the roller up instead of using the thing whole (which seems like it'd be significantly faster in a pickup bed)?
Honestly I have never rolled Monstaliner with a 9" roller and I don't know that I would. It gets sticky.

I guess if you just plan to use that for laying down the coating it would work as long as you come back over it with the blue foam.

Note if that's your plan, wet the foam roller first in coating before rolling over the surface that already has the liner down.
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #1406
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
Finished up!!

Front door jam:

Rear of door jam:

Top rails:

Floor:

Nice color scheme! Reminds me of how I did mine with the Monstaliner!
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #1407
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

I'm going to just try redoing the back hatch area of my Grand cherokee. I'm going to just roll it on.

What I need to buy is

1 quart of black with the catlast.
2 blue rollers. They fit sdandard small Rollers right?
1 drill bit mixing paddle

I will get some good pics of the rust spots in the raptor for you.

I know alot of people on here have used it. But how many have had water sitting in it for a couple of days?

I wend to the beach, had ice and ice chests in the back and look what the raptor did.

I don't know if the salt made the pin holes show up faster or what.

I can pay with a credit card or paypal.

Thanks,
Brandon

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Soon to come Lock Right Front Locker.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Texas Jeep Club Member #78
bjl95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #1408
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl95mustang View Post
I'm going to just try redoing the back hatch area of my Grand cherokee. I'm going to just roll it on.

What I need to buy is

1 quart of black with the catlast.
2 blue rollers. They fit sdandard small Rollers right?
1 drill bit mixing paddle

I will get some good pics of the rust spots in the raptor for you.

I know alot of people on here have used it. But how many have had water sitting in it for a couple of days?

I wend to the beach, had ice and ice chests in the back and look what the raptor did.

I don't know if the salt made the pin holes show up faster or what.

I can pay with a credit card or paypal.

Thanks,
Brandon
bjl95mustang

PM sent
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #1409
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

OOOOOO.... Sounds like something special is about to happen.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #1410
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
OOOOOO.... Sounds like something special is about to happen.
go watch some TV

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.