Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 93 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Reply
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #1381
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl95mustang View Post
You know what. I just went out there and looked and it was a spot that was original paint and not sanded well. I hadent pulled the liner pieces off yet.

Now to the very small rust spots. The best way to describe them is it looks like tiny spot the size of a ball point pen. I just went and had a detailed look and it's almost like the coverage had small holes that left the primer bare.

I would like to know if I can brush the monsta on the raptor for the first coat to ensure proper coverage, then spray a coat on for texture?
Yes you can brush/roll over the Raptor and then spray a final coat. You just need to clean and scuff the Raptor first.

Regarding the problems you have now:
All coatings shrink as they cure. Any spots that were not sanded well could show the problem you describe with the cracked or lifting material.

The rusting spots sound like you did not get complete coverage and the pinholes allowed moisture to get through and start rusting.
This is one of the drawbacks of spraying vs rolling. Rolling forces the coating into the surface and ensures complete wetting of the surface and full coverage.
Your surface prep probably cut through the primer slightly to expose some bare metal which is rusting through the pinholes.

I need you to check something... When you pull off the piece that has lifted, you need to check the adhesion of the area right next to
that to see if the Raptor continues to peel up further from the problem spot. Work a knife under the edge and tell me what happens.
Don't go crazy, just lift at the edges. Is it stuck good or does it want to continue peeling?

Important: WHERE DID YOU USE THE ETCHING PRIMER? Over bare metal or over paint?

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #1382
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
Thanks.

One other question. What is the longest time possible to wait to roll on the second coat?
You can wait up to 48 hours but you need to be concerned with your tape lines.

The longer you leave the tape the more risk of tape sticking and some really crappy/fuzzy edges when removing.

If you must wait to do 2nd coat it is not unheard of to pull tape after 1st coat and very carefully re-tape before 2nd coat right up against your edges.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #1383
bjl95mustang
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 805
I took a knife to the areas around it, it's solid. I did a quick check on the rest of it and it looks ok, but that was at night with a flash light.

I used the etch primer over mostly bare metal. There were some spots with paint. If I decied to use the monstaliner I was thinking of scraping all over the place to check for any loose spots. It was a paint spot I missed because the primer came up with the raptor.

I'm thinking of brushing/rolling it on there then spraying the rest. I'm doing it in my grand cherokee and there are alot of curves that I don't think will look right if it was rolled. But I have never used the roll way so i'm not sure. I have the under coating spray gun I just need an empty bottle.

Are you planning on selling it by the quart any time soon? I'm thinking of doing the back hatch area and see how it looks. I just don't want to mess with the whole gallon at once. Or is it pretty easy to masure out a quart of the mix and do it that way? I noticed the hardner is pretty thick. And if I open the cans how long is the shelf life if I seal them back up with out mixing?

How would you recomend scuffing the raptor up?

Thanks,
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Yes you can brush/roll over the Raptor and then spray a final coat. You just need to clean and scuff the Raptor first.

Regarding the problems you have now:
All coatings shrink as they cure. Any spots that were not sanded well could show the problem you describe with the cracked or lifting material.

The rusting spots sound like you did not get complete coverage and the pinholes allowed moisture to get through and start rusting.
This is one of the drawbacks of spraying vs rolling. Rolling forces the coating into the surface and ensures complete wetting of the surface and full coverage.
Your surface prep probably cut through the primer slightly to expose some bare metal which is rusting through the pinholes.

I need you to check something... When you pull off the piece that has lifted, you need to check the adhesion of the area right next to
that to see if the Raptor continues to peel up further from the problem spot. Work a knife under the edge and tell me what happens.
Don't go crazy, just lift at the edges. Is it stuck good or does it want to continue peeling?

Important: WHERE DID YOU USE THE ETCHING PRIMER? Over bare metal or over paint?
__________________
ZJ 98 5.2 LIMITED De-Badged

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Soon to come Lock Right Front Locker.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Texas Jeep Club Member #78
bjl95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #1384
Polecat
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Holladay, UT
Posts: 1,994
The first coat is in. I used the brush to work the stuff into the corners and then used the roller. The first roller fell apart about 3/4 of they way through the first coat.

So far it looks good.
__________________
Over the mountains and through the woods, across the stream and up the slickrock, down the canyon and over the rocks to nobody's house I go.
Polecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #1385
TxFireman1972
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beaumont, Tx
Posts: 238
Finished up!!

Front door jam:



Rear of door jam:



Top rails:





Floor:



TxFireman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #1386
aerojeeptj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: A Little South of Sanity
Posts: 854
Oh dang! I love the door jams and rails, I was thinking of doing the door jam but ended up not
aerojeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #1387
Tinga
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,331
Oh boy after this weekends MudFest I'm wishing I would have lined the tub.
Looking good on the installs. Definitely doing the jams and top rail now
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #1388
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl95mustang View Post
I took a knife to the areas around it, it's solid. I did a quick check on the rest of it and it looks ok, but that was at night with a flash light.

I used the etch primer over mostly bare metal. There were some spots with paint. If I decied to use the monstaliner I was thinking of scraping all over the place to check for any loose spots. It was a paint spot I missed because the primer came up with the raptor.

I'm thinking of brushing/rolling it on there then spraying the rest. I'm doing it in my grand cherokee and there are alot of curves that I don't think will look right if it was rolled. But I have never used the roll way so i'm not sure. I have the under coating spray gun I just need an empty bottle.

Are you planning on selling it by the quart any time soon? I'm thinking of doing the back hatch area and see how it looks. I just don't want to mess with the whole gallon at once. Or is it pretty easy to masure out a quart of the mix and do it that way? I noticed the hardner is pretty thick. And if I open the cans how long is the shelf life if I seal them back up with out mixing?

How would you recomend scuffing the raptor up?

Thanks,
Brandon
Etch primer is not really designed for coating painted surfaces so double check any other areas that may be questionable.

I have some quarts packed with catalyst in small cans. Was not ready to sell like this but what the heck if you need it like that.
Buy the bottle at the link you posted.

Measuring parts of a gallon is no big deal and the unused material will be good for months if you reseal the can well. If you wanted the gallon you would need some mixing cups to measure 28 oz bedliner + 4 oz catalyst (this is 1 complete quart)

You'll need to thin a mixed quart of Monstaliner + catalyst with 4 oz of MEK.
You should mix the catalyst into the can with the liner and then dump the mixture into larger container to mix in the MEK, then fill your bottle.

Give me a few days and I'll have a part # for quarts to add to the Monstaliner shop cart or let me know if you want to measure as explained above using gallon.

Scuff the Raptor with 100 grit paper to generate a light dust. Just light sanding, not too aggressive.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #1389
Deacon
Web Wheeler
 
Deacon's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 4,390
Remind me again when rolling on the liner do you need to plug up the holes with ear plugs or golf tees or strips of rolled up newspaper, or just roll right over the open holes?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #1390
TxFireman1972
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beaumont, Tx
Posts: 238
I plugged mine with ear plugs. I wouldnt want to take a chance of getting the bedliner down on the threads. For me it just seemed easier to stick some ear plugs in, rather than deal with trying to get the bedliner out of the threads if it did get in there.
TxFireman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #1391
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Remind me again when rolling on the liner do you need to plug up the holes with ear plugs or golf tees or strips of rolled up newspaper, or just roll right over the open holes?
You can also ball up some blue tape ten remove with a drywall screw by hand after coating
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #1392
SimonsTJ
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 129
I just ordered a gallon of Monstaliner for my M416 Trailer. Unfortunately I herculined the inside of the jeep last summer before I knew about this product.

The Inside of the bed is currently coated in rustoleum primer. What is the best way to prep the surface for the Monstaliner to ensure proper adhesion?

Here is a pic of said trailer
__________________
Indy is my new BFF!
SimonsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #1393
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonsTJ View Post
I just ordered a gallon of Monstaliner for my M416 Trailer. Unfortunately I herculined the inside of the jeep last summer before I knew about this product.

The Inside of the bed is currently coated in rustoleum primer. What is the best way to prep the surface for the Monstaliner to ensure proper adhesion?

Here is a pic of said trailer
Is that spray can Rustoleum primer or liquid from a regular paint can?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #1394
Gregg00SS
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PSL, Florida
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
Oh boy after this weekends MudFest I'm wishing I would have lined the tub.
Looking good on the installs. Definitely doing the jams and top rail now
I agree. I am planning on doing the door jams but still debating if I'm going to do just the first lip or the entire thing like the pic shows, any thoughts from anyone on which way to go? Just finished gutting the YJ minus the driver seat. My liner won't be here until the 12th so have a few more days until the fun begins. Gonna take the jeep by work in a little bit and use our shop vac to get all the leaves / dirt /rust out of the interior and then start sanding. Expect to have everything done by the time my liner shows up in the mail. So hopefully by the end of the week it will be in.
Gregg00SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #1395
aerojeeptj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: A Little South of Sanity
Posts: 854
To anyone who has painted this on in their garage, how long is this smell going to stay?!? I've had fans on inside the garage trying to push out the odor but every time I close the garage door for the night then come open it back up in the morning, it still reeks!
aerojeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote



Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.