Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 10-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #121
rottenpuppets
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virmagicus View Post
Could not agree with you more. NY right now is too cool. How much will the temp go up with the liner on versus off?
Yeah we were unable to get any valuable readings even tho that afternoon it was a good 65+ with the sun out. I ended up being on the road for an 1:20 from when i left to when I got out there. But with the carpet still in my Jeep it especially made it useless. We did get the measurements done so Magnetman will be able to figure out proper sized kits so not all was lost

[COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.outlawedoffroad.com"]Outlawed Offroad[/URL][/COLOR] - LI/NY Jeepers
rottenpuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #122
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenpuppets View Post
Yeah we were unable to get any valuable readings even tho that afternoon it was a good 65+ with the sun out. I ended up being on the road for an 1:20 from when i left to when I got out there. But with the carpet still in my Jeep it especially made it useless. We did get the measurements done so Magnetman will be able to figure out proper sized kits so not all was lost
We do not need to know any more than we do right now..

We are just going to sloooooly heat some steel panels with cured coating until we melt, torch or otherwise destroy the stuff. We'll document the surface temp of the coating and the steel along the way and then we will know what to expect and what various coatings are capable of withstanding.

Simple mad scientist stuff!

MagnetMan
magnetman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #123
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

magnetman, what is the recomended cure time. Like, how long should you wait before reinstalling the seats???

I would let it cure for 24 hours more than reomended cure time before perfroming those tests.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #124
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
We do not need to know any more than we do right now..

We are just going to sloooooly heat some steel panels with cured coating until we melt, torch or otherwise destroy the stuff. We'll document the surface temp of the coating and the steel along the way and then we will know what to expect and what various coatings are capable of withstanding.

Simple mad scientist stuff!

MagnetMan
Werd. That'll be a useful data set.

So far your stuff looks like a serious contender. If a smaller volume kit is needed for a Jeep than your current size, and price is closer to that of some of the kits out there, it's gonna be hard to beat yours... and once the proof is posted... you'll have a new market, I predict.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #125
taythegibs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

wow, your product looks really nice. like said many times the price is high but if your product is proven and backed up i cant see why not paying a bit more to get a better product.
taythegibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #126
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Man, I need to work out a day or two when I can head down (with a new front bumper, of course) to get a free kit installed on the exterior.

Then we can see how it'll handle upstate as well.
______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]

_.(o)_)__(o)_)-o-)_)
Tarukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #127
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
magnetman, what is the recomended cure time. Like, how long should you wait before reinstalling the seats???
If you installed Monstaliner in a jeep tub, I would wait 48 hours before attempting to bolt back seats and reassemble components removed.

Quote:
I would let it cure for 24 hours more than reomended cure time before perfroming those tests.
As far as the heat resistance tests, the coating should really cure for minimum of 7 days before testing.
Unread 10-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #128
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice to know, have you guys jumped in a pickup bed after 48 hours to see if it would scratch with such a short cure time?
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 10-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #129
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
nice to know, have you guys jumped in a pickup bed after 48 hours to see if it would scratch with such a short cure time?
I've jumped in a bed after only 24 hours without intentionally trying to scratch or damage it.
Unread 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #130
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is really good to hear, I know with the raptor, I know 2006sport put a small scrath in his when installing the seats because he didn't wait long enough, I think it was something like 48 hours which is recomended, he said he should have waited 1 week.
Unread 10-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #131
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That is really good to hear, I know with the raptor, I know 2006sport put a small scrath in his when installing the seats because he didn't wait long enough, I think it was something like 48 hours which is recomended, he said he should have waited 1 week.
Every situation is different and there are too many variables to compare. If one application is a little heavier or another application is done in the fall vs summer, each job will cure a bit differently.

If I spent the time to do it right after disassembling the vehicle, surface prep and taping, I would not rush to slap it back together too soon.

I could see where some may need the vehicle and the inconvenience factor forces you to rush putting vehicle back into service but a few more days inconvenience is better than trashing the job.
Unread 10-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #132
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Testing paint adhesion to plastic

Does anyone have any wrecked, broken, mangled,
bent or just obsolete plastic fender flares laying around?
Unread 10-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #133
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you do are willing to do the install of a full tub, you may be able to have mine for 3 days for install, pics, flares if you really want and even the front bumper. I would have to talk to my mom first, my dad is all for it, but it is my mom's name on the title. If it does work out, you would be able to have it November 7, 8, and 9. I don't think I would have a problem with you coating my flares because if I really did hate it, I could just sand it off.

Edit: I did use about 8oz of a 12oz can of Rustoleum Hammered for the entire rear bumper. 1 coat. If I am not mistake, 1 can is supoosed to be about 15 square feet. That is about 10 square feet (that makes more sense than my original 35) for one bumper. More testing may be needed to verifyy this though.

Last edited by LuckRider; 10-26-2009 at 12:00 AM..
Unread 10-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #134
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If you do are willing to do the install of a full tub, you may be able to have mine for 3 days for install, pics, flares if you really want and even the front bumper. I would have to talk to my mom first, my dad is all for it, but it is my mom's name on the title. If it does work out, you would be able to have it November 7, 8, and 9. I don't think I would have a problem with you coating my flares because if I really did hate it, I could just sand it off.
Right now I'm just looking for some plastic fender flares to do some adhesion testing.
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #135
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have you guys tried adhesion to wood. I have a center console that I built (never really fully finished it yet) and realized on my way home from class yesterday that this stuff would be perfect for it.

As for the plastic, I would just say grab a plastic bottle, but if you have ever felt the flares, they are slightly oily, or greasy feeling (hard to explain). If you do manage to get your hands on something, I would but it in half, and see how it adheres without sanding, and with sanding it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.